Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Bryant McFadden may be the steelers best cornerback???

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...st-cornerback/

Quote:
Bryant McFadden is fighting for a starting job. That is more than saying something, considering what McFadden had to deal with last season. First, McFadden suffered a high ankle sprain in week 4, against the Arizona Cardinals. McFadden, who was trying to steal Deshea Townsendís starting job at the time, would miss three weeks, before coming back. The only problem? He wasnít 100% yet, and his play showed.

McFadden, an athletic corner with good speed and jumping ability, didnít look like the same football player. He would eventually sprain his other ankle, and played nearly the entire season limping. It was a wasted season, and the Steelers, who were suffering several injuries in the defensive backfield, paid the price. Open receivers let many quarterbacks off-the-hook when facing Dick LeBeauís blitz packages.

This year, it wonít be as easy. Why? Bryant McFadden is healthy.

McFadden is back, and according to everyone in camp, heís healthy. According to the Trib-Review, McFadden, Santonio Holmes, James Farrior and fellow corner Ike Taylor all took part in ďthe football boot camp better known as Tom Shaw Performance Enhancement.Ē Shawís specialty is working on speed and agility, and those werenít issues with McFadden before camp.

McFadden brings all facets to a cornerback. At 6′0″, 190 lbs, he has the size to play corner. He has good speed, running a 4.35 40, and has the innate ability to close on the receivers heís covering. He has a 41″ vertical, so there arenít many receivers who are going to out jump him. He is a vicious tackler out of the backfield. Probably the most intangible piece of his game is his nearly overbearing attitude. The kid plays with a mean streak, and fits the Steelers mode to a T.

So, whatís the problem been? In his rookie season, he was just that, a rookie. He still made several solid plays that year, including one of the biggest. He knocked away a pass to Reggie Wayne with 25 seconds left in the game, and Mike Vanderjagt missed the field goal that would have tied the game.

In 2006, he took over for a struggling Ike Taylor. So why didnít he win a job? There were games where he looked like the second coming of Mel Blount, and games when he didnít. There was a level of inconsistency that seemed to match his attitude at the time. Heís not a kid with a bad motor at all, but he does seem to play to the emotion. Before the end of the year, Taylor had regained his job, but McFadden was set to take over in 2007 at some point. Enter Mike Tomlin, who had turned Ronde Barber into pro bowl player in Tampa.

Enter McFaddenís injuries.

Last season, while McFadden was dealing with his ankle injuries, Ike Taylor re-established himself as a decent corner. Deshea Townsend, however, began to show his age. McFadden is ready to pounce, and he should be the starter heading into the season. If he canít beat out Townsend, then Iíve greatly over exaggerated how good McFadden could be. I doubt that very much.

McFadden is entering his contract year, and no doubt, McFadden has a lot to prove. Now that heís healthy, can he remain so? I say yes. Itís not like McFadden is loaded down with injuries. Can he beat out a current corner? I say yes as well. Townsend is 32, and about four years past his prime. Townsend is still serviceable, but I donít see him starting week-in and week-out. Can he be an impact corner? He has a 4.35 40, a 41″ vertical, good football instincts, and is just plain mean. I donít think that will be a problem.

Bryant McFadden is the best corner on the Steelersí roster, and this year, heís going to prove it.
Interesting read but I Dont really agree with this guys assessment. IMO Ike is still the No 1 CB on the roster.

Being a Rosenhaus client and in a final contract year no doubt McFadden will finally play to his potential and then move on via free agency.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Bryant McFadden may be the steelers best cornerback???

Disagree. If BMac plays to potential, we sign him for big money. Ike is underrated and hated by people who don't understand what the CB position is all about, especially in the 3-4. Townsend has beaten out McFadden because he's disciplined and never gets smoked, but he's also a little slow and undersized. He's not a shutdown corner. If this kid IS a shutdown corner, the Steelers will never part with him. It's paramount to the zone/blitz that you have DB's who can live on an island.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Disagree. If BMac plays to potential, we sign him for big money. Ike is underrated and hated by people who don't understand what the CB position is all about, especially in the 3-4. Townsend has beaten out McFadden because he's disciplined and never gets smoked, but he's also a little slow and undersized. He's not a shutdown corner. If this kid IS a shutdown corner, the Steelers will never part with him. It's paramount to the zone/blitz that you have DB's who can live on an island.
Agreed. We haven't had an impact CB since Woody left. If he plays up to his potential the team will keep him off the market. I'm inclined to agree with the article in that BMAc will put Townsend on the nickle defense, or maybe even safety.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't complain about Ike, either. He's LOADED with talent, and only has the very occasional let down. He came from nowhere and had a HUGE role to play in the Steelers SB run. There's a lot of upside to Ike still.

I had BMac bumping Townsend two years ago, and was wrong. Deshea is a great CB, and is the classic overachiever. We were lucky to recognize his talent. But it's time for "next" and I'm really hoping Mac is it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I don't complain about Ike, either. He's LOADED with talent, and only has the very occasional let down. He came from nowhere and had a HUGE role to play in the Steelers SB run. There's a lot of upside to Ike still.

I had BMac bumping Townsend two years ago, and was wrong. Deshea is a great CB, and is the classic overachiever. We were lucky to recognize his talent. But it's time for "next" and I'm really hoping Mac is it.
your assessment of deshea sounds much like what many people didnt realize we had in chris hope.

i agree with rev's assessment of bryant. he has been made to earn his keep, thus keeping his market value a slight bit lower. he was drafted a year or two before he was an actual need. philadelphia and the steelers are excellent in drafting in this manner. it is a great way to keep from drafting in the top 10 every other year.

we all know how good santonio and heath miller are, but do you think the steelers are gonna make them the main focus of the offense, sending them to the pro bowl every year, and out of the stratosphere for their 2nd contract.

its not the steeler way. those whe appreciate steeler tradition should understand this. im not saying a player like james harrison was kinda kept "under wraps" but he was kinda kept under wraps.

i laugh when i hear fans scared of the big, ol, mean, bad, evil agent drew.

how long did he hold the steelers hostage last year when his client (timmons) was the 2nd 1st round rookie to sign (behind 31'st pick olsen)????

long before the rest of the pansie assed teams and their rookie's brokeback agents had to wait on everybody else to "establish the market".
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Is he related to Darren McFadden?
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

all our corner will be facing pretty darn good receivers this season, and they have shown they can occasionally shut down some of em( bungles, colts....) and sometimes just can't seem to keep up( patriots).

the afc north has great receivers, so whoever wins between B Mac and deshea must be more than realiable, which is pretty much what deshea was last season, so I'm hoping bryant performs great. you're healthy? good, show it on the field
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,100 Posts

I think Mcfadden will start in the near future if he don't want a big contract when his comes up.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

I like bmac alot. i hope he shakes the injuries this year pushes deshea to the nickel back. Taylor would be an allpro if he could catch.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

A defensive backfiend of:

CB-Taylor
FS-Clark
SS-Polamalu
CB-McFadden

That is potentially one of THE BEST backfields in the NFL. All we need is for BMac to stop showing flashes of what he can do and just play like the corner we all know he can be. If he does, he'll get locked up. If not, he'll be free to sign with whoever he wants to at postseason's end.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote