Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: The SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Wow...I was just gonna call them jort wearin' inbred rednecks and leave it at that...
Don't judge us by Florida.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #42
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Go play in the Dessert of Arizona in September.
LSU has done that twice this decade (at Zona and at ASU). We won both games. We've also traveled to Blacksburg (didn't work out so well but we got major payback in Death Valley last year). We have home and homes scheduled against Washington and Oklahoma in the next few years.

We also skulldragged Miami in the Peach Bowl, which is a little too far from Baton Rouge to be a home game.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #43
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Actually, the truth of that matter is that, slowly but surely, the SEC is starting to look "big picture" and getting over the insulting and insular view that "Our in conference schedule is enough". See: Auburn. No, it's not, not anymore.

The "problem" is that it will ultimately expose them as just the same as every other conference, in that they will have up and down years, and they will lose some ooc games, just like every other conference. You can't tell me that losing to Cal in September has any bearing at all on whether or not Tennessee is going to leave their guts on the field against Florida. In fact, an early ooc loss probably makes them play HARDER in conference because there's absolutely no room for error after one loss if you want to play for a NC (at least in most years). Fact is, what hurt Auburn when they missed out was partially fixed by tougher ooc scheduling by the SEC overall. A 2 loss LSU team made it into the big game last year because the SEC IS finally starting to play some big ooc games.

It actually strengthens the conference position overall, even if they take some losses.

OSU totally gets it...and the other 119 lesser programs will catch up to "The Program" sooner or later (Sorry, gotta get my digs in).
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #44
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

rev - what happened to auburn a few years ago likely would not happen agian regardless of the OCC. At least until OSU shows up in a bowl game. Unitl then fairly or unfailry they are beng judged by by their recent bowl perfromances and that cast a pretty ugly shadow over "the program".
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #45
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I still say a program that was clearly and widely recgnized as being in a "rebuilding year" making it to the big game was quite a feat. They just weren't as good as LSU last year...but I'm telling you, if Boeckman can get his act together, they are going to be almost impossible to beat this year. Hell, it's gonna be hard for most teams to even score on that defense, and they should be explosive on offense. If thye can get Pryor involved (ala Tebow 2 years ago), that's gonna make them just that much harder to stop.

And if you read what I wrote, I'm giving the SEC props. I lived in Florida for awhile, and I watched (and still watch) a lot of SEC ball. I have great respect for their brand of football, but I get irritated at the arrogance sometimes...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #46
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, South Carolina...

I'm Not Impressed

Alabama, mediocre, didn't they lose at home to Louisiana Monroe in 07?
Auburn, great on the road, lose at home in big games. South Florida
Florida, without a great defense, that offense doesn't win games. Michigan!
Georgia, choke artist number one.
Arkansas, run run run run run run. New coach should bring some passing but they are out classed in the SEC.
LSU. Lock up all the instate talent, and play good solid ball, but usually choke out a game, Arkansas and Kentucky both BEAT LSU last season. I'm Not Impressed. 8 Home games last year. plus the title game at Home.
Tennessee...have they won anything since Tee Martin went undefeated?

Grab your SACK and play some out of conference games against good teams DURING the regular season.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #47
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I will give you this:
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU are pretty much = OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU while Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, South Carolina pretty much = Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and Illinois

Both conferences have the cream at the top, some mid-tier teams that have flashes, and the perennial shit teams at the bottom.

One of the reasons that OSU is 0-9 against the SEC is that they NEVER play shit teams regular season. They've never schedule a Vandy or Ole Miss, and they most likely never will. They get who they draw in the bowl games, they are often times the underdog, and they are always playing a natural away game.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #48
atlsteelers
Starter

I would disagree on a few fronts - bowl games are neutral site games - calling them away games is a bit of stretch. I give you geographically they may be closer to a SEC school but tickets sales are spit 50/50 between schools. Its like saying UGA plays at Florida every year because we play at a neutral site in Florida (many UGA fans make this point all of time).
I will give you OSU and Michigan as the cream of the crop - whereas at any year Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennesee, Georgia and LSU could win a national title. Has Wisconsin ever played in BCS game? We played them in the Outback bowl one year (maybe 5 years ago) and we UGA where stomping them and they started a greenbay packers chant in the second half. Penn State has started winning more games lately but they have not played in a meaningful game at the national level in years. OSU can play in the SEC on weekly basis and in most years so could michigan. but unitl penn state or wisconsin wins a bcs bowl game you guys have a top heavy league.

Here is my break down

Ohio State is = to Florida and LSU
Michigan is = to Auburn, Tennesee, and Georgia
Penn State is = to Alabama (both schools have been rebuilding)
Wisconsin is = Arkansas (they both have usually have good but not great teams - although arkansas is probally the worst team in the SEC west this year)
Illinnois is = South Carolina - both are begining to build on talent

then you have a bunch medicore teams - although i think that Vandy is a much tougher oppenent than Northwester or Minnesota. They were really tough when Cuttler played for them.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #49
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Northwestern has had it's years. They almost beat USC in the Rose Bowl in 96. Randy Walker (RIP) was a Helluva coach and gave them some solid seasons. The Gophers have won 3-4 National Championships, but they were all like 50 years ago. They at least have some kind of history of winning.

Truth is, Northwestern and Indiana shouldn't be in the Big Ten (Indiana can stay for B-ball, NW needs to join the Ivy League). I still say drop those two schools and add ND.

The point is, especially if you take the long view, the conferences are not that different. If the Big10 had 12 teams, they'd have a CCG too.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #50
atlsteelers
Starter

If you all droped northwestern and indiana or just dropped northwestern and added two teams that are perennial top 20 teams it would help add some depth to the conference.