Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Ben Roethlisberger: The Mad Bomber?

Why Ben Roethlisberger is so good
By James Pete | July 5th, 2008

I was listening to a discussion on sports talk radio the other day about the top NFL quarterbacks. When they got to Ben, with whom they ranked third behind Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, they talked about his continued ďdevelopment as an NFL quarterback.Ē Itís a topic that always crops up when talking about Ben, and this year especially, due to the added weapons to his arsenal.

Once Heath Miller was drafted, then Bruce Arians became the offensive coordinator, then Matt Spaeth was drafted, the topic of the passing game seemed to center around Roethlisberger utilizing the two-tight-end set. Arians promised it, and Roethlisberger looked forward to it, but at the end of the year, it wasnít something that was regularly utilized by Roeth and the Steelersí offense. Heath Miller, however, did have 47 catches for a 12-yard per catch average. He also accounted for seven TDís.

Ben started utilizing his best tight end.

This season, the topic of the offense seems to be the upheaval of the running back position with Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore being added to the offense. Both backs excel at catching the football, and naturally, the topic of the passing game has turned to dumping the ball off to running backs.

Now before I go further, letís get back to Roethlisberger. Whatís made Roethlisberger a top three quarterback in this league isnít a gun for an arm (Carson Palmer), the cerebral quality of his play-making (Peyton Manning), or his pinpoint passing (Tom Brady). Whatís made him one of the best quarterbacks in the league is his ability to buy time, wait for an open receiver, and make the play downfield when the play appears over. Roethlisberger isnít the guy that backs up into the pocket, check down to the fifth option, and dump the ball off. Roethlisberger also seems to have Daryl Lamonica syndrome at times. If you donít know who Lamonica was, he was called the ĎMad Bomberí during his heydey with the Raiders, and for obvious reasons. Roeth certainly has that mentality, and ITíS A GOOD THING. Itís the one real connection he has to Bradshaw. He breaks off plays, and immediately looks deep, where open receivers often are when corners break in on broken plays. This improves exponentially when the quality of player around him improves. He is the epitome of the player that will make something out of nothing, and it has served him, and the Steelers well.

Roethlisberger has the critics that say he makes the offensive line bad by running around instead of just throwing the ball away, or dumping it off. The three flaws in this thinking are simple. 1. Roeth often has to run out of the pocket because the line got beat off the ball most of the last two seasons. 2. Who has been had to dump the ball off to? 3. Many of the plays that propelled this team to wins, were the ones that saw him break out of the pocket, and make a big play on the run. The bottom line is that there isnít a quarterback in the game that can make those types of plays better than he can.

When Roeth received a consistent safety valve (Miller), he slowly began to use him. He didnít at first. The offens evolved behind Arians and Roethlisberger, who was brought into the equation for the first time. Last year, Miller became, arguably, his most valuable target. It wasnít always in a dump off, but it often was, with Miller boxing out defenders in the middle of the field. This year, he has the added offensive firepower in Mendenhall and Moore. Will the M&M boys provide even more insurance in the passing game?

Roethlisberger may need to feel out the offense out with his new receiving threats, but itís hard to believe that it wonít happen in good time. Arians may have to force the issue with specific play calling to the backs, but Roeth may be just as apt to break off a play heís not comfortable with. Roethlisberger will look downfield first. Some call it a flaw. Some call it rogue, but itís what makes him good. Imagine, if you will, Roeth in a basic two receiver set with Ward and Holmes, Heath Miller at the tight end, and Mewelde Moore and Mendenhall in the same backfield together. Imagine Roeth breaking off a play under a heavy pass rush. Iíll take my chances with Roeth in that situation.

Itís not Brady, or Manning, and thatís a good thing.

So in 2008, be patient when the Steelers donít appear to be utilizing their safety valves early in the season, itís just a matter of time. Once Roethlisberger incorporates M&M into his thinking and his play, the Steelers offense will be very, very good.

We donít want Roethlisberger developing out of what makes him good, do we?

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...er-is-so-good/

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger: The Mad Bomber?

Very good article.

Ben is pretty damn accurate with his throws with a career 63.2 competion percentage and a career high 65.3 last season.

Ben's arm is pretty damns trong to, otherwise he wouldn't be able to make these throws deep and accurate while on the run.

And we don't quite know yet his cerebral quality of his playmaking because last year was the first time he really was allowed to audible away from the called play. Cowher always gave him one option, and he really wasn't allowed to change from what Cowher called. But under Tomlin, Ben has been given more power at the LoS and we may soon see how smart he is as a QB, which I think is pretty damn smart.

Ben can also do one more thing the three QB's compared with aren't very apt at doing, and that's using his legs/feet to make the play when there are no options to throw it too. He'll run for the TD or to get as many yards as he can.

You'll never see Manning/Brady/Palmer running 30 yards for a TD against the Browns like Ben did last year at Heinz Field.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

That was a really good read. I really like the way Ben has developed, and am looking forward to seeing him utilize his new targets.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

If there was ever a clone to Elway I think Roethlisberger is it.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

Oh my God are they are going to be known as M&M if they get in the backfield together!!! I don't mind Manning as much as the other to losers, but none of them have the strength or heart to break away from sacks and defenders like Ben does.
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
If there was ever a clone to Elway I think Roethlisberger is it.
Then I guess its fitting that he wears number 7 then!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
I don't mind Manning as much as the other to losers, but none of them have the strength or heart to break away from sacks and defenders like Ben does.
he is pretty tough to bring down, which is a good thing.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
If you don’t know who Lamonica was, he was called the ‘Mad Bomber’ during his heydey with the Raiders, and for obvious reasons. Roeth certainly has that mentality, and IT’S A GOOD THING. It’s the one real connection he has to Bradshaw. He breaks off plays, and immediately looks deep, where open receivers often are when corners break in on broken plays. This improves exponentially when the quality of player around him improves. He is the epitome of the player that will make something out of nothing, and it has served him, and the Steelers well.
Though unorthodox, it's exciting as hell to watch him scramble & sling it imo.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Hmmm... Mad Bomber? There was only one Mad Bomber... and he wore Silver and Black.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it's fun to watch ben run around and make those plays.. and when he does inc the new additions the off will be good

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote