Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Franken tries the switch from comic to Congress

WASHINGTON (AP) — Moving from celebrity to senator isn't exactly an untraveled path. But that doesn't mean comedian Al Franken, who is vying for a Senate seat in Minnesota, will coast to Capitol Hill on a wide, smooth road.

Franken, a Democrat, best-selling author and former "Saturday Night Live" cast member, once penned a racy piece for Playboy that has offended the Midwestern sensibilities of some Minnesotans. It is that history as a satirist and comedian, Franken says, that puts him "in a little uncharted territory" as he tries to woo voters.

At his nomination speech a few weeks ago, Franken acknowledged that some of his past writings and comments were "downright offensive."
"There were some things that I said that gave some people reason to believe I wouldn't fight for all Minnesotans, specifically for women," Franken said in a telephone interview. "I said I was sorry for that, 'cause that's not who I am."

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.p...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Franken tries the switch from comic to Congress

Franken running for congress.....now THAT's funny.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

This is one ass-hat that really makes me ill with his hypocrisy and pseudo-intellectual, smoke and mirror routine.
If he is elected, then the state of Minnesota deserves him.

Quote:
Franken owes $70,000 in back taxes in 17 states
By PATRICIA LOPEZ, Minneapolis Star Tribune
April 29, 2008 5:38 PM Eastern

DFL U.S. Senate candidate Al Franken, frontrunner in the race to unseat Republican U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman, owes $70,000 in back taxes in 17 states, where he earned income going back to 2003.

Franken on Tuesday told the Associated Press that he never intended to avoid paying taxes and that on the advice of his accountant, had paid taxes to the city and state where he lived.

Franken has been under fire since early March, when a Republican operative revealed that Franken had failed to pay workers’ compensation and disability premiums for employees of his New York-based corporation, Alan Franken, Inc., between 2002 and 2005.

New York state officials had tried to collect the back premiums for four years, resorting to a collection agency and even filing a summary judgment against Franken in state Supreme Court last May for $25,000.

Franken said he was unaware of the state’s numerous attempts to contact him and finally was forced to acknowledge his error and make restitution earlier this month.

Last week, Franken was found to owe the state of California $4,740 for his failure to file corporate tax returns between 2003 and 2007.

Franken’s campaign staff initially said Franken had dissolved the California entity in 2003, producing an unsigned letter on blank paper, dated September, 2003, in which a tax accountant said the company would “no longer be doing business in California.”

Franken has had numerous engagements in California during those years, and in his U.S. Senate Financial Disclosure Report, filed May, 2007, stated that he does business not only in California, but in New York, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Delaware, Michigan, Kentucky and elsewhere.

Coleman, asked about today’s news, said: “I’m certainly troubled by these admissions. I would hope that Mr. Franken would continue to come forward and continue to be candid as to the nature of these problems.

“I serve on the Small Business Committee. I represent thousands of small-businessmen and -women in Minnesota. Those folks pay their taxes and meet their obligation — that is the expectation and so certainly these admissions by Mr. Franken are troubling.”
http://marklevinfan.com/?p=2626

He stated that no returns were filed In California because He hadn't done business in the state since 2003....

But Franken made 32 public appearances in California from 2003 to 2007, at least eight of which charged an admission fee. For instance, Franken spoke at universities, addressed the Urban Land Institute, twice appeared on the "Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and debated conservative pundit Ann Coulter for a lecture series.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Latest Polls show He is losing ...Coleman has 52%...Franken 40% and dropping
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

About a quarter of what he did for SNL was funny. No, wait; make that about an eighth. When something was funny, it was often uproarious, but still, he was way more misses than hits.

IMO he doesn't have the breadth of vision that makes a man a good legislator in a country of special interest groups that need to find compromises. He's wasting his time and money.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
About a quarter of what he did for SNL was funny. No, wait; make that about an eighth. When something was funny, it was often uproarious, but still, he was way more misses than hits.

IMO he doesn't have the breadth of vision that makes a man a good legislator in a country of special interest groups that need to find compromises. He's wasting his time and money.
Agreed...He has ALWAYS had a higher opinion of himself than what the public had.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

well at least he is wasting his own money and not the taxpayers money.. at least not yet anyway..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
well at least he is wasting his own money and not the taxpayers money.. at least not yet anyway..lol
Not so fast!!!

Quote:
$480K transferred from public funds to Franken's Air America!
WASHINGTON TIMES.COM
JULY 29, 2005 |

Did Al Franken's liberal radio network Air America divert city money for the elderly and inner-city children to itself? That's the question people should be asking this week after the revelation that the New York Department of Investigation is looking into whether hundreds of thousands of dollars were illegally transferred from a Bronx community center to Air America.
In late June, city officials designated the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club, a nonprofit organization that runs mentoring programs for children and day care for Alzheimer's patients, a "non-responsible city contractor." Investigators found "significant inappropriate transactions and falsified documents that were submitted to various City agencies." The city subsequently suspended the club's contracts, which run well into the millions.
It turns out, according to sources quoted anonymously by the Bronx News, that the mishandled money went to Air America. One source claims that $480,000 was wrongly transferred. The city investigation is concentrating on Charles Rosen, the club's president for 15 years, and Evan Cohen, the development director, who is a former chairman of Air America. Mr. Cohen resigned from Air America in May after the network's leasing plans in Chicago, San Francisco and elsewhere fell through.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1452922/posts
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Gotta admit, this Franken thread is getting "funnier" by the minute!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Gotta admit, this Franken thread is getting "funnier" by the minute!
He's never "funnier" than when he tries to be intellectual and ethical.