Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,568 Posts
Default Steelerfans- the ultimate traditionalists

how could we ever give up our 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy with defense carrying the team and winning championships?

why do we still look for the "next jerome bettis" and "power back" who can "carry the load", while ignoring that willie parker was one of only 3 backs to average more than 20 carries a game last season?

why are we comfortable with a game manager at quarterback despite having a multitude of talented receivers/ tight ends/ running backs to throw to, and a quarterback who can deliver?

why do we still debate whether we will switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3?

why will we call for tomlins head (just like we did with cowher) if a championship isnt delivered in the next 4 years?

Tradition.

why are we freaked out about the possibility of the rooney family losing majority control of the franchise? if the one who built that franchise (dan) will still own the 16% he has always owned since his beloved father passed?

dan will not be going away (hopefully not anytime soon), and can anyone tell me anything (off the top of their head) nabout tom rooney, dick rooney, and harry rooney?

are we just obsessed with the family aspect of our teams ownership, or do we really care about the 3 rooney stooges influence on the team?

im ready to embrace the fact that a little change can be good, but i am torn for prodigal son who started as a basic towel boy and a gopher, only to see his dreams and lifes work come to fruition, only to have it ripped away. but his dad didnt leave the team to him, he just left him in charge.

ive always given DAN rooney credit as the best owner in sports, only to realize he only owns a small portion of the pie.

is it possible that the team be better off with a billionaire passionate fan as opposed to the 3 stooges owning half the team?

never, if youre consumed with tradition.

i hope the majority of shares go to dan, only because i admire him as a person and a historical NFL figure. but other than art jr. what have any of the other siblings/family members done other than collect on an inheritance?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Steelerfans- the ultimate traditionalists

Wow, very good points.

I don't think anyone outside of the Rooney family and the very inner working of the Steelers know how involved the other brothers are involved.

I do know that Dan Rooney is the chairman. He technically signs the checks and is the face of the ownership group. I think he makes a majority of the desicions, I don't think his brothers care to have much say in anything unless it involves large sums of money coming out of their pockets.

I truly hope that Dan and Art II end up with the majority ownership. They are the two members of the family that truly seem to care about what The Chief built.

Maybe the other brothers didn't want to inherit the Steelers franchise from their father. Maybe they feel that the team was forced onto them much in the way kids feel their parents force their professions and dreams onto them.

But no matter what happens, I feel there will be a clause to keep the Steelers in Pittsburgh for a certain amount of time if majority ownership goes to someone outside of the Rooney family.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,281 Times in 2,976 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

Tradition for the team means the most wins. But the Rooneys are not only great for the Steelers, they have been the most important family for the the league ever. And with the labor fight to come any dilution of Dan's influence is a bad thing.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,666 Posts

Tradition is a great thing to hang your hat on, but progress is inevitable. I honestly dont care much who owns the team, as long as there always will be a Pittsburgh Steelers.

The power running game and great defense is more of a formula for success, not a tradition. I met a coach that was on the Raiders staff when June Jones introduced the Run and Shoot offense in Houston. He said Al Davis wasnt phased at all by that and knew the offense would fail in the NFL.

Al Davis maintained that throwing the ball all around the yard is fine, but you need a running game when you get inside the red zone or you will just be getting FG's and not TD's. Davis knew the lack of a physical running game was the downfall of the Oilers and the Marino era Dolphins. Its also the reason there are 5 SB's in Pittsburgh.

"Those that ignore their past are doomed to repeat it" ----that's a good thing for us:)
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,434 Times in 2,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Tradition is a great thing to hang your hat on, but progress is inevitable. I honestly dont care much who owns the team, as long as there always will be a Pittsburgh Steelers.
I don't know bout you but I wouldn't want to see a Dan Schneider type in charge of our beloved team. Or an owner that thinks moving the team would be in their best interest so they could make more money. The L.A. Steelers? Its not going to happen but it could someday. Just ask the Sonics.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
how could we ever give up our 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy with defense carrying the team and winning championships?

why do we still look for the "next jerome bettis" and "power back" who can "carry the load", while ignoring that willie parker was one of only 3 backs to average more than 20 carries a game last season?

why are we comfortable with a game manager at quarterback despite having a multitude of talented receivers/ tight ends/ running backs to throw to, and a quarterback who can deliver?

why do we still debate whether we will switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3?

why will we call for tomlins head (just like we did with cowher) if a championship isnt delivered in the next 4 years?

Tradition.

why are we freaked out about the possibility of the rooney family losing majority control of the franchise? if the one who built that franchise (dan) will still own the 16% he has always owned since his beloved father passed?

dan will not be going away (hopefully not anytime soon), and can anyone tell me anything (off the top of their head) nabout tom rooney, dick rooney, and harry rooney?

are we just obsessed with the family aspect of our teams ownership, or do we really care about the 3 rooney stooges influence on the team?

im ready to embrace the fact that a little change can be good, but i am torn for prodigal son who started as a basic towel boy and a gopher, only to see his dreams and lifes work come to fruition, only to have it ripped away. but his dad didnt leave the team to him, he just left him in charge.

ive always given DAN rooney credit as the best owner in sports, only to realize he only owns a small portion of the pie.

is it possible that the team be better off with a billionaire passionate fan as opposed to the 3 stooges owning half the team?

never, if youre consumed with tradition.

i hope the majority of shares go to dan, only because i admire him as a person and a historical NFL figure. but other than art jr. what have any of the other siblings/family members done other than collect on an inheritance?
Lotto winners who had the world by the ballz due to thier brother, yet managed to squander most of it away running thier business endeavors into the ground... that about sums up the three stooges.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Question: Would new "billionaire" open up the Steelers to be bigger free agent market players?

Is that a good thing, or bad thing?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

what spurned this thread is the appearant fear of losing the "rooney family" as the steelers primary owners.

from the little i know, i am not too impressed with the brothers manny, moe, and jack. and the mckaskey(?) family just sits around and collects the dividends from their 20% which, shamefully, is 4% more than what dan and his son own combined.

atleast art jr. tried to push for the steelers drafting dan marino, and oversaw the greatest draft in nfl history (1974).

but... to the point-

drukenmiller seems like a steelerfan traditionalist. mark cuban is on record saying he's not interrested in the steelers because it wouldnt be overwhelmingly profitable. he basically insinuated it wouldnt be the best investment.

drukenmiller doesnt seem concerned with this. he seems more concerned with preserving the tradition of his beloved steelers.

Quote:
Druckenmiller has long termed the Steelers' franchise the "best run in America."
Quote:
Druckenmiller has offered to retain Dan Rooney as the Steelers' manager.
the three stooges dont seem to care as they are willing to sell to the highest bidder. stan seems bound and determined to be that guy, not to turn a profit, but to preserve the tradition of his favorite team and a city he loves.

the comparisons to mark cuban or dan snyder make me laugh.

Quote:
Close friends claim he's "brilliant" and "complicated" and unfailingly loyal, a man who hates publicity but who quietly bankrolls many of the nation's top charities.
who is afraid he will be marching the sidelines, mugging for the camera?

there is no indication that he would come in like jerry jones, firing tom landy (i.e. rooney/tomlin) with his first major move.

there is every indication that he would sit back, and enjoy the team like he always has, knowing the tradition of the PITTSBURGH Steelers was preserved.

and before anyone scoffs at the idea of a billionaire buying something that expensive without turning a profit being the number one priority, just look at another pittsburgh great- andrew carnegie.

he built that beautiful museum and filled it with beautiful things. the inscription when you enter says that it was his gift to the city and people of pittsburgh.

and while they are forced to charge admission today, for the longest time it was free, and not turning a profit. "dippy" and that van gogh hanging on the wall, was just as much mine as anyone elses.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I agree that its a bad idea to bring in a bunch of someone elses over priced free agents.

But it would be nice to be able to afford to pay some of our own FA that inevitably leave every year.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Question: Would new "billionaire" open up the Steelers to be bigger free agent market players?

Is that a good thing, or bad thing?
assume this-

big ben wins more superbowls than brady or manning during his current contract, as he approaches the ripe old age of 32-33 and is in the prime of his career. "billionaire" ensures he retires a steeler.

i dont think steelerfans will fret and worry if the "cheap rooneys" can afford to keep him. remember the near panic at the thought of not being able to retain troy polamalu?