Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Franken tries the switch from comic to Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Not so fast!!!
well those arent consider tax money since its a non- profit club.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
well those arent consider tax money since its a non- profit club.
Quote:
Did Al Franken's liberal radio network Air America divert city money for the elderly and inner-city children to itself?
City money = tax money.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
City money = tax money.
sorry i missed read it.. dont kill me. sorry you cant make mistakes around here..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

I have no idea if Franken would make for a better politician thatn his opponent, but I do feel compelled to call BS on some of the stuff floating in this thread.
Quote:
$480K transferred from public funds to Franken's Air America!
WASHINGTON TIMES.COM
JULY 29, 2005 |

Did Al Franken's liberal radio network Air America divert city money for the elderly and inner-city children to itself? That's the question people should be asking this week after the revelation that the New York Department of Investigation is looking into whether hundreds of thousands of dollars were illegally transferred from a Bronx community center to Air America.
In late June, city officials designated the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club, a nonprofit organization that runs mentoring programs for children and day care for Alzheimer's patients, a "non-responsible city contractor." Investigators found "significant inappropriate transactions and falsified documents that were submitted to various City agencies." The city subsequently suspended the club's contracts, which run well into the millions.
It turns out, according to sources quoted anonymously by the Bronx News, that the mishandled money went to Air America. One source claims that $480,000 was wrongly transferred. The city investigation is concentrating on Charles Rosen, the club's president for 15 years, and Evan Cohen, the development director, who is a former chairman of Air America. Mr. Cohen resigned from Air America in May after the network's leasing plans in Chicago, San Francisco and elsewhere fell through.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1452922/posts
OK, so when you start reading the article above, doesn't something seem fishy to you guys? Washington Times is a mouthpiece for the cult leader Sun Myung Moon, the man who brought you the Unification Church and mass weddings where thousands of strangers would get married to other Moonies. Perhaps this explains the major misleading error in this article, the contention that Al Franken is tied to the Boys and Girls Club scandal. Notice how they say "Franken's Air America?" He didn't own it. He was just an employee. A prominent one for sure. But he had no ownership stake and has absolutely no tie to the scandal. Not that you would know that having read this hit piece. This "article" was written by someone who was either totally ignorant or was trying to deliberately mislead the public. My money is on the latter given the integrity of the Washington Times.

Re: the tax issue. I don't see any issue there. His accountant screwed up. He is fixing the problem and sending the money in and paying the penalty. That doesn't mean he was deliberately evading taxes.

If having an accountant who screws up out of state taxes is an indication that a person is not worthy of federal elected office, well..... the McCains shouldn't be measuring the drapes in the White House just yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think Franken is a funny guy...I laugh more listening to his show than Rush Limbaugh's, and I'm definitely center/right in my politics.

But he should definitely just stick to skewering politicians, not try to actually be one.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
I do feel compelled to call BS on some of the stuff floating in this thread Re: the tax issue. I don't see any issue there. His accountant screwed up. He is fixing the problem and sending the money in and paying the penalty. That doesn't mean he was deliberately evading taxes.
Gotta call BS on your BS call...

Franken incorporated his business in 1998 under the fame of AFI (Alan Franken Interprises) but now claims that his personal accountant "made a mistake"...since when did people start running their corporate taxes through their personal accountant? The state of New Yoork sent 12 notices to the corporation that were ignored until all this came to light...I guess again you believe that this accountant just didnt see the notices or never got all twelve? ...and Franken Himself has publicly said that he owes California no taxes even though State records show he has made 32 appearances in the state...I dont think that he can "pin" that on his accountant.
In regards to the Washington Times argument....Neither of the two people cited in the article as contributers work for the Washington times...The story was reported by Brian Maloney who writes a blog for "Radio Equailizer" ..and was picked up by Michelle Malkin, a syndicated columnist whose articles are picked up by over 200 newspapers nationwide.....and happens to include the Washington Post.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:
Gotta call BS on your BS call...

Franken incorporated his business in 1998 under the fame of AFI (Alan Franken Interprises) but now claims that his personal accountant "made a mistake"...since when did people start running their corporate taxes through their personal accountant? The state of New Yoork sent 12 notices to the corporation that were ignored until all this came to light...I guess again you believe that this accountant just didnt see the notices or never got all twelve? ...and Franken Himself has publicly said that he owes California no taxes even though State records show he has made 32 appearances in the state...I dont think that he can "pin" that on his accountant.
In regards to the Washington Times argument....Neither of the two people cited in the article as contributers work for the Washington times...The story was reported by Brian Maloney who writes a blog for "Radio Equailizer" ..and was picked up by Michelle Malkin, a syndicated columnist whose articles are picked up by over 200 newspapers nationwide.....and happens to include the Washington Post.
Do you think that Franken is doing his own taxes? Is he sitting down at his kitchen table with a pencil and calculator and filing out his IRS forms? I think its reasonable to assume he isn't licking the stamp on his tax returns. That doesn't absolve him from the ultimate responsibility of paying them. But again, as the McCains recently found out, keeping track of multiple state tax issues can be complicated. Franken reported all of his income. He incorrectly reported it in the states that he lived in (and had moved from, making notification a possible issue). He has admitted now that he owes back taxes and penalties in 17 states in which he appeared was paid a fee.

I don't claim to know what goes on in Frankens' mind. But I think that an analysis of his tax situation lends itself to application of Occam's Razor. Did Franken, a multi-millionaire with aspirations to run for Senate, deliberately scheme to evade paying local taxes across the country to try save himself a total of 70K knowing that he was about to be vetted by the full force of the RNC? (note: 70K is inflating what he owed because that includes penalties and doesn't calculate what he'll now get back from Minnesota and New York because he already paid taxes, mistakenly, on that income in those states) Or did he and his account screw up their highly complicated tax returns? Seems the latter, being the more reasonable and simple explanation, would be the winner.

Re: the other article... OK, so was it Malkin or Maloney who tried deliberately misled people to try to tie Franken to the Boys and Girls Club issue in the posted article? I wouldn't put it past either of them. Again, Franken had no tie to the scandal. In fact, he was very vocal on air in his criticism of the Air America guy who was responsible for the scandal. But if the author had a conscience that was concerned with the whole truthiness thing, he os she would never have been able to create such an effective smear with the headline.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #18
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
Do you think that Franken is doing his own taxes? Is he sitting down at his kitchen table with a pencil and calculator and filing out his IRS forms? .

No...and I never even hinted towards the fact that Franken does his own taxes....I was talking about how it is HIGHLY unlikely that the person who does his personal taxes also does his corporate taxes (....Anyone with knowledge of such things would tell you that you want to keep those two things as seperated as possible.)

Quote:
Franken reported all of his income.
No he didnt...he failed to report any taxes in California for several years

Quote:
I don't claim to know what goes on in Frankens' mind. But I think that an analysis of his tax situation lends itself to application of Occam's Razor. Did Franken, a multi-millionaire with aspirations to run for Senate, deliberately scheme to evade paying local taxes across the country to try save himself a total of 70K ....
Sooooo...rich people dont cheat on taxes....(not a very good analysis)

Quote:
knowing that he was about to be vetted by the full force of the RNC?
Youd think that he would go over things with a find tooth comb if he "knew" he was getting ready to fight the evil RNC.

Quote:
70K is inflating what he owed because that includes penalties and doesn't calculate what he'll now get back from Minnesota and New York
Wow ....I havent hear that level of justification and excuse making sinse...."Well, technically a BJ isnt sex"

Quote:
Or did he and his account screw up their highly complicated tax returns? Seems the latter, being the more reasonable and simple explanation, would be the winner.
Again...you can only buy into that if you believe that Franken was so stupid that he didnt have a corporate lawyer and accountant.

Quote:
Re: the other article... OK, so was it Malkin or Maloney who tried deliberately misled people to try to tie Franken to the Boys and Girls Club issue in the posted article? I wouldn't put it past either of them. Again, Franken had no tie to the scandal. In fact, he was very vocal on air in his criticism of the Air America guy who was responsible for the scandal. But if the author had a conscience that was concerned with the whole truthiness thing, he os she would never have been able to create such an effective smear with the headline
1) So your the guy who listened to Air America!!
2) You need to stick to an arguement...Is it the Moonies who are part of this "Right Wing Conspiracy"....or is it Malkin and Maloney?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The fact that this fool is even on the ballot really does show how sorry our Political System has gotten. It reminds me of when Howard Stern would say he was going to run for Mayor of New York. I mean, I'm all for "citizens" running the country. But when a jackoff like this that basically made his living making fun of other people, is put on a ballot for election, that just makes me shake my head. Where are the local cops that run for office, or the Banker, or the Small Business guy. Where are the real people that need to run things, not these pompous blowhards that just do it for the money and fame. Cause really, this idiot isn't in it for the "good of the people". Thats for certain. Considering he hates with a passion 50% of the people in this country, he isn't looking out for me. Thats for sure.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:

No...and I never even hinted towards the fact that Franken does his own taxes....I was talking about how it is HIGHLY unlikely that the person who does his personal taxes also does his corporate taxes (....Anyone with knowledge of such things would tell you that you want to keep those two things as seperated as possible.)
So how does that suggest that this wasn't anything more than an accounting screw up?

Quote:
No he didnt...he failed to report any taxes in California for several years
He reported the money he earned in California. The problem was he reported the income in the state he lived in, no the state he earned it in.

Quote:
Sooooo...rich people dont cheat on taxes....(not a very good analysis)
Where did anyone say that?

Quote:
Youd think that he would go over things with a find tooth comb if he "knew" he was getting ready to fight the evil RNC.
I agree that showed a bit of naivette on his part. Since the bloggers brought the New York and California tax issues to light, Franlken hired an accountant team to go back and review all the mistakes that were made by their incorrect interpretation. Given how many political enemies Franken has made over the past decade, he should have done a better job vetting himself as all federal candidates need to do these days.

Quote:
Wow ....I havent hear that level of justification and excuse making sinse...."Well, technically a BJ isnt sex"
The point is that he already paid taxes on this income. He didn't try to evade them. He paid in the wrong states.

Quote:
Again...you can only buy into that if you believe that Franken was so stupid that he didnt have a corporate lawyer and accountant.
I believe whoever he had working on his taxes could have made a mistake. Much like the mistake made in the McCain household.

Quote:
1) So your the guy who listened to Air America!!
2) You need to stick to an arguement...Is it the Moonies who are part of this "Right Wing Conspiracy"....or is it Malkin and Maloney?
I do listen to Tom Hartman and Rachel Maddow on Air America. My business requires a lot of local travel so I bounce between a lot of talk radio including Rush, Hannity, Medved, and some local consercative guys out here. I knew about Franken's comments on the scandal from the internet only as I wasn't driving around back when he was on Air America.

So I need to stick to the argument? The clear contention of the article was that Al Franken was tied to the Air America Boys and Girls Club scandal. I challenge you to produce a shred of evidence that shows Franken missapropriated tax dollars to Air America as you suggested. So I don't know, you tell me. Who made up the connection between Franken and the Boy and Girls Club Scandal? I am curious to know who was so integrity deficient that they were able to produce the smear. Malkin, Maloney or the Moonies? They all seem capable. Actually, Maloney does have some good content on his blog. He is just overly obsessed with Franken IMHO.