Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #31
9-5
Banned

Member Number: 8674
Default Re: P. Manning undergoes knee surgury

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
When plays break down, there's no more dangerous QB than Ben
LMAO

Other then Vince Young and David Garrard, you're kind of right.......
9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #32
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-5 View Post
LMAO

Do VY and Garrard have the ability to kill you with a 30-yard TD when the play breaks down and they're flushed out of the pocket? Nope. Certainly not VY.

Making plays with your legs isn't the only way a QB can be effective when the play breaks down. I'll take a guy who can run for 15 yards AND throw a strike downfield when he is forced to scramble than a guy who can run, but is not even close to accurate throwing on the move.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #33
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Do VY and Garrard have the ability to kill you with a 30-yard TD when the play breaks down and they're flushed out of the pocket? Nope. Certainly not VY.

Making plays with your legs isn't the only way a QB can be effective when the play breaks down. I'll take a guy who can run for 15 yards AND throw a strike downfield when he is forced to scramble than a guy who can run, but is not even close to accurate throwing on the move.
I agree. While, at times, it's fun to watch QBs scramble 30 yards (or 80 yards like Kordell did a few years back against Carolina) it's a heck of a lot more fun to watch a QB scramble for 500 yards while running sideline to sideline and then chuck the ball 75 yards for a TD!!!

I don't see VY or DG being able to do that. But I think the jury is still out on DG. All and all I'll take Big Ben in that situation.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: P. Manning undergoes knee surgery

The more this new kid posts, the clearer it is that he really doesn't know much about:

A) The Steelers
B) The position of QB
C) What a quick read is
D) Big Ben
E) How the draft works
F) Football in general
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #35
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
LMAO

I didn't say there were no other dangerous QBs, just not one as dangerous as Ben.

VY is still more HB than QB. While that makes him an effective scrambler, he's still raw in finding his targets downfield. I'll give him this though, he's a better QB than Vick was, even if Vick was the more dangerous scrambler.

Garrard is pretty good, but if I had to choose who I'd hate to face the most in that situation, I'd rather my defense face Garrard. I think Garrard has the makings of a good QB, but Ben (when healthy) has been doing it a little longer, so I give him the edge there.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #36
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
I took nothing out of context. You're "opinion" is that he is not a good pocket passer because he doesn't make quicker reads and doesn't throw the ball away. The major thing wrong with that statement is that you, or any other fan for that matter has no clue what the play calls are. If Bens 1st read is a deep post and it doesn't open up he must improvise. To say that he needs to get the ball out faster is crazy. How the hell do you know what the OC's play call was? You talk about studying football but you don't seem to have any real perspective. For christ sake you're a browns fan. You "should" know what kind of OC Arians is. The guy likes to go downfield with the ball. That takes time to develope. Man I can't believe you have the balls to come here and make statements like these...." I study football "... " Ben needs to work on being a pocket passer 'cause he holds the ball and moves around too much". Get a clue man. The only thing you've said about Ben that makes sense is that he is more vulnerable to injury by being so mobile. That I agree with, but I don't want him to change a damn thing!

Saying Ben needs to become a better pocket passer implies that he isn't as good as QBs who are. BULLSHIT! Someone referenced how the great Marino didn't take a lot of sacks because he was a "pocket passer". These guys who are considered true pocket passers like Marino, Bledsoe and Carson Palmer all have NO rings! Lots of stats, but who gives a rats ass about stats! Give me the rings any day! Peyton may be a great pocket passer but Ben did in 2 years what it took Peyton 9 years to do! (Ben would have done it in 1 if it wasn't for the cheatriots and their fuggin cheating!)

For your sake I hope you see the reality and accept that you have made the wrong analysis on this topic. You say you study football? Well, learn the lesson at hand!

I don't want Ben to change his style either, but I am concerned that a lineman IS going to roll on his ankle or smash his knee ala Culpepper, Palmer, or egads, Theismann and he won't have his mobility that he DOES rely on quite a bit. That is what I am concerned about.

Oh, and psst....Bledsoe DOES have a ring, as a backup with the Pats....just not as a starter.

Credit: Spongebobglav for both avatar and signature
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #37
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
LMAO

YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedgehead View Post
I don't want Ben to change his style either, but I am concerned that a lineman IS going to roll on his ankle or smash his knee ala Culpepper, Palmer, or egads, Theismann and he won't have his mobility that he DOES rely on quite a bit. That is what I am concerned about. C'mon! Think about your comment. Culpepper may be the only QB you mentioned who was actually mobile. The other two were/are statues! Thus proving the point that injuries happen to every player! Trying to gauge which style of QB is more at risk is a mute point!

Oh, and psst....Bledsoe DOES have a ring, as a backup with the Pats....just not as a starter. Does that REALLY count in your eyes? Sure Bledsoe helped to get them in the SB but he did not play!
I feel like this topic is never gonna die!

I for one am done talking to the wall!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: P. Manning undergoes knee surgery

A ring is a ring.

A guy who attends 8 straight years of college with a C- average still has a doctorate. He still get's called doctor.

How they get there is irrelevant. He was a starter who lost his job to injury because his replacement could play. Tommy Maddox has a ring too. Does his ring not count? Because i'm pretty sure the scenarios are similar in that regard.

Do you have to be a starter to earn a Superbowl Ring? Do you have to make even one play? Can you not provide other support? You think that Bledsoe didn't help coach Brady up some? You think he didn't see things from the Sideline (maybe defensive signals) that he could radio in to Brady? I'm pretty sure that he was talking to Brady everytime the offense left the field (whether it was due to a score or a stalled drive).

He got his. That's all that matters.

Unless you're trying to say that Lynn Swann is not a 4-time Superbowl Winner. He didn't catch a single pass in that game. I'd still say that he has 4-rings and is a 4 time SB winner. But that's just me.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote