Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Two Steeler SB rings to be sold on Ebay

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08193/896313-66.stm

Who wants to buy a Super Bowl ring?
Two of them from '70s Steelers to be sold on eBay
Friday, July 11, 2008
By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sweating through training camp, studying playbooks, pounding through practices, and then taking the weekly beatings that are part of life in the National Football League -- all this so that one day you can own a Super Bowl ring.

Or you can just go to eBay.

That's the game plan for some less-than-athletic types who are expected to bid for two Steelers Super Bowl rings going on the Internet auction block Monday.

Right now, the two rings -- given in the mid-1970s to a Steelers front-office employee after wins in Super Bowls IX and X -- are in a safe deposit box in a Mt. Lebanon bank. Part of a court-approved bankruptcy sale, they have been appraised at more than $10,000 each, according to Fred Fall, who has been appointed to oversee the liquidation.

"This ring is exactly as Joe Greene or Jack Ham's or any of the other players' rings," said Mr. Fall, of Fall Liquidation in Oakmont. "The only difference is that the name is different. It's a real, authentic Super Bowl ring."

The eBay listing will include each ring's size and weight and a detailed description. The name engraved on the side is that of the Steelers' employee who received them from the team.

"We didn't want to put the fellow's name in there because it's embarrassing," Mr. Fall said. "He's filed for bankruptcy, and he's lost the rings."

The rings are being auctioned separately.

The first one, commemorating the Steelers' Jan. 12, 1975, victory over the Minnesota Vikings, will be put up at 12:15 p.m. and taken down one week later. Manufactured by Jostens, it is made of 10-karat gold weighing 42.3 grams and has a single 1-carat modern-cut diamond. Listed in mint condition, it bears the words "Pittsburgh Steelers -- World Champions 1974" and the results of the team's three postseason games.

The auction for the other one, honoring the Steelers' Jan. 18, 1976, defeat of the Dallas Cowboys, begins at 12:45 p.m. and likewise ends a week later.

That ring, manufactured by Balfour, also is of 10K gold and weighs 36.7 grams. It has two half-carat diamonds, signifying the Steelers' second Super Bowl win, and an image of the Vince Lombardi Trophy awarded to the NFL champion. It's also in mint condition.

"The successful bidders would pay certified funds to the trustee and get the rings," Mr. Fall said.

A minimum bid of $1,000 is listed for each ring, and there is an unpublished reserve.

"It is something," said Mr. Fall, 55, a lifelong Steelers fan who had the rings photographed for sale on eBay. "I have to say, it was the first time I've handled an authentic championship ring of any kind."

Mr. Fall said the NFL and the Steelers have no prohibition against selling the rings. Once given to the player, coach or team employee, the ring becomes the property of the recipient.

This isn't the first time that Super Bowl rings have been sold. In 2000, for example, Lester Hayes, the former All-Pro cornerback of the Los Angeles Raiders, pawned his Super Bowl XVIII ring for $800. Before he could buy it back, the pawnshop put the ring up for auction on eBay, and within 24 hours the bidding was up to $11,000. That ring eventually went to an anonymous bidder for $18,200.

"But I don't think that eBay has seen many of these," Mr. Fall said. "There just aren't that many out there that are available."

A number of variables, naturally, will come into play with the sale.

"The rings are probably less valuable because it's a front office personnel rather than a player," Mr. Fall said.

Still, he anticipates a successful sale.

"There are Steelers fans all over the world. I think this is a very good way of getting the rings out there," he said. "And sports collectibles bring crazy money, because people like to own pieces of history, and this is a piece of history."
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Two Steeler SB rings to be sold on Ebay

I'm sure they'll sell, but for me personally, a big part of the cachet of a ring like that is that the person whose name is engraved on the ring was actually part of the team that won it. It seems to me the real meaning of the ring would be lost by buying it off of Ebay. At that point, it's no longer special - just an expensive piece of jewelry.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
FordsnSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8548

agreed. it has no real meaning if your name isnt on it.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would say that they will bring more then 10 thousand each but personally I wouldn't want one.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

that is just terrible.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
slashsteel

Member Number:

Hell I want one, but it is a little out of my price range. :)
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Whose on the rings?
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
cakmakli
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6384

Does anyone know if they have sold yet? I can't find them on ebay. Does anyone have the link?
cakmakli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Does anyone know if they have sold yet? I can't find them on ebay. Does anyone have the link?
They don't go on sale until tomorrow.

Quote:
That's the game plan for some less-than-athletic types who are expected to bid for two Steelers Super Bowl rings going on the Internet auction block Monday.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I'm sure they'll sell, but for me personally, a big part of the cachet of a ring like that is that the person whose name is engraved on the ring was actually part of the team that won it. It seems to me the real meaning of the ring would be lost by buying it off of Ebay. At that point, it's no longer special - just an expensive piece of jewelry.
Couldn't agree more...although the temptation is there.

Part of me would like to see someone buy it and return to the original player. The other part of me wonders what kind of idiotic behavior led to his demise. You know. The strippers. The Hummers. Marrying the wrong gold digger.

SAD but true.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote