Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #351
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772
Default Re: The SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Hatfields and McCoys circa 2008...
That would be a funny story if it didn't involve people being killed. That is just senseless.

I bet none of those involved in the shooting have ever stepped foot inside either Alabama's or LSU's football stadiums. I also bet that none of those involved even made it past the seventh grade.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #352
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post

Investigators said alcohol was believed to have been a factor in the killings
Wow, ya think?
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #353
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,190 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
Smith retrieved a pistol from his vehicle, and threatened Williams, who armed himself with a shotgun and fired two blasts, striking and killing Dennis Smith, officers said.

Donna Smith then threatened Williams
, who shot and killed the woman, they said.
what the hell was the threat ??? " i.m tellin on you" ??? .........geesh the guy just smoked her husband, and all she does is come off with a threat....to a murderer holding a shotgun non the less...... ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #354
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

crazy people shouldn't be allowed to watch football. bottom line.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #355
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

In the spirit of banjos and trailer parks, here are this week's picks:

Georgia 31, Auburn 20 (The Deep South's oldest rivalry might end up being a lot closer than most people think, but Auburn's offense is still pretty bad.)

Florida 35, South Carolina 17 (Two years ago, UF had to block a last second field goal to escape the Swamp with a victory; this one won't be that close.)

Alabama 23, Mississippi State 10 (Mississippi State has traditionally played Alabama tougher than anyone on the Tide's schedule - this year won't be any different.)

LSU 34, Troy 16 (Trojans catch Bayou Bengals at a good time since LSU might be suffering hangover effects from Bama loss; four years ago LSU only beat Troy 24-20 in Death Valley.)

Kentucky 27, Vanderbilt 21 (Vandy needs only one more win to become bowl eligible; they'll leave the Commonwealth still needing one more win to become bowl eligible.)

Ole Miss 37, Louisiana-Monroe 13 (Ole Miss is now playing for bowl positioning; a couple more wins and a possible Music City or Chick-fil-A Bowl could be on the horizon.)

* Arkansas and Tennessee are off this week; good thing for the Vols.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #356
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I agree with all but I think LSU takes their frustrations out on Troy.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #357
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

What happens if Miss State beats Bama, how far does Bama drop? Would that eliminate them from the Title Picture even if they went on to beat Florida?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #358
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
What happens if Miss State beats Bama, how far does Bama drop? Would that eliminate them from the Title Picture even if they went on to beat Florida?
I think the BCS is purposefully keeping certain teams inside the top 12. It started when USC didn't fall very far. Even last year, a big loss to a bad team would cost you 8 spots. This year it's like 4-5.

Bama loses and they drop to 5 I bet, no farther, no matter that Miss St is relatively awful...
Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #359
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

vanderbilt - they have been looking for that last win to make them bowl elidible since early october. so out of mercy i am hoping that vandy takes it to kentucky this weekend. plus coach Johnson's name is being thrown around as a candidate at so many other schools right now.

speaking of vanderbilt - the steelers wrap up the season in nashville - might be a fun game to go to depends on if either team has any thing to play for that weekend.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #360
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Georgia-Auburn rivalry friendlier than others

By TIM TUCKER

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Athens — Of Georgia’s football rivalries, the border battle with Auburn is the oldest, going all the way back to a game in Atlanta’s Piedmont Park in 1892, and the most competitive, with 111 meetings decided by an average score of 15.6-15.2.

Yet the Georgia-Auburn rivalry somehow has survived all those years and all those battles without developing the rancor of Georgia-Georgia Tech or Georgia-Florida.

“I think for the most part it’s really been on a high plane,” said Vince Dooley, the former Auburn player and former Georgia coach.

“It seems like everybody gets along a little bit better, even though we do compete in a fierce way,” said Mark Richt, the current Georgia coach. “It’s almost, almost, almost like family. I don’t know if I would say it is.”

“Feuding cousins,” Dooley said.

Saturday, in Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium, Georgia and Auburn will meet for the 112th time — the seventh most-played series in Division I-A football, the oldest series in the Deep South and one of the most competitive anywhere.

Auburn leads the series 53-50-8, and after all those games only 45 points separate the teams: Georgia 1,730-Auburn 1,685. Georgia has won the past two meetings by uncharacteristically wide margins, but the teams are 5-5 and 8-8-1 against one another over the past 10 and 17 years.

It is a quirky series — a series in which the road team has won more often than the home team and a series in which the lower-ranked team has won seven of the past 12 games. But the quirkiest thing, given the nature of rivalry in college football, is that for the most part Georgia and Auburn confine their feud to the field.

This, after all, is a series in which Georgia long was coached by an Auburn grad (Dooley) and Auburn by a Georgia grad (Pat Dye).

Such crossovers continue, with two current Georgia assistants — defensive line coach Rodney Garner and offensive line coach Stacy Searels — having played at Auburn and Auburn offensive line coach Hugh Nall having played at Georgia.

“There is a lot in common between the two schools in a lot of ways,” said Dooley, who has good reason for fond feelings about the series: Five of his six SEC championships as Georgia coach were clinched with victories at Auburn.

Oh, the series has had its spats, like when the Auburn grounds crew turned fire hoses on Georgia fans who stormed the field after an upset victory in 1986. And some Auburn players took offense last year when, during Georgia’s victory in Athens, Bulldogs players danced on the sidelines to the song “Crank That (Soulja Boy).”

“I hate to say hate, but I can’t stand Georgia,” Auburn running back Tristan Davis said this week.

Davis, from East Point, is among 25 Georgians on Auburn’s roster, compared to just two players from Alabama on Georgia’s roster.

Said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville: “The reason a lot of these players came here [is] they wanted to play either against Georgia or against Alabama.”

Still, some Georgia players — accustomed to the heat of the Florida and Tech rivalries — hardly recognize the Auburn series in the same genre.

“I wouldn’t even really say it’s a rivalry,” safety Reshad Jones said. “I’d say it’s another tough SEC game.”

“I think it’s pretty big, but not a Georgia-Georgia Tech game,” linebacker Darryl Gamble said. “I guess all the bordering states have some sort of rivalry [with Georgia]. It seems like we are just in the middle of everybody’s anger.”

Those who have been around longer can better appreciate the nuance of Georgia-Auburn.

“Oh yeah, sure it’s a rivalry,” Dooley said firmly. “Feuding cousins.”

— Staff writer Ken Sugiura contributed to this article from Auburn, Ala
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote