Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Steelers considering Kevin Jones

Former Lions running back Kevin Jones visits Steelers

By James Pete | July 11th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The Pittsburgh Steelers received a visit Wednesday from former Detroit Lionsí running back, Kevin Jones. The visit was a follow-up after the Steelers had sent college scouting director Ron Hughes to a Jones workout in Saline, Michigan in late June.

Jones is attempting to recover from knee surgery to repair an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

Itís unknown where Jones would fit on this team after they picking up running backs Rashard Mendenhall via draft, and Mewelde Moore via free agency, both to back up starter Willie Parker. Itís unquestioned that Jones, a former 1,000 yard rusher, is talented when healthy. Still, the Steelers seem set at running back.

Speculation is that Kevin Jones may be set to sign an early contract so that he can take part in training camp. The Steelers are the only team to have met with the running back after his June workout. Jones is scheduled to meet with Tampa Bay next week. The Buccaneers were not one of the four teams at the workout, and also seem set at running back with Earnest Graham, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and Warrick Dunn.

Jones probably wouldnít be ready by the beginning of the season, but it could be an interesting proposition for the Steelers to add Jones to their running back situation after the halfway point. Obviously, injuries canít be predictied, but Jones would provide the Steelers with a viable replacement should something serious happen to any of the other Steelersí running backs.

Gary Russell, assumed to be the fourth-string running back on the team, would be the odd-man out. Russell, who was good enough to share time with Lawrence Maroney in Minnesota, is believed to have starting talent. Unfortunately, it doesnít appear as though heíll get an opportunity to see the field for the Steelers, even if Jones doesnít sign.

It seems unbelievable to me, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are seriously considering signing Jones. Itís not that I donít want him on the team, because I do. It just seems to be an unbelievable amount of riches for the Steelers at running back should he sign. With the Steelers being the only team to visit with Jones twice, it may just be a matter of time. The bonus is that Jones will had had at a bargain-basement price.

Look for Jones to visit with the Buccaneers next week, and make his decision soon thereafter. He could be within the Steelersí fold before players report on July 27th.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...sits-steelers/

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784
Default Re: Steelers considering Kevin Jones

Wow. Mixed feelings here. Pretty much for the stated reasons. I wouldn't mind having him, but we do seem set at RB. Maybe we'd be better off shoring up some other more needed position if we have some kind of $ left?
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

This is really weird. It almost seems like Tomlin is over reacting to the injury of Willie Parker last year. Obivously I am not the GM, but I think this is a waste of time, they should be looking for depth along the offensive and defensive lines.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
FordsnSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8548

ok i like jones but come on, wille and mendenhall is it. and i really wanna see what gary russell can do. i dont care for moore so what the hell, cut moore sign Jones!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Maybe one of these guys are going to beef up and play offensive line. Nothing like inside information because I do not understand this at all.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Or maybe WP's injury isn't coming along as expected. Russell hasn't shown that much since he's been here. IMO a healthy Jones with a new lease on life by getting out of Detroit and coming here could be pretty special.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

IF we sign Jones...it may point towards us offering up Parker next year before the draft in exchange for a 1st round pick (and then some)....I would still feel very comfortable with a backfield of Mendenhall/Jones/Moore at the beginning of next season.
If thats the case...look for Tomlin to showcase Parkers talent like a trick pony in order to draw interest in him. Then next year we may be looking at two first round and possible two third round picks....5 picks in the first three rounds would go a long way in strengthening our D-line..O-line..and secondary depth!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

He is a starter, not a thrid string guy. Waste of money to take on him.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
slashsteel

Member Number:

Doesn't hurt to look, I am sure thats all it was. A good team never stops looking to upgrade..........
Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it will be interesting to see what will happen. i see the trade talks happening and an addition 1st and 3rd could help "reload" the lines.. and he would be cheap

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote