Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: If both were free agents...

Hester. He instantly evens out special teams no matter how bad everyone else sucks, which is huge for us.

Also, the hell with Cribbs as a triple threat/Slash player. We've already got Dixon for that if we choose to use him that way, and at maybe a third of the price.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Wow, there is some serious Hester love going on! LOL

Couple of points, Hester hasn't really found his niche on offense or defense yet. He's been a part of a few gadget plays (a role which the Browns intend to use Cribbs in this season) but not much else. The Bears are trying to get him more involved in the offense, but that may impact his return game.

Dixon may or may not be good in a slash role. Right now, the gig is still out on him.

Cribbs just started returning punts last season. While Hester is a bigger flash in the pan, Cribbs is a steadier returner. His numbers would look better if the Browns would quit with the illegal blocks and holding calls on returns. lol

Cribbs has proven how tough he is by leading the Browns in ST tackles the last two seasons.

I don't expect to change anyones minds that have already posted, but it is stuff that you may not have considered.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

Cribbs just started returning punts last season. While Hester is a bigger flash in the pan, Cribbs is a steadier returner. His numbers would look better if the Browns would quit with the illegal blocks and holding calls on returns. lol

Hmmmm, maybe that is why he is able to get those great returns!

Hester is the choice, but I would like to have either.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I would take Hester...he's a better returner and I think he has more upside as an offensive player.
Hester has very little upside as an offensive player...It is well known here near Chicago that he is not near smart enough to handle a playbook...The Bears can only play him sparingly as a reciever because he doesnt have the capacity to understand much beyond......"Catch the ball....now run"

That takes nothing away from his return ability...just wanted to clarify why the Bears utilize him the way they do.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I think I'd give Willie Reid another chance.

stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Hester has very little upside as an offensive player...It is well known here near Chicago that he is not near smart enough to handle a playbook...The Bears can only play him sparingly as a reciever because he doesnt have the capacity to understand much beyond......"Catch the ball....now run"

That takes nothing away from his return ability...just wanted to clarify why the Bears utilize him the way they do.
I acknowledge that Hester's never going to be a #1 or #2 receiver, but I still think he has more upside than Josh Cribbs at that position. In his first year since switching from cornerback to wide receiver he had 299 yards and a couple of TD's. Not too shabby for a guy who's primarily a kick returner. He'll probably always be just a situational receiver, but even then, if he just gets a few screens or hitch/streak routes he's going to make some plays. Josh Cribbs, on the other hand, has produced just 135 yards and no TD's in 3 years of play at WR.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #17
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

Couple of points, Hester hasn't really found his niche on offense or defense yet. He's been a part of a few gadget plays (a role which the Browns intend to use Cribbs in this season) but not much else. The Bears are trying to get him more involved in the offense, but that may impact his return game.

Dixon may or may not be good in a slash role. Right now, the gig is still out on him.

Cribbs has proven how tough he is by leading the Browns in ST tackles the last two seasons.
this is exactly why I like cribbs better.

btw, dixon's a QB until stated otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I think I'd give Willie Reid another chance.

where's colclough when we need him
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #18
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I acknowledge that Hester's never going to be a #1 or #2 receiver, but I still think he has more upside than Josh Cribbs at that position. In his first year since switching from cornerback to wide receiver he had 299 yards and a couple of TD's. Not too shabby for a guy who's primarily a kick returner. He'll probably always be just a situational receiver....,
Exactly...perhaps in a few years he can actually develope into more.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #19
9-5
Banned

Member Number: 8674

Cribbs. Hester is a long way off from being a real every down receiver on a team with no real good receivers. Plus, he is a corner back who doesn't cover kicks. Cribbs, a college QB, does. And besides, Hester went to DA U, where classwork isn't required for football players

Devin Hester Teacher
9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I'd take Cribbs.

Cribbs plays on all four ST units. He receivs kickoffs and punts, and he covers when the Browns kickoff and punt. He lead the Browsn in special teams tackles last season. He would willingly play any position on the field if asked to. He's listed as a wideout, but is developing. I heard that he'll be used a bit more as a WR this year.

Hester was drafted as a cornerback but can't cover a #5 wideout worth a darn. He isnt on the coverage team when his team kicks off or punts. He's an okay wideout, but will probally be nothing special. He's not very smart either, so I would expect him to have a big role in the offense. Basicly, other than kickoff and punt returns, he's worthless.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote