Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,224 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default since Obama is going to be our next president...

...its time to focus on the VP candidate that will make him worry the least about a perceived lack of substance.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370405,00.html

(recent richardson appearance on hannity and holmes concerning off shore drilling and an actual energy plan)

Quote:
RICHARDSON: Well, besides the fact that the oceans are fragile ecosystems, the Energy Information Agency, which is part of the Department of Energy, although it's independent, has basically said that prices, fuel prices won't go down with this action until the year 2030. So there is no effect on prices by this action.

The point that we need to make is that we need a comprehensive bipartisan energy strategy that involves, yes, more drilling in the United States and environmentally sustainable way. Fuel efficiency standards for vehicles, 50 miles per gallon. Energy efficiency by 20 percent, renewable technologies and you know, look at what the Congress did.

They are ready to go ahead the Republican Congress, the Republican president and proceed with opening up drilling, but they can't even extend the solar tax credit and wind credit beyond this year.
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/902/eg1.htm

(richardson this week politicing in egypt and israel)

Quote:
On Monday, Richardson met President Hosni Mubarak, Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul-Gheit and Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa for talks on the potential of improving relations between Washington and Cairo and the rest of the Arab world should Obama enter the White House this year. Officials say Richardson was not short on criticism of US foreign policy on the Middle East during the past eight years of the George Bush administration and that he appreciated Egyptian and other Arab concerns over the situation in Iraq and the fate of the Arab- Israeli struggle. They added, however, that Richardson shared no clear or concrete proposals to remedy the harm done during the Bush years. Richardson was just there to acknowledge the mistakes and to promise the determination to engage in a concerted effort to rectify the situation, particularly in relation to what he qualified as a too-little-too-late intervention by the Bush administration to settle the Palestinian-Israeli problem.

"I believe that the US should have a full-time Middle East [envoy]," Richardson stated in an address given at the invitation of the Egyptian International Economic Forum on Monday evening. According to Richardson, the function of such an envoy will be basic but crucial: secure a day in, day out intervention with the parties, especially on the Israeli-Palestinian front, to facilitate a deal. Without the US being "more aggressive in pushing the parties towards peace", a settlement for the decades-long struggle might remain elusive.
Quote:
Meanwhile, while in Cairo, Richardson argued that a Middle East peace would not just be about Israel and the Palestinians but would have to include all the other parties, especially Syria. Indeed, according to Richardson's statements on Monday, Syria must be engaged not just to promote a comprehensive peace deal between Arabs and Israelis but also to promote regional stability in general.

To serve the same purpose Richardson also proposed that the US needs to "talk to Iran" despite the positions of its president. Arguing that it would be a security threat to the region and beyond, he still thought that the way to win Iran was to talk with it rather than to go to war against it. The US, he said, could press Russia to exercise more influence on Iran in view of the close ties and cooperation, including nuclear, between Moscow and Tehran. Sanctions, he added, if adhered to at the international level, could also be an option.

Overall, Richardson was arguing the case for Washington to be more dependant on the apparatus of multilateralism, especially the UN and international law, and including the International Court of Justice, to promote its policies. "It is time that the US provides new leadership," he said. He added that this leadership should be inspired by "an ethical new realism that is based less on military and more on diplomacy."
http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq...3/daily12.html

and if anyone thinks he's anti-military-

Quote:
Gov. Bill Richardson and William C. Anderson, assistant secretary of the U.S. Air Force, agreed this week to move forward with the expansion of Cannon Air Force Base in Clovis.

Richardson worked with the Legislature to secure $5 million for land for Cannon's expansion and to support new missions, following the 2006 military base-closure process that threatened to permanently close the base.
vp or not, atleast hes still doing a great job of trying to bring technology, energy recources to NM and make sure the military presence keeps growing....
Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: since Obama is going to be our next president...

I don't believe Obama will be our next President, but good luck on Richardson being selected as his VP running mate. I know how much you support the guy.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
They are ready to go ahead — the Republican Congress, the Republican president — and proceed with opening up drilling, but they can't even extend the solar tax credit and wind credit beyond this year.
Isn't wind power five times as expensive as compared to using the estimated TRILLION dollars of clean burning coal that we can't touch since Clinton made it off limits as a favor to Riady? I am all for alternatives but when the government wants to subsidize things....we all know who ends up paying for it. Just look at the ethanol fiasco. Plus wind power is fine as long as it's not in sight of Ted Kennedy's summer home and thus polluting his view.

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 06-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Not so sure Obama wins in November. He has to overcome the following obstacles:

- Florida and Michigan will count.
- Actual elections in every state. No caucuses.
- You can't get fewer votes and still win a state (Texas).
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The VP choices will be huge this election. Love him or hate him, Cheney expanded the role of the Veep significantly, and people will pay a lot more attention to the #2 on the ticket then ever before.

WAY too early to call this one. The Dems are gonna get smaked around if they want to play the "flip-fllop" card on McCain, since Obama is doing the ultimate flop, moving himself halfway across the political spectrum and re-casting himself as a centrist/moderate. I'm not sure he'll be able to pull that rabbit out of the hat.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Remember in 2004, the Gay Marriage ban was on the ballet in 12 states and Bush carried those states because the right wing came out to vote in full force.

The same ban is on the ballot again this year, in California and I think Florida.

Don't go handing the keys to the white house to Obama just yet.

McCain plays the "underdog" role like no candidate has in a very long time. That's how he won the Rep Nomination. Put McCain up against the "world" and he shines. He's horrible out in front in polls, but much better stratching and clawing his way to the top.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I don't think he'll win either. But you're making me nervous now. This country is officially going down the tubes if he does and I don't want any part of it. I've been seriously considering buying land in Costa Rica anyway. I can always move back after he's run out of office.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't think he'll win either. But you're making me nervous now. This country is officially going down the tubes if he does and I don't want any part of it. I've been seriously considering buying land in Costa Rica anyway. I can always move back after he's run out of office.
Alec Baldwin, is that you? j/k

Seriously though, I have faith in this country's ability to rise above any presidential administration, no matter how bad or corrupt or incompetent - it survived LBJ, Nixon and Watergate, after all. I won't be voting for Obama, but should he win, I will at least give him a chance.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Really, the Prez can only due so much, with the Supreme Court making some of its obscene rulings and the Congress making a mess of every piece of legislation that they get their hands on, its hard to just blame the woes or the prosperity of a nation on one guy in an oval office. The idea of moving out doesn't even occur to me...I'll just clutch tighter to my guns and religion if Obama wins.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

I don't think Obama will win. I just have this feeling that somewhere along the way he's going to do or say something stupid thats going to sink him. Or maybe another of his fairy tale stories is gonna catch up to him again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote