Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,628 Posts
Default Re: Maddox gets the nod...

The last hope upon which we can rely is that Maddox will not need to worry about being booed the first time he screws up in a road game and will not press to start the game. Instead, Maddox will fall apart after his first interception :)

Of greater concern to me is that if Ben is not healthy enough to start he should be deactivated for Sunday. If he is uniform, it will be tough for Cowher not to put in Ben if Tommy Gun once again does not move the team and the Steelers fall behind.

There was talk about resigning Kordell, but the P-G confirmed that Kordell left town with a fair amount of bitterness and is in no mood to return, a sentiment apparently shared by St. Pierre, who would rather carry a clipboard in Baltimore.

Although it is difficult to assume you will ever be down to your 3rd string QB as the starter, going with Maddox gives me a bad feeling about this coming Sunday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

It's official http://media3.steelers.com/article/59362/
Old 11-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I don't know what's worse Tommy's obvious lack of confidence or his massive state of denial. Anyone with working eyes could see how defeated he looked out there against Cleveland.

The Cleveland situation was awkward - he was just demoted to 3rd string and had to come in at halftime to follow a solid performance from the guy that just took his job. All of this in front of fans who have been on his behind since the Jax game.

This game is different. He knows he's our guy this game, he doesn't have to worry about Batch taking his job, and he doesn't have to deal with adversity from the home fans.

Granted, he might still go out there and be terrible, but mentally, he should be a lot better off this time.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #14
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I hate to say it but with Maddox being the starter against Baltimore I'm putting this game in "L Column".

If Ben can play then Cowher should have him starting.
This whole situation of holding Ben out has the potential to blow up in Cowher's face.
First off...I don't see Maddox playing worth a hill of beans in Baltimore which pretty much equates to giving the game away before it's even played IMO.
Secondly...I would assume Ben will start against the Colts the following week on MNF.
That's a helluva game for Ben to come back and try and shake off three weeks of rust.

Being overly conservative with Ben's injury could end up costing the Steelers two big games.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #15
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
I hate to say it but with Maddox being the starter against Baltimore I'm putting this game in "L Column".

If Ben can play then Cowher should have him starting.
This whole situation of holding Ben out has the potential to blow up in Cowher's face.
First off...I don't see Maddox playing worth a hill of beans in Baltimore which pretty much equates to giving the game away before it's even played IMO.
Secondly...I would assume Ben will start against the Colts the following week on MNF.
That's a helluva game for Ben to come back and try and shake off three weeks of rust.

Being overly conservative with Ben's injury could end up costing the Steelers two big games.
I agree here.Let Ben shake off rust in this game.He needs to get his timing back with Hines and El.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,628 Posts

You can't shake off rust until you are healthy enough to shake. The Ravens game is not a playoff status game that merits risking Ben for the rest of the season by either: 1) Ben getting hurt again; and/or 2) Ben never being fully healed for the rest of the year because he is rushed back too soon (such as was the case when Kendrell Bell was rushed back for the New England opener in 2002 and reinjured his ankle, resulting in his effective loss for most of 2002).

If Ben is not healthy enough to start he should not even be activated; what will blow up in Cowher's face is if he plays Ben in relief on Sunday and Ben gets hurt.

Allow Ben to recuperate, shake off the rust in the Colts game when he can use his legs, and have Ben back at full speed and rust free for the absolutely crucial Bengals game.

Even if the Steelers lose to Indy and Baltimore, they will win the division at 12-4 if they win the rest of the schedule and Cincy loses to Indy (my pick on Sunday) or, for that matter, KC.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #17
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
You can't shake off rust until you are healthy enough to shake. The Ravens game is not a playoff status game that merits risking Ben for the rest of the season by either: 1) Ben getting hurt again; and/or 2) Ben never being fully healed for the rest of the year because he is rushed back too soon (such as was the case when Kendrell Bell was rushed back for the New England opener in 2002 and reinjured his ankle, resulting in his effective loss for most of 2002).

If Ben is not healthy enough to start he should not even be activated; what will blow up in Cowher's face is if he plays Ben in relief on Sunday and Ben gets hurt.

Allow Ben to recuperate, shake off the rust in the Colts game when he can use his legs, and have Ben back at full speed and rust free for the absolutely crucial Bengals game.

Even if the Steelers lose to Indy and Baltimore, they will win the division at 12-4 if they win the rest of the schedule and Cincy loses to Indy (my pick on Sunday) or, for that matter, KC.
If Ben's status is 90-95% then I don't think that is rushing him back too soon and no the game against the Ravens is not a playoff status game but it does give the Steelers a golden opportunity to go up a game on the Bengals if they lose on Sunday to Indy.

Do we even want to go over the scenario if Cincy should beat the Colts and we lose the next two weeks to both Balt. and Indy??
The game against the Ravens is a little more important than it appears on the surface and Tommy Maddox is just waiting to have a "Jacksonville-Part Deux" type of game against the Ravens.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #18
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Didn't we sign Rutherford? Granted, he's not the second coming of Montana, but he can put some zip on the ball...If Maddox is clearly losing the game, Cowher needs to pull the trigger and try to spark the O any way he can.

I'm with Ambridge on this one...I'd like to think that Maddox has something left, but judging by his arm strength, I think it's just over...

I hope like Hell he proves me wrong...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #19
Randle el#82
Water Boy

Member Number: 813

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Maddox is to start , im prayin he does good
Randle el #82
Randle el#82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #20
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

Come on Tommy show us the Jacksonville game was just a bad day![/QUOTE]

I would like to echo that. Tommy is better than what he has shown and deserves our support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!