Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Krauth puts "The Hammer" down on Obama

Yikes. This is pretty brutal:

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commen...l?page=all&c=y

Opportunistic Obama
Published on Sunday, Jun 29, 2008
To be clear: Barack will support a filibuster of any bill that includes retroactive immunity for telecommunications companies.
Obama spokesman Bill Burton, Oct. 24, 2007
WASHINGTON: That was then: Democratic primaries to be won, netroot lefties to be seduced. With all that (and Hillary Clinton) out of the way, Obama now says he'll vote in favor of the new FISA bill that gives the telecom companies blanket immunity for post-9/11 eavesdropping.
Back then, in the yesteryear of primary season, he thoroughly trashed the North American Free Trade Agreement, pledging to force a renegotiation, take ''the hammer'' to Canada and Mexico, and threaten unilateral abrogation.
Today, the hammer is holstered. Obama calls his previous NAFTA rhetoric ''overheated'' and essentially endorses what one of his senior economic advisers privately told the Canadians: The anti-trade stuff was nothing more than populist posturing.
Nor is there much left of his primary season pledge to meet ''without preconditions'' with Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. There will be ''preparations,'' you see, which are being spun by his aides into the functional equivalent of preconditions.
Obama's long march to the center has begun.
And why not? What's the downside? He won't lose the left, or even mainstream Democrats. They won't stay home on Nov. 4. The anti-Bush, anti-Republican sentiment is simply too strong. Election Day is their day of revenge for the Florida recount, for Swift-boating, for all the injuries, real and imagined, dealt out by Republicans over the last eight years.
Normally, flip-flopping presidential candidates have to worry about the press. Not Obama. After all, this is a press corps that heard his grandiloquent Philadelphia speech designed to rationalize why ''I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown my white grandmother'' then wiped away a tear and hailed him as the second coming of Abraham Lincoln. Three months later, with Wright disowned, grandma embraced and the great ''race speech'' now inoperative, not a word of reconsideration is heard from his media acolytes.
Worry about the press? His FISA flip-flop elicited a few grumbles from lefty bloggers, but hardly a murmur from the mainstream press. Remember his pledge to stick to public financing? Now flush with cash, he is the first general-election candidate since Watergate to opt out. Some goo-goo clean-government types chided him, but the mainstream editorialists who for years had been railing against private financing as hopelessly corrupt and corrupting, evinced only the mildest of disappointment.
Indeed, the New York Times expressed a sympathetic understanding of Obama's about-face by buying his preposterous claim that it was a pre-emptive attack on McCain's 527 independent expenditure groups notwithstanding the fact that (a) as Politico's Jonathan Martin notes, ''there are no serious anti-Obama 527s in existence nor are there any immediate plans to create such a group'' and (b) the only independent ad of any consequence now running in the entire country is an AFSCME-MoveOn.org co-production savaging McCain.
True, Obama's U-turn on public financing was not done for ideological reasons, it was done for Willie Sutton reasons: That's where the money is. It nonetheless betrayed a principle that so many in the press claimed to hold dear.
As public financing is not a principle dear to me, I am hardly dismayed by Obama's abandonment of it. Nor am I disappointed in the least by his other calculated and cynical repositionings. I have never had any illusions about Obama. I merely note with amazement that his media swooners seem to accept his every policy reversal with an equanimity unseen since the Daily Worker would change the party line overnight switching sides in World War II, for example whenever the wind from Moscow changed direction.
The truth about Obama is uncomplicated. He is just a politician (though of unusual skill and ambition). The man who dared say it plainly is the man who knows Obama all too well. ''He does what politicians do,'' explained Jeremiah Wright.
When it's time to throw campaign finance reform, telecom accountability, NAFTA renegotiation or Jeremiah Wright overboard, Obama is not sentimental. He does not hesitate. He tosses lustily.
Why, the man even tossed his own grandmother overboard back in Philadelphia only to haul her back on deck now that her services are needed. Yesterday, granny was the moral equivalent of the raving Reverend Wright. Today, she is a featured prop in Obama's fuzzy-wuzzy get-to-know-me national TV ad.

Not a flinch. Not a flicker. Not a hint of shame. By the time he's finished, Obama will make the Clintons look scrupulous.
Krauthammer is a Washington Post columnist. He can be e-mailed at letters@charleskrauthammer.com.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Krauth puts "The Hammer" down on Obama

Quote:
Obama's long march to the center has begun.
And why not? What's the downside? He won't lose the left, or even mainstream Democrats. They won't stay home on Nov. 4. The anti-Bush, anti-Republican sentiment is simply too strong. Election Day is their day of revenge — for the Florida recount, for Swift-boating, for all the injuries, real and imagined, dealt out by Republicans over the last eight years.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Most dem's have made up there mind and short of definitive proof that Obama is the Anti-christ, it is his election to lose at this point. The left wing media will dissipate Obama's negatives and sharpshoot McCain to pieces come fall imo.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

In the PC world we live in few will speak up against Obama.....in public.

When its time to step into the booth, I'll be very surprised if mainstream America is ready to vote for him.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

When its time to step into the booth, I'll be very surprised if mainstream America is ready to vote for him.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,838 Posts

Of course when McCain flip-flops Krauthammer excuses it as a principled adjustment to changed circumstances.

Here is Krauthammer, on June 20, on McCain changing his position on offshore drilling:

His policy on offshore drilling is a flip-flop from his past positions. Perfectly justified, but a reconsideration nonetheless.

Krauthammer then proceeds to accuse Obama in that same June 20 column as follows:

Alas, McCain's proposed reform is only partial. Still better than Obama, however, who refuses to deviate from liberal orthodoxy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061903022.html

Of course, in the June 27 column cited above Krauthammer takes off after Obama by charging "his long march to the center has begun"

So on June 20 Obama was accused by Kraut of refusing to deviate from "liberal orthodoxy" and on June 27 was accused of unprincipled abandonment of such alleged orthodoxy. Which is it?

I suppose Krauthammer has some credibility in accusing others of flip-flopping since he clearly is such a gifted practitioner of the art.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Well, I mean, c'mon. Krauth is far right, Obama is far left, so this isn't at all surprising. You have your EJ Dionne's carrying Obama's torch and your Krauth's carrying McCain's, and so on and so forth...that's the way it works.

Still, I'd MUCH rather have Krauth talk a little out of both sides of his mouth than hear the infantile prattling of that blithering nincompoop Maureen Dowd, whose column, were it not for ad hominem attacks, would only be about 25 words long.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
short of definitive proof that Obama is the Anti-christ,
You jest but if you've read the christian fiction book series, "Left Behind" you would notice that the head bad guy, "Carpathia" is a smooth talking double tongued lying POS too.

Could it be...the End Times start with Obama?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,774 Posts

If elected he'll make jimmy carter look good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
If elected he'll make jimmy carter look good.
.. since i dont like either candidates this election, i have decided to write myself in...

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

What main stream America? It's all splintered groups. Minorities, Unions, Educators, Gays, exploited workers.......They have made up their mind. If you listen to why people voted for Obama in interviews it's generally "for change", "a uniter", etc. Not issue based. They will ignore the negative because their minds are made up.

I think the way it will portrayed by the media is an adulterous, old, senile, fragile, flip flopper with anger problems vs. a young energetic moderate uniter with no negative track record who has been thoroughly vetted and improperly tagged by his associations with people like Wright. The AP/media did a "hit job" on Romney and had a love fest for McCain because they felt Obama could more easily beat McCain. The media smells blood and they will be circling for the kill come election time....and patting themselves on the back when Obama gets the "W".

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 07-01-2008 at 10:06 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote