Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Trudy Rubin: Things Looking Up In Iraq

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commen...l?page=all&c=y

Living more hopefully in Baghdad By Trudy Rubin

PHILADELPHIA: Whenever I am trying to get a glimpse of what's happening at street level in Baghdad, I call my friend Abbas.
He is a driver and businessman, and a member of a large Shiite clan from a Baghdad neighborhood called Hay Salaam. A man of wide girth and robust laugh, he comes from a family in which Shiites have intermarried with Sunnis. He is shrewd and tough, with a sharp sense of humor that has survived events Americans can't even imagine.

His uncle was hanged by Saddam Hussein, and a close relative was killed by militiamen after Hussein fell. He has been receiving written death threats. When I asked if he was scared, he replied: ''When I get through every day I say al-hamdulillah (thanks to God), I am OK.''
Yet, in three recent phone conversations, he sounded more hopeful about Iraq's future than I'd heard him in a long time.
Why hopeful? Because he finally sees some order returning to Baghdad. The Mahdi Army, the militia of the radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, has been expelled from his neighborhood. ''The Iraqi people are waking up from the Mahdi Army,'' he told me. ''Iraqis know now that they are criminals.''
The story of Hay Salaam offers a microcosm of the positive changes in Baghdad recently and the dangers that remain.
Hay Salaam is a small, predominantly Shiite neighborhood that was fairly stable after the fall of Baghdad. But, after al-Qaida in Iraq blew up a sacred Shiite shrine in February 2006, the Mahdi Army began taking revenge on Sunnis. The militia expelled tens of thousands from swaths of Baghdad; it tortured and murdered additional thousands. Members of the group shook down merchants and even controlled the sale of gasoline and cooking gas.
In Hay Salaam, Mahdi Army thugs from outside the neighborhood killed 19 Sunnis and two Shiite women who protested the slayings. Abbas was furious and looking for a way to fight back.
His opportunity came when Gen. David H. Petraeus shifted the U.S. strategy for securing Baghdad and Iraq. As Sunni attacks on Shiites lessened, the Shiites felt less need for protection from the Mahdi Army and began to chafe at its shakedowns.
Abbas and his neighbors began tipping off U.S. soldiers to the location of Mahdi Army killers. That's when Abbas started getting threats. He never leaves home without being surrounded by armed relatives.
Another turning point came in April. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki sent the Iraqi army to attack Shiite militias who controlled Iraq's second-largest city, Basra. Although the attack initially foundered, U.S. and British support enabled Maliki to recover, and Sadr's forces faded away. ''After the battle of Basra, everything is changed,'' Abbas told me. ''Now Iraqi citizens believe in the Iraqi army, not like before.''
But despite Basra, Hay Salaam was still in danger. So, in May, Abbas organized 300 people in his neighborhood, 70 percent Sunnis and 30 percent Shiites, who asked the government if they could form a neighborhood militia. Instead, Abbas was introduced to Maj. Gen. Mizher al-Azawi, commander of the 11th Iraqi Army Division, which had just pushed the Mahdi Army out of much of its stronghold in Sadr City, a huge Shiite slum in Baghdad.
''Azawi sent 100 men to our neighborhood,'' Abbas told me. Tipped by locals, the Iraqi soldiers arrested many Mahdi Army members and seized thousands of guns. The price of cooking gas dropped from $22 to $2 a tank.
This week, Iraqi army soldiers have visited houses in Hay Salaam from which Sunnis had been driven out; they gave Shiite squatters a week to vacate. Sunni families will be invited to return.
It is important not to get carried away by this good news.
Hay Salaam may be special, a tight neighborhood where a local leader like Abbas has made good things happen. The Mahdi Army retains support among the poor. In an adjacent Shiite neighborhood called Hurriyah, Shiite militiamen last week exploded a car bomb and tried to blame Sunnis for the carnage; their aim was to prevent expelled Sunnis from returning home.
The Iraqi government may not be capable of building on its new popularity. It has no overall plan to resettle four million Iraqis displaced by sectarian violence. Abbas is still in danger; he wanted me to use his full name, but I wouldn't dare.
Yet the Hay Salaam story does reflect the weariness of Baghdadis — both Sunnis and Shiites — with militia violence. Perhaps the civil war is almost over. ''People have woken up,'' Abbas told me. Let's hope.
Rubin is a columnist and editorial-board member for the Philadelphia Inquirer. She can be reached by e-mail at trubinphillynews.com.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Trudy Rubin: Things Looking Up In Iraq

Thank you for the great read, revs. It's refreshing to hear something positive coming out of Iraq instead of the gloom and doom the media spews day in and day out.

One of my neighbors was over in Iraq for 3 years and came home last winter. He said that our armed forces are doing a wonderful job over there and are very appreciated by most of the Iraqis, something the media doesn't want anyone to know. He also said that most of his fellow comrades, while they miss their families and loved ones terribly, know why they are there and are committed to the cause.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Most importantly, the Iraqi people seem to be gaining a little self confidence in themselves and their own new military. Troop drawbacks can't happen until the Iraqi's can secure themselves. Too bad it took so long to happen...
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Hey Rev.. HTG...

good posts.

Amazing how the truth doesn't reflect what we read in the papers.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

The only thing that truly bothers me about this story - is that it gets buried under everything else the media wants to point out that is going wrong!!

Thanks for the post.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.