Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > Fantasy Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default How does this team look?

I jsut drafted this team.

Starters:

QB- Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
RB: Willis McGahee, Ravens
RB: Michael Turner, Falcons
WR: TJ Houshmanzadeh, Bengals
WR: Chris Chambers, Chargers
WR: Dwayne Bowe, Cheifs
TE: Jason Whitten, Cowboys
K: Rob Bironas, Titans
DEF: Pittsburgh Steelers

Bench:

QB: Jake Delhomme, Panthers
RB: Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers
WR: Brandon Stokley, Broncos
WR: Limas Sweed, Steelers
TE: Donald Lee, Packers
DEF: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: How does this team look?

My take? Of the two RB"s, I think Turner may be the more valuable although I'm guessing he was your #2. I'm also guessing your pick was later in rd1? McGahee is going to lose carries to Ray Rice, and who is blocking for him now, anyway? I think Turner (who will also share carries with Norwood) will have a total breakout season.

Anyway, except for RB, that looks like a solid team (I don't have McGahee in my 1st round at all)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
My take? Of the two RB"s, I think Turner may be the more valuable although I'm guessing he was your #2. I'm also guessing your pick was later in rd1? McGahee is going to lose carries to Ray Rice, and who is blocking for him now, anyway? I think Turner (who will also share carries with Norwood) will have a total breakout season.

Anyway, except for RB, that looks like a solid team (I don't have McGahee in my 1st round at all)
I took Ben with the fifth overall pick in the first round and McGahee was my pick in the second round.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I'd need to see the points structure to make a truly informed decision, but in every league I've ever played in, no QB deserves to be taken in the 1st if they aren't named Peyton Manning. If i was you I'd monitor injuries and try to trade McGahee early. There will be an emerging back this year who will outperform him.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I took Ben with the fifth overall pick in the first round and McGahee was my pick in the second round.
Hey bud, what do you think of your team?
That is truly all that matters, unless you have a million $$$ invested in your team and if that was the case, I think you would have asked for advice before the draft
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Hey bud, what do you think of your team?
That is truly all that matters, unless you have a million $$$ invested in your team and if that was the case, I think you would have asked for advice before the draft
I think it's a very solid team.

I took Ben in the first round because the only RB I could see worth taking at that spot was gone (LT). Stephen Jackson had injury problems last year and their offensive line isn't in great shape. Larry Johnson was hurt last year and I don't see him being very fantasy-productive this year with their offensive line and lack of a good QB.

Ben threw more TD's and fewer INT's than Manning did last year, therefore I felt he was more valuable. Plus Ben is good for a few rush TD's a year. I think he'll be even better this year and is a legit fantasy football threat. I would have taken Brady, but he was gone at #4.

TJ is a very solid WR who shows up every game. He'll be good for some TD's. Chris Chambers became a favorite target of Phillip Rivers when he came to SD, so he'll do good things. Bowe had a good rookie year and should be a very good #3 WR in the fantasy game.

McGahee is good for yards and TD's, and Turner I think will be a good RB on my fantasy team. Turner can turn the jets on and take it to the house once he's in the open field.

Whitten was the best TE available with Winslow and Gates gone. Lee is a good backup and will be a big part of the Packers passing game, best TE available when he was taken.

Pittsburgh was taken right after someone took Chicago who is the defense I really wanted because of Hester's ST play.

Mendenhall should get goal line oppurtunites for Pittsburgh. Sweed will be a red zone threat and is there for trade bait.

Stokley is a good WR, excelled in Indy and should have a decent season.

If Delhomme stays healthy he's a very good QB who could be traded for a top WR.

I took Tampa with my last pick. Took them because the rest of the defenses and special teams sucked so I took the defense least likley to give up a ton of points.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I took Ben with the fifth overall pick in the first round
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

You already drafted this team, so there's no reason to discuss where you picked who.

At QB, you have a great starter and a great backup. If I get value at other positions in the earlier rounds, Jake's one of the qb's I target in the later rounds.

Your RB's are solid, and Mendy is a good bye week fill in, especially since Wilis and Turner's bye weeks are later in the season, and he should have solidified a role by then. The only problem I can foresee is that McGahee and Turner have the potential to put up great numbers, but they're also the main weapons on their teams, so teams will gameplan for them.

Your WR's IMO are average . I like your starters, and Stokely'll have some value if Marshall is suspended during your byes, but Limas is not worth having on your roster unless this is a dynasty. From a fantasy perspective, unless he does amazing in the pre-season, he'll probably start the season as the #4 reciever, and by the time he becomes #3, your bye weeks will most likely be gone. I'd rather have someone like Bryant Johnson or Justin Gage, who is starting the whole year on a team that will be playing from behind alot and throwing the ball.

TE's are solid, you got one of the top 3 and there's no reason to pull the trigger on a backup if you have one of those 3.

Defenses are bad, IMO. I love the Steelers D, but we have the hardest schedule in the league, and are going up against the highest powered offenses in the NFL. I'm not taking them in any league I'm in. Turnovers and sacks may get you points, but it won't matter if you're getting negatives for the other team scoring points. I'd start the Buc's D, unless we're playing a weak team.

Overall, I like your team, except you have a slight case of homerism. At this point, 6 of your players have a bye week 6. That takes up your whole bench. One of those players is your kicker, who you currently have no back up for, and unless you plan on not starting one, you're gonna have to drop someone. That someone should be Limas. Grade: B-
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I don't believe in picking a QB before like rd 3-5 depending. But it all depends on the way points are in your league, and where you pick. The last FF championship I won I picked Manning in Rd 1 (it was a lte pick, like 10 and serpentine, so I picked a RB a few picks later), and in 2005 I won my league by taking Jake Plummer in the 5th round. Obviously those are two wildly different strategies but both worked.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

The only QB I would consider taking in the first round, at least that early, would be Tom Brady...maybe Peyton Manning.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote