Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Black National Anthem

I'm kind of confused, isn't the Star Spangled Banner the ONLY National Anthem that in itself represents all US Citizens?

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...4919&catid=339
DENVER - Mayor John Hickenlooper's annual State of the City address may get more attention for what wasn't included than what was.

At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hanprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

Instead, she performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which is also known as the "black national anthem."

When she finished, the audience responded with mild applause. The national anthem was never performed.

Marie told 9NEWS she kept her plans to switch songs quiet until the very last moment. She says only she, her husband and a friend knew she was going to sing something other than the "Star-Spangled Banner."

She says she wanted to express her love of her country by mixing the lyrics of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" with the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner."

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.

Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.

When asked if he was offended, Hickenlooper said, "You know I was more confused and I think I was more – what I was, was disappointed and confused and that's why I wanted to talk to her."

"Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1899 and set to music by his brother in 1900.

City Councilman Charlie Brown took to talk radio Tuesday afternoon to criticize the absence of the national anthem at the State of the City proceedings.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem, period," Brown said. "And that's what really bothered me. You know when we fly the flag, the American flag, it's always the highest flag, as it should be. And that didn't come across today, that didn't happen today."

In hindsight, both Brown and Hickenlooper say they should have stopped Marie or began singing themselves.

Marie says if she had the benefit of doing it over, she would sing the same song.

When asked if she would apologize for what happened she said, "No I do not."

Marie has been singing professionally for 10 years.

Brown says he doesn't have a problem with people expressing their views, but he says Marie chose the wrong venue.

I really just don't get why people do some of the things they do. I get that its considered a "pretty" song, but I happen to think that "Bird Song" by the Grateful Dead is a pretty song too, but that doesn't mean I'd sing it as a replacement for the United States National Anthem.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Black National Anthem

so does that mean if you are southern instead of singing the national anthem we can sing Dixie???

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Charlie Brown? Is this an Onion article?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Charlie Brown? Is this an Onion article?
No, this is 100% real.

http://cw2.trb.com/news/kwgn-state-o...,2520287.story

http://thedailyvoice.com/voice/2008/...rsy-000829.php

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...uestid=9372722
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,378 Posts

just seen this on the news......disgusting !!! all this kind of stupidity does, is fan the flames of racism.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I say, if it had never been reported it would never had been noticed. Who really cares, beyond those whom it affects directly?

It's just all too much.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,205 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Yawn.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
THAT'S PUTTING IT MILDLY! I just don't know what to say. We have freedom of speech in this counrty, but to step on the national anthem by singing any other song in it's place is grounds for a verbal bashing at least! I can even get on board with the different styles that some singers use. I personally dig Jimi Hendrix's version; what talent!

Now I don't want to get into a racial arguement, but there is something I don't understand. Why do black people who want to be equal with white people always seperate themselves from whites? I mean we are ALL americans so why do you need to sing a song to express how you feel as a black person living in america INSTEAD of the NATIONAL ANTHEM!?!

The same could be said about hispanics who have the cuban or mexican flag flying! You wanted to be here in the US right? Your country wasn't good enough for you so you came here. Why aren't you flying the American flag?

Before it's said or implied...... piss off I am not a bigot! I just call it like I see it! Don't like it? Take off your PC glasses and take a look for yourself.

I just want things to be equal and stop all the petty bickering back and forth and come together as Americans! 911 was a tragedy indeed, but I was proud of how we all came together and united as a counrty. Unfortunately that didn't last long.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Black National Anthem, eh?
How about The Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix...he was black.
Now that's my kind of national anthem.

Edit: Ah, Hammer you beat me to it!
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote