Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #161
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Favre's possible return

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
I can't imagine that they'll pay him to $13 mil to hold a clipboard.....Although I hope he forces their hand in doing so.
Yeah, it would be rediculous to do so, but it's within their budget to do so, which means that they eat the money (essentially paying him for what he's accomplished, not what they expect him to accomplish.)

The thing is, do you think he'll "suffer the indignity" of being benched, regardless of salary. It's not like he needs the money, so there's really only pride left. My guess is that if he did force the issue, he'd have to learn to check his pride at the door (which is a lesson he apparently needs to learn anyways.)
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #162
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Yeah, it would be rediculous to do so, but it's within their budget to do so, which means that they eat the money (essentially paying him for what he's accomplished, not what they expect him to accomplish.)

The thing is, do you think he'll "suffer the indignity" of being benched, regardless of salary. It's not like he needs the money, so there's really only pride left. My guess is that if he did force the issue, he'd have to learn to check his pride at the door (which is a lesson he apparently needs to learn anyways.)

While we both agree that it would be crazy to pay him that kind of money to sit....I think that's their penalty for not just giving him what he wants. It's obvious they don't want him and it's pretty immature to have a "we don't want you but we're not gonna let anyone else have you either" type mindset. He wants to play football for cryin' out loud. Isn't that what we're talkin' about here?

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #163
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

You might have a point. But I've always had the feeling it was about the money. I'm guessing if Favre had not retired they would have asked him to take less $ this year. This has gotten so ugly they may just force him to play backup whether he wants to or not. Nothing he can do about it. I don't have that much faith in Rodgers lasting the season anyway. Favres only way out is if they can agree on a deal that allows GB to trade him out of the division and get something in return.

The longer this drags out the less he's worth to anyone.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #164
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I'm guessing they're sick of his little mindgames though. I'll play, no I won't, yes I will, no I won't, please just let me go. He's been dragging them along for far too long.

Besides, how would the fans react if they let him go somewhere else and he won a championship? Or, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt (somewhat likely) or flops (even morelikely) and they then have to turn to Brian Brohm? At least, as a backup, if Aaron flops, they've still got Favre. He becomes the insurance for them that they will need this coming season.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #165
LambertIsGod58
Team President

[QUOTE=xfl2001fan;413857]I'm guessing they're sick of his little mindgames though. I'll play, no I won't, yes I will, no I won't, please just let me go. He's been dragging them along for far too long.

Besides, how would the fans react if they let him go somewhere else and he won a championship? Or, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt (somewhat likely) or flops (even morelikely) and they then have to turn to Brian Brohm? At least, as a backup, if Aaron flops, they've still got Favre. He becomes the insurance for them that they will need this coming season.[/QUOTE/]

I'd agree with you on this one...however, Favre is the proven guy. And to worry about the fans I think is BS. If he were to win a championship with another team then shame on GB for not doing the right thing, the smart thing and the obvious thing of welcoming him back as their starting QB to begin with.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #166
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
By most accounts he should have been cut 3 years ago (or at least forced to take less $). His bloated salary and declining play killed the Pack, yet they kept him around. Granted he's coming off a good season, but what are the odds of that happening again??

If he really wants to play he needs to restructure his contract so GB can either afford to keep him or at least be able to trade him somewhere outside the NFC north. The fanbase can move on if they get something in return and not have to endure watching him suit up for the Bears or the Bucs.

Declining play? He had no talent around him for a year or two. He had to make plays if they were gonna win.