Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Because I can

Seeing the title of this thread made me reflect on an oldie but goodie . . . .

"Why does a dog lick . . . . . . "

Because it can!

Quite honestly, I don't pay one iota of attention to these talking heads before the season begins. More often than not, these media weenies end up with all over their faces at the end of the season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
It's not idiotic opinion, it's fact. If OL was more important than QB in determining a SB winner, we'd have at least 8, and very possibly 9 Lombardi Trophies right now instead of 5.
QBs without good lines don't have long and successful careers.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,235 Times in 2,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

As for the Steelers success vs the Browns, it's easy to have success vs the Browns when we have no defense (particularly a defensive line). If you can't stop the run (and we couldn't) and you can't stop the pass (we did better there, but not top 10) you won't beat quality opponents. You'll play inconsistently (as shown by one win last season vs opponents with a winning record).

i wasnt talking about the steelers owning the browns on the field of play, i was talking about them having them beat in all the statistical categories i mentionned.

Quote:
so really, if the browns line is so great, and the steelers line so poor (according to the #24 ranking you quote and assertion that o-line is the "most important position in the game") how do you explain the steelers beating the browns in most of these statistical categories?
i keep hearing how the browns have this great patriot like offense. if that is true, how come the steelers offense is better?

i keep hearing how the browns line is so good and the steelers line is in shambles. if that is true, how come the steelers have the better offense?

people wanna dismiss the steelers offense for 2 reasons- faneca's departure and number of sacks the line allowed. however they ignore all the upgrades and will be blindsided when our excellent offense is even better.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This is easy to throw out, because Derek Anderson won't be a top 10 QB (in fact, he probably won't be starting by late October...dude is a career backup who sold his soul to the devil for one PB year) and the Browns DL is completely unproven (and was probably #32 last year). The Steelers LB corp SHOULD be top 10 and those few things right there are enough to make this about as plausible as Bigfoot.
Again, I didn't make the rankings, nor do I necessarily agree with all of them. Some are close, some are likely to be spot on, others should be questioned.

How does a 6th round draft pick who's been in the league for 3 years automatically get labled as a career backup? Can he not be given a chance? He was in a new system last year that opponents figured out near the end of the season (i.e. don't bother covering the HB out of the backfield, because he won't check down.) He now has a full year in the offensive system. He's had a full year to gel with his teammates. He's had a full year with his QB coach. That should enable him to improve some. I'm not saying he'll get to the Pro Bowl again next year, but you've only seen one season of the guy.

Quote:
Besides, I'm certainly willing to concede "on paper" championships to the Browns. That's likely the only kind they are ever going to see. Perhaps you can make up some t-shirts...
I wonder how many Browns fans used to say that kind of stuff about the Steelers back in the 60's? Things change bro, things change.

Not sure where the relevance of the t-shirts fits in. But, it's whatever.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Seeing the title of this thread made me reflect on an oldie but goodie . . . .

"Why does a dog lick . . . . . . "

Because it can!

Quite honestly, I don't pay one iota of attention to these talking heads before the season begins. More often than not, these media weenies end up with all over their faces at the end of the season.
I got the line off of a web-comic site. The guy who does most of the work there occasionally adds to his blog and signs all of his stuff that way. It' s a bit raunchy, but it can be funny as hell.

If I had been able to sleep, I wouldn't have even written the thing. I wouldn't have bothered because I've yet to meet/read an "expert" who was anything better than a well paid guesser.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i wasnt talking about the steelers owning the browns on the field of play, i was talking about them having them beat in all the statistical categories i mentionned.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...-ratings/5956/

I don't care about baseline stats. Some teams (like the Patriots) will throw for more yards just because they can. That link above is what I use to tell me how teams are playing and where they stand. These guys look at every single play and analyze it. Brady throwing for 350 yards vs the Steelers is given more weight than Brady throwing for 350 yards vs the Browns, because the Steelers have a better defense.

They had the Browns finished as the 11th best offense and the Steelers at 12th.

The Steelers were the 2nd best defense (though they admit that they would likely have been the #1 defense if they hadn't rested their starters) The Browns were 22nd.

The Browns had the 2nd best ST unit while the Steelers were 21st.

By seasons end, the Browns were playing like the 13th best team in the league and the Steelers were playing like the 8th best team.

These numbers take into account the Strength of Schedule and everything. It doesn't necessarily mean that the Browns were a better team than the NY Giants (#16). Like all things in life, the formulas and variables are not perfect, but I've found that by using their metrics for football pick'ems and such, I'm able to get far more games right now.

If you wanted to know what their numbers were going to say about the Jaguars Steelers game, look at the chart.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
QBs without good lines don't have long and successful careers.
Elway was sacked a record 516 times and lasted 16 seasons. His OL later in his career was excellent, but he got clobbered more than anyone earlier on. He took the Broncos to 3 SBs in the '80s singlehandedly despite the fact that his line wasn't very good and he had no running game. I know those knuckle-dragging slobbering Pats* homers at CHFF consider the losses in those SBs to be a black mark against him, but the Broncos wouldn't have sniffed those SBs in the first place if not for him.

Excerpt from a SI article on Elway from 12/30/1996:

Quote:
Punch REWIND on your time machine and put Elway behind all of Joe Montana's lines in San Francisco and Montana behind all of Elway's lines in Denver. Nothing much changes in San Francisco, but by the age of 28 Montana is either dead or selling life insurance.
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9290/index.htm

Truer words have never been spoken.

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
CB1977
Starter

Member Number: 6651

Holy crap people...he just posted this as a read. If you don't agree with it, don't lash out at him. He didn't write it...just wanted to post it. No harm done, right?
CB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Elway was sacked a record 516 times and lasted 16 seasons. His OL later in his career was excellent, but he got clobbered more than anyone earlier on. He took the Broncos to 3 SBs in the '80s singlehandedly despite the fact that his line wasn't very good and he had no running game. I know those knuckle-dragging slobbering Pats* homers at CHFF consider the losses in those SBs to be a black mark against him, but the Broncos wouldn't have sniffed those SBs in the first place if not for him.

Excerpt from a SI article on Elway from 12/30/1996:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9290/index.htm

Truer words have never been spoken.
So Keith Bishop (a Pro Bowl LG) was terrible? What about the fact that from 85-89 they had 7 other players (outside of Bishop and Elway) named to the Prowbowl or called All-Pros?

In fact, in 1986 (the year of "The Drive"), they had some HB named Winder who was good enough for a Pro Bowl bid. I could be wrong, I was just getting into football then, but the name does ring a bell.

But you're right, it was all Elway. He didn't even need a team, he played O, D and ST. I think in 86 alone they had like 4 or 5 guys go to the Pro Bowl, but it was really John Elway in a different jersey.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #20
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1977 View Post
Holy crap people...he just posted this as a read. If you don't agree with it, don't lash out at him. He didn't write it...just wanted to post it. No harm done, right?
But I'm a Browns fan, so they have to refute nearly everything I say/do.