Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default No love for two steeler hall of famers

I am sure that many people will have some strong feelings in regards to this article. I never had the privilige of watching two of these players in particular but I think their records clearly speak for themselves.

I am just going to sit back and watch the fire that is breathed collectively after the members of this board read this piece of crap.

Quote:
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs..._Past_40_Years

Here is the list of the most overrated NFL players since the Super Bowl began. It's hard to rate NFL players overrated before then simply because the game has changed so much over the years to make it easier for QBs and WRs.

Remember that you have to be considered a great player to be called overrated.

Here we go.

Michael Vick
Vick went first in the 2001 NFL draft and from there the bumpy ride to stardom began. Blessed with blazing speed, in 2006 he became the first QB to rush for 1,000 yards and that year he teamed up with RB Warrick Dunn to become the only QB/RB to rush for 1,000 in same season.

That's the good news, now for the bad: for all of his agility and speed, he couldn't find a way to consistently win games. Though Vick has been in the league for six seasons, he's only played four full years and has averaged 8.75 wins.

The rest of his four full season averages are: 2,533 passing yards, 16.2 touchdowns, 11.5 interceptions and 54.7% completion percentage. These are not exactly first overall pick numbers.

Keyshawn Johnson

Johnson was drafted first in the 1996 NFL draft by the New York Jets. He played 11 seasons and could only muster three pro-bowls, one all-pro selection and was kicked out shortly after winning a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His temper continually wrote checks that his performances couldn't cash. He was traded away from the Jets, traded away from the Buccaneers, released by the Dallas Cowboys and released by the Carolina Panthers after just one season.

While his career numbers are pretty solid, they are certainly not among the top WRs ever. His career averages were 74 receptions and 961 yards per season.

Lynn Swann
Swann was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round, 21st overall in 1974. While he had some of the greatest hands in the game, he certainly didn't put up the stats that would put him on the best WR list.

He never had a 1,000 yard season and only scored 10 or more touchdowns twice. In his nine seasons he only averaged 37.3 receptions, 606 yards, 5.6 touchdowns per season and 47.5 yards per game.

We all know the game has changed over the years to be more pass happy, but his QB Terry Bradshaw had over 3,700 yards passing in 1979 and over 3,300 in 1980. Swann's receiving yards in those seasons were 808 and 710.

Terry Bradshaw

This one may get a few eyebrows, but just look at the teams he played on. During their great years, the Steelers had the best defense, great offensive line and a great running game.

Sure the first couple of years in Pittsburgh weren't the best, but just look at the defensive rank from 1972-1979. The Steelers had the 2, 8, 2, 2, 1, 17, 1, 5 ranked defense during these years. Then throw in Franco Harris and his seven 1,000 rushing and five double digit scoring seasons.

Not to mention Bradshaw threw a lot of interceptions, 210 with 212 touchdowns, and only completed 51.9% of his passes.

Jeff George
George was drafted first overall in 1990 by the Indianapolis Colts. He only managed four seasons in Indy, traded all over the place, played for six other teams and could never win consistently.

He did help the Atlanta Falcons make the playoffs in 1995 with the run-and-shoot offense that had him pass for 4,143 yards and 24 touchdowns. However the following year he was suspended and traded because of his constant arguments with the head coach.

He only had one good season over the next five and decided to retire after the 2001 season. For some reason several teams tried to get him out of retirement and George signed with the Seattle Seahawks in 2002, in 2004 with the Chicago Bears and in 2006 by the Oakland Raiders. He never saw action with any of these teams.

To sum it up, George never made the pro-bowl, was never an all-pro and only had a passer rating above 90 just twice.

Look, no list is perfect but this is a good start to the most overrated NFL players.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs..._Past_40_Years

Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 07-05-2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: addition
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: No love for two steeler hall of famers

I wonder who the moron was that wrote that to even put bradshaw and swan with vick that must have been a wanta be writer with nothing to do.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I've heard this crap before, it seems that Bradshaw was not all that good because he played with a great player like Swan, and Swan wasn't that good because he played with a great QB like Bradshaw. Infact not of these guys were any good because they had such a great player on both sides of him. Someday one of these guys are going to tie themselves into a knot.

Its like one of the Paties explaining how their didn't really cheat.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Just goes to show you........stats are just stats. Yeah......and Carson's better than Ben because of stats. yeah.......right.

Terry Bradsahaw......4 superbowl rings.
Ben Roethlisberger.........1 superbowl ring, 1 AFC championship title............Carson Palmer............zippo.

Now those are stats.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
duma
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5730

I wish someone would pay me to come with stupid thoughts like that. How can anyone that has won more SB's then anyone else be considered in the same article as a person of the mold of Vick?
duma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by duma View Post
I wish someone would pay me to come with stupid thoughts like that. How can anyone that has won more SB's then anyone else be considered in the same article as a person of the mold of Vick?
Just go into politics.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Swann showed up in the big games (as did Bradshaw). Want to remind me how effective the great "unstoppable" Randy Moss was this past postseason again? 7 catches for 94 yards and 1 TD over THREE games. Whoopee.

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-05-2008 at 09:15 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

I think I can fix all this talk of Bradshaw and Swann ever being underrated again:

Quote:
Clutchiness (0-100):

Bradshaw: 100
Swann: 114
At least now when people look at a stat sheet they can take that into account. I hate when this crap gets written by someone who has only seen a highlight reel of XXX player and never an entire game (or even understood how impactful that throw/catch was). Call Bradshaw a big dumb oaf if you want, but he's not underrated. I'd imagine when he bitchslaps you down there'll be four big indentations in your face to remind you.

Glad to see Vick on there though. Still think Atlanta only kept him to put fans in the stands, not to win games. Just like Pittsburgh did with Swann and Bradshaw, right?
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Yup, the reason these guys are in the Hall is their greatness in the postseason.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

People forget that the rules prior to 1978 weren't as condusive to passing as today's game. That's when Brad's game was on and it was on big time. Can't compare eras when the freakin' rules aren't the same.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote