Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #121
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216
Default Re: The SEC

OU always looks good until its bowl season. if OSU did not melt down in the last two BCS championship games everybody would be talking about Oklahoma. USC, Boise State, and West Virginia moped the floor with them.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #122
atlsteelers
Starter

UGA looks to increase national exposure
By TIM TUCKER
Cox News Service

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

ATHENS, Ga. — When Georgia's football team travels to Arizona State this week, it'll be the longest trip the Bulldogs have taken for a regular-season game since Dwight Eisenhower was president.

And it'll be the first time the Dogs have left the Southeast for a regular-season game since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House.

Aside from bowls, the trip to Tempe, Ariz., will be Georgia's longest since a 1960 excursion to Southern Cal and first outside the Southeast since 1965 and 1967 visits to Michigan and Houston, respectively.

In the decades since, no major college football team has stayed closer to home than the Bulldogs.

That changes this week.

"I always had that concern about us not getting outside our region," Georgia athletics director Damon Evans said. "I've had a thought of us becoming more a nationally known program. One of the best ways to do that is to take your biggest or most recognized sport across the country.

"I want to grow our brand," Evans added. "I think getting across this great country of ours and showing people what the Georgia Bulldogs are about will help with our brand recognition. I think it also will help with our recruiting."

Evans said he is committed to playing, in addition to Georgia Tech, at least one other non-conference opponent from a BCS league every year. He is committed to two-year contracts with such opponents — a game in Athens one year and on the road another year.

In fact, Georgia already has scheduled one opponent more distant than this week's: It'll play at Oregon in 2015. The Bulldogs will go to Oklahoma State next year and to Colorado in 2010.

Evans said the key to the change in scheduling philosophy was the NCAA's addition, starting in 2006, of a 12th regular-season game each year.

Under an 11-game schedule, Georgia maintained that its SEC slate — including the annual neutral-site game against Florida — and its rivalry game against Georgia Tech discouraged other non-conference road games. That was partly because another road game would have left the Bulldogs with just five home dates some years.

"We weren't willing to do that," Evans said. "But when the 12-game schedule rolled around, it presented a great opportunity."

Along with the inter-regional games, Georgia has scheduled Louisville in 2011 (home) and 2012 (road) and restored Clemson — a frequent foe in past decades — to the schedule in 2013 (road) and 2014 (home).

Even with a 12-game schedule, Georgia gives up a lucrative seventh home date each time it adds a non-conference road game. That amounts to a loss of more than $3 million in ticket and concessions revenue.

"If our brand grows, that revenue will be made up," Evans said. "And if these games help ... put us in position to compete for the national championship, that itself outweighs money."

Bulldogs coach Mark Richt said he concurred with adding some far-flung opponents.

"The bottom line was, we wanted to ... give our fans and players the experience and allow the other side of the country to maybe take a little more notice of Georgia and not look at (UGA) as such a regional team," Richt said.

He said such games could provide recruiting benefits.

"There might be one great player on that side of the country who gets a chance to go to the game ... and all of a sudden takes a liking to (Georgia)," Richt said.

Still, such a trip can substantially complicate the season, especially when it falls — as it does this year — on the week before an SEC showdown against Alabama and on a schedule that already includes games at LSU and Auburn.

"I'm always mindful the Southeastern Conference is a tough conference," said Evans, a former Georgia football player. "At the same time, I believe that in order to be the best you've got to beat the best, and you've got to get out there and play a national schedule."

To offset such schedule challenges, Evans said Georgia plans plans to book one Division I-AA opponent each year. The Bulldogs opened this season against Georgia Southern and will play Tennessee Tech next year.

"We're trying to maintain some balance," Evans said.

He noted other SEC teams — particularly Tennessee and occasionally others — have made trips out West in recent years.

And he sees the shift in Georgia's philosophy as one that could lead to some compelling — although not currently scheduled — match-ups in years ahead.

"Think about this: Michigan down in Sanford Stadium and us up in The Big House," Evans said. "Or Notre Dame down in Sanford Stadium and us up in South Bend."
Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #123
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

All well and good as long as they win.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #124
atlsteelers
Starter

I hope we win. not sure if we will. but i wanted to post that article because we get such grief for never traveling out of the south. as you can see things are changing.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #125
revefsreleets
Living Legend

But if the Bulldogs lose, i see them pulling the plug on ever venturing outside the SE again.

They will bask in much love from the media though, as this will be the big get this weekend.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #126
GoFins11
Starter

Member Number: 5876

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
But if the Bulldogs lose, i see them pulling the plug on ever venturing outside the SE again.

They will bask in much love from the media though, as this will be the big get this weekend.
Don't jinx them

They need to stay unbeaten until the Florida-Georgia game.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #127
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Please tell me that the ASU/UGA game is the 8 PM game. 4:15 don't cut it...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #128
atlsteelers
Starter

Yeah its the 8pm game. gofins - i hope we are still unbeaten when we play you guys - at that point we will be on the home stretch. so just take care of UT this weekend and we will do what it takes out in the desert.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #129
revefsreleets
Living Legend

UT is awful...Florida is going to beat them by 30 points.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #130
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

florida should put up some nice numbers.. i can see tebow just destroying them

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote