Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts
Default Re: Bush To G-8 - 'Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Actually, Bush was wrong about being the "world's biggest polluter." So my question is, when is somebody going to call China out about it?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...9/china.usnews
Obviously not the President if it interferes with being able to do stand up at the G-8
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

I will not give bush good grades on diplomacy but if you have the largest economy in the world you're going to put out a little emission. It's simply a correlation. I would also hazard to guess we put out alot less emissions (as a percentage of GNP for an industrialized nation) than many other countries. And this "climate change" whooressheet is brought up again. Most of the other countries in this world are like a bunch of high school girls who are jealous of the homecoming queen.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

China just took the lead in gross CO2 emmisions amongst nations. But they don't even rate in the top 30 if you look at on a per capita basis. Thats a pretty scary thing when you think about. If the average person in China consumed just half the amount of energy that that a person in the US did, the amount of emmisions would be staggering.

Its right ot be concerned about what is happening in China for sure. We (the US) could do something about it if we somehow demanded all the cheap crap we buy from China be produced in a more enviromentally friendly way. Problem is that the WTO and our free trade agreements won't allow our government to place any significant tarriffs or other trade restrictions to force China to clean up their act. The only way we could effectively do that would be for consumers to band together and not purchase stuff that is made in an environmentally detrimental fashion. Call me a cynic, but I think it will be a cold day in hell when enough people in the US are concerned about environmental issues in China enough to motivate them to refuse to buy the cheapest item they can find at Walmart.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

We need to take the lead on environmental issues and try to be an example to the rest of the world. If we're so hell bent on pushing our way of life on the world... we should try to do some positive things with that power.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
We need to take the lead on environmental issues and try to be an example to the rest of the world. If we're so hell bent on pushing our way of life on the world... we should try to do some positive things with that power.
How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues? And what exactly do you mean by us pushing our way of life on the world? Individual Freedom? Freedom from Tyranny?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues? And what exactly do you mean by us pushing our way of life on the world? Individual Freedom? Freedom from Tyranny?
Have to agree that might be regarded as an overreaching arrogance of misperceived power, but it is not as if we have not heard it before:

"We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands." "Across the generations we have proclaimed the imperative of self government. . . . Now it is the urgent requirement of our nation's security, and the calling of our time." "It is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in the world."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110006184

Guess who?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
My point is...If we are going to push things, instead of pushing a garbage consumer culture that only betters the rich of this nation, why dont we try to push things that benefit the world as a whole?

And we push our way of life everyday, by the power of the purse and the power of the gun.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

Quote:
How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues?
Hey man, I think the United States should AT LEAST be equal with our allies when it comes to standards in environmental issues. California passed a law in 2002 that gave 7 years for Americas big three auto makers to subscribe to the same emmisions/MPG's all other auto makers have in effect TODAY and they file a big 'ol lawsuit. They could of used that money and time litigating on developing a car that would compete with the friggen Prius that's all over the place out here. I don't know, maybe develop a car the American people are demanding? Maybe even build it in this country, as opposed to Mexico (where my friends focus was built). Instead all we hear from the the big 3 is how an already achieved goal is impossible. When it comes to taking the lead, I really don't expect that from my government.. I'll be happy if they just keep up.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Environmental issues in developing naations are a huge issue. I think there is no moral way we can tell other countries that they should not strive to develop their economies. But there is no way a developing nation can implement high end environmental standards and actually grow. Therein lies the dilema.

Some have propsed the the advanced nations should finance environmental safeguards in the developing ones. But I doubt the American electorate is going to go to for using tax money to put C02 scrubbers in Bengladesh.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
Some have propsed the the advanced nations should finance environmental safeguards in the developing ones. But I doubt the American electorate is going to go to for using tax money to put C02 scrubbers in Bengladesh.
Me too, especially when more and more of that electorate is being put out of work by the much cheaper labor in said developing countries.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote