Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Signing Mendenhall & Sweed

Signing Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed

By James Pete | July 13th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The only two remaining Steelers left to be signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers are first and second round picks, Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed. With training camp opening two weeks from today, there’s been some trepidation throughout the fan-base about how contract talks were going. Rest assured Steelers Nation, The Steelers are ahead of schedule with signing draft picks.

Last season, the Steelers signed first round draft pick, Lawrence Timmons, on July 22nd, and second round pick, LaMarr Woodley, on July 18th. In 2006, Pittsburgh signed their first round pick, Santonio Holmes on July 28th, as well as third round pick, Willie Reid. Fellow third round pick, Anthony Smith, signed his deal on July 26th (they traded their second round pick). 2005 first round pick, Heath Miller, signed his contract on July 25th, with second round pick, Bryant McFadden also signing in late July. You see my point. Pittsburgh usually gets the job with these deals either before camp opens, or during the first couple of days of camp. Ben Roethlisberger was the latest of the recent first round picks, signing his deal on August 4th.

So what does this all mean? Pittsburgh will get these two signed, and more than likely, the deals will be done sometime during the week leading up to camp. There is some speculation that both Mendenhall and Sweed might look for a bigger signing bonus than their selections would suggest. Both draft picks were considered bargains at the slot they were selected in, so if their agents are worth anything, he’ll push for a bit of a jump in bonus money.

Look for Mendenhall’s deal to be a five-year contract, worth in the ballpark of 9.5-10 million dollars. Sweed’s deal might be a little more tricky to predict, but it’s likely to be a four-year contract, worth around 3.5 million.

The sooner these guys are signed, the better.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...d-limas-sweed/

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148
Default Re: Signing Mendenhall & Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
There is some speculation that both Mendenhall and Sweed might look for a bigger signing bonus than their selections would suggest. Both draft picks were considered bargains at the slot they were selected in, so if their agents are worth anything, he’ll push for a bit of a jump in bonus money.
This is the stuff that really chaps my ass! I like these two kids, but for them to pressume they should get a bigger payday because they were "bargains" is a big pile! They were drafted where they were drafted because the other teams felt that another player was a better fit for them. To thier defense, this is just a product of these sleezy fa-king agents/lawyers trying to pad thier own pockets! I for one think the NFL should put a cap on the amount of money an agent can make off a player!

I'm all for better regulations on money paid to draft picks. It's actually quite simple as we all know. Performance based contracts is the answer!

Now that I'm done ranting....... I hope these two kids are indeed the "bargain/steal" of the draft!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,456 Posts

Its not their fault entirely. They are what 24 years old and doing what they should do.....listening to their agents.

This is why I am a big fan of the NBA rookie salary structure, where money is allocated for each draft position. It eliminates the need for agent crap and holdouts, while paying rookies well, but keeping in mind these guys havent done a thing yet.

I'm baffled how some kid that is gonna get taped to the goal post, have to carry veterans shoulder pads from practice and sing their college fight songs in the cafeteria are somehow guaranteed 20 million dollars, while a 5 year vet is guaranteed he can be released if he doesnt perform.

They will signed in time for camp. Lots of time already.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
This is the stuff that really chaps my ass! I like these two kids, but for them to pressume they should get a bigger payday because they were "bargains" is a big pile! They were drafted where they were drafted because the other teams felt that another player was a better fit for them. To thier defense, this is just a product of these sleezy fa-king agents/lawyers trying to pad thier own pockets! I for one think the NFL should put a cap on the amount of money an agent can make off a player!

I'm all for better regulations on money paid to draft picks. It's actually quite simple as we all know. Performance based contracts is the answer!

Now that I'm done ranting....... I hope these two kids are indeed the "bargain/steal" of the draft!
I dunno. I think they should try to get as much as they possibly can; it's the American way. It's pure capitalism. It's driven by our fanaticism for the Steelers, after all. If we didn't care so much, they wouldn't be worth so much.

It's a lot better this way than it was before, when players were given a contract at what management wanted to pay, and were told to sign or hit the bricks. As recently as the 1970s, players had off season jobs, you know.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I was kind of surprised when I saw what our two #6's signed at. I couldn't help but think that wasn't very much for what thier about to go through, not to mention the hard work and odds they overcame to even get drafted.

Its the huge money the 1st 15-20 drafted players command that throws the system out of whack IMO
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

I agree with Gonzo, the league needs to go to what the NBA does and let them EARN their big contracts after the rookie contract is over! You know, like the rest of America does every day... Well, for the most part. LoL
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

not a big deal

the amounts they will get are pretty much slotted. since Mendenhall was a late 1st rd pick, we will get him signed to a very reasonable contract.

It sucks to have a top 12 pick and be forced to pay a lot of money to an unproven player (unless you nail the pick like we did with Big Ben )
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
not a big deal

the amounts they will get are pretty much slotted. since Mendenhall was a late 1st rd pick, we will get him signed to a very reasonable contract.

It sucks to have a top 12 pick and be forced to pay a lot of money to an unproven player (unless you nail the pick like we did with Big Ben )
I guess we can be thankful that we rarely have to worry about that

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I guess we can be thankful that we rarely have to worry about that
Big time

Drafting the wrong guy near the top can really set your team back.

And drafting the right guy later in the first round can really help your team (good player, cheap contract)
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,565 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Hopefully they will not want big contracts because they were bargans but maybe we will get them signed and into training camp before it starts.