Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Steelers Sign Davis

Quote:
PITTSBURGH — The Steelers announced today the signing of their second draft pick for the 2008 season, linebacker Bruce Davis. Financial terms of Davis’ three-year contract were not released.

Davis (6-2, 252) was the Steelers third round choice (88th overall) in this year’s draft out of UCLA, where he garnered All-American second-team and All-Pac 10 first team honors as a senior. He led the Bruins with 15.5 stops for losses and ranked ninth nationally with 12 sacks. Davis finished his career ranked second in school history with 29 quarterback sacks and third with 42.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

Davis joins Tony Hills as the first two of the seven 2008 draft picks the Steelers have signed for the 2008 season.
http://news.steelers.com/article/91699/
Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Steelers Sign Davis

Good now all he has to do is tackle on kick coverage.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

I love this pick and hate that he is a Bruin but that's water over the dam.

Bruce Davis pins his ears back on every down. Tenacious and conscious on every play. And he's under contract without the bull.

I would bet that he makes the Pro Bowl before anyone in this draft. Takers?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,202 Times in 2,561 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Anyone in the Steeler draft or anyone in the 2008 NFL draft as a whole?
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I hope Davis can bring some competition to camp and hopefully help us out on special teams and start in the near future.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
I love this pick and hate that he is a Bruin but that's water over the dam.

Bruce Davis pins his ears back on every down. Tenacious and conscious on every play. And he's under contract without the bull.

I would bet that he makes the Pro Bowl before anyone in this draft. Takers?
Yeah, I'll take that.

Of the first 4 picks. Mendenhall, Sweed, Davis, Hills.....nobody there is really pro bowl material but Mendenhall(and maybe Sweed ) anyways.

I hope Davis becomes a Chad Brown kind of OLB, but film on him just shows speed, persistance, but lousy technique and ability to handle contact. He needs a lot of work before he will ever get out of Woodley's shadow.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, I'll take that.

Of the first 4 picks. Mendenhall, Sweed, Davis, Hills.....nobody there is really pro bowl material but Mendenhall(and maybe Sweed ) anyways.

I hope Davis becomes a Chad Brown kind of OLB, but film on him just shows speed, persistance, but lousy technique and ability to handle contact. He needs a lot of work before he will ever get out of Woodley's shadow.
Dude, no offense, but Davis out-sacked woodley if you compare their last two years of college. And I wouldn't consider the competition in the Pac-10 any less fierce than Michigan's conference. I think woodley had more tackles for loss, but davis definitely outsacked him.

However, you are right, he for sure needs some work on technique. But James Harrison is no spring chicken at almost 30, regardless of how little wear and tear. At the very least, we do not have to worry about drafting an OLB next year.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
Dude, no offense, but Davis out-sacked woodley if you compare their last two years of college. And I wouldn't consider the competition in the Pac-10 any less fierce than Michigan's conference. I think woodley had more tackles for loss, but davis definitely outsacked him.

However, you are right, he for sure needs some work on technique. But James Harrison is no spring chicken at almost 30, regardless of how little wear and tear. At the very least, we do not have to worry about drafting an OLB next year.
None taken.

I see film on Davis and he gets sacks on scheme where he is left unblocked, or when the QB holds the ball too long and moves around the pocket, so Davis can get a favourable angle and use his quickness.

Woodley's technique and strength allow him to deliver a blow to the O lineman and then shed him to get to the QB. Davis isnt strong enough to do that so he tries to run around the lineman. You cant run away from contact in the NFL.

Also, very different comparing sack totals in a more pass oriented conference vs run oriented like Pac10-Big10. Either way, Woodley's college skills were NFL suited, while Davis' pass rush skills were more college suited.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
brsteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post

I think Davis is going to be a good player. Would I put him ahead of Woodley as a player? Not now and probably not ever. Woodley has the potential- the possibility- of being a future star, in my opinion. He wasn't good in college; he was outstanding, perhaps even the best player in the entire conference next to some QB from Ohio State. But I'm still glad to hear that Davis has been signed.
brsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It would be hard to compare woodley and davis to each other but if davis plays like I think he will then I can't wait to see them on the field together.