Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
BigSteelThrill
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 818
Default Why this game is important...

Everyone knows that it helps towards getting a bye and home field.

But the current standing would have the Steelers playing round one versus the Jaguars at Heinz.

The following week, we would have to travel to Denver and the Broncos would come off a bye.

The thing is, the second tie breaker for that bye and gaining HFA for everything except Indianapolis, is Conference record.
The first being head-to-head, which doesnt happen this year.

Conference records have the Broncos are at 5-1. The Steelers at 6-2. Beating Cincinnatti takes care of itself for the most part.
It breaks the division tie and beating the Bengals (again) wins the division (more then likely anyhow).

So the Steelers have 4 AFC games remaining. Cincy, @Indy, Cleveland and @Balt.
Denver has 6 AFC games remaining. Jets, @KC, Balt, @Buffalo, Oakland, @SD.

Very dicey. If we can pull 3-1, there is a real shot. This Ravens game could be huge.
The Broncos have to lose two of those games. KC and SD are likely, especially in SD.

If they stumble in any of the other four contests it will come down to the next tie breaker.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
We are 2-1 and they are at 2-0. Only game we have remaining is Baltimore.
They have Baltimore and the Chargers. Could be 3-1/3-1 if we win this week.

So the next step is Strength of Victory. Or the points scored differential.
The Steelers currently are ahead in that department by 15 points.

Thats how close it could become. A weeks rest could be handy. As could staying at home in round 2.

A loss Sunday could all but evaporate the possibility.

Time to kick the shit out of the Ravens.
BigSteelThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394
Default Re: Why this game is important...

To tell you the truth I think the Steelers need to do things the hard way this year. By this I mean go on the road becuz they are 11-0 right now. Plus for some odd reason I think playing away from home in the AFCC would suit us best.
Most teams are the epitome of weakness//when Ben drops back loud talkers become speechless//welcome to the "Burgh" will show you where the beef is//come to Heinz field and LeBeau will show you where the heat is.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
BigSteelThrill
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelProven
To tell you the truth I think the Steelers need to do things the hard way this year. By this I mean go on the road becuz they are 11-0 right now. Plus for some odd reason I think playing away from home in the AFCC would suit us best.
The road is one thing. But Mile High is another. The absolute best home field advantange in the NFL, bar none. But generally I think the rest would be welcomed. The road is going through Indy no matter what, and the AFCC is going to be played under that dome this year. I would welcome it. As I would the week to rest some bodies.
BigSteelThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
SteelersGirlTN7
Starter

Member Number: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelProven

I just hope that Turnover Tommy doesn't give that streak away, and if he starts to, that Cowher learned his lesson enough to pull him early enough - and let Randle El play (he's listed as #2 right now, if Ben isnt cleared).

Not sure I want Ben to play a whole game against the Rats; everytime we play them, we lose our starting quarterback.

ANYBODY can do better than Tommy if he has a Jacksonville-like game
SteelersGirlTN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

NObody wants to go anywhere but Heinz Field for the playoffs. We all wanna be home, but we have to take the road whever it leads to get to the big dance. I personally dont wanna go to mile high and have to play at all..but we can win on the road, we do it all the time and we're a good road team.

but none the less, this game is VERY important this weekend. we need this win, we need to sweep the AFCN, and get the highest seed for the playoffs that we can get. We need to atop the bungals and we control our own destiny.. which means we can knock the colts back down to earth in a couple weeks... it aint gonna be easy, but doing things the hard way, atleast more than we are acccustomed too could end up being the road that is dealt to us. We'll see.. alot can happen to us, the colts, chargers, bungals, broncos, etc before the year is out.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I wouldnt be so sure that the Colts have the No.1 seed all sewn up just yet - they have some tough games left on their schedule - they have 5 games left that are very losable so the Steelers still have a shot at it.

@ Cincy
v Pittsburgh
@ Jax
v San Diego
@ Seattle

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
AvoidLLoyd95
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 768

If Indy drops all the hard games on their schedule, which is very possible, they will not even be cosidered to be a threat anymore. The Steelers need to play one week at a time and see where the chips fall at the end of the season. They are great on the road and there would be less pressure on them to play on the road. If they get the AFC championship at Heinz, I would think the added pressure not to lose would be too much of a factor in the game. Enjoy the season. Hey, you could be a Jets, 49'er, Texan or Eagles fan and be pulling your hair out. We fans have it pretty good so far this season. Go Steelers!

95 ways to get your ass kicked!
AvoidLLoyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I wouldnt be so sure that the Colts have the No.1 seed all sewn up just yet - they have some tough games left on their schedule - they have 5 games left that are very losable so the Steelers still have a shot at it.

@ Cincy
v Pittsburgh
@ Jax
v San Diego
@ Seattle

Cheers

NM

Absolutely..every game is important..anything can happen including injuries, or just a slip up by the colts that normally you wouldnt see coming.. they wont go undefeated I'd bet money on it..its just too hard these days.. we just have to stay the course and keep on winning.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Imagine if Peyton Manning went down... I love the guy, but still...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Instead of looking too far down the road a win against the Ravens with a possible Cincy loss to Indianapolis this coming Sunday would give us a full game up on the Bengals.
The Steelers need to take care of business in the division first.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote