Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Farrior wants to re-sign

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_578349.html

Quote:
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 19, 2008

Starting inside linebacker James Farrior, 33, wants to finish his NFL career with the Steelers -- even if it means he has a reduced role in the years to come.
"They're always going to have somebody try and replace you," said Farrior, who has led the team in tackles in four of the previous five seasons. "That's always in the back of your mind."

Farrior, who has missed just eight games in 11 years, has been with the Steelers since 2002, when he was signed away from the Jets as a free agent to replace Earl Holmes.

The team's oldest starter, Farrior is entering the final year of a $16.4 million contract extension he signed in 2004. And while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.

"I love the team," Farrior said recently while training with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. "I love the organization. I feel like this is a good home for me, and I'd love to stay. But we all know how the business goes. We've had a lot of great players come through the system that had to leave. That's part of the game. That's what you've got to realize."
Negotiations have been slow, according to Farrior, who said he probably wouldn't return to the Steelers without an extension before the start of the season.

"I don't think either party has really sat at the table and talked about too much, but we'll get things started," Farrior said. "I just want to get a feel for what they see as the future."

The Steelers do not comment on negotiations, but Farrior's agent, Ralph Cindrich, said there have been some talks.

"There is some communication," he said. "There is an interest in talking. They (Steelers) have not said definitely one way or the other if they will do it."

Shaw said Farrior told him he wants to play another four years.

"I feel like I'm going to let my body determine how long I play," Farrior said. "I still have a passion for the game. I want to be here. I want to sign. Hopefully, they feel the same. Hopefully, I'm playing good enough to where they can keep me around."

Added Cindrich: "His first four or five years, he wasn't utilized with the Jets. He didn't take a beating. It's like a boxer. Not how many years, but how many (punches) you take."

Training with Farrior at Disney's Wide World of Sports, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor pleaded with management to re-sign his teammate.

"Mr. (Dan) Rooney, you've got to keep Potsie," Taylor said, using Farrior's nickname. "Coach T (Mike Tomlin), you've got to keep Potsie. Coach (Dick) Lebeau, you've got to keep Potsie."

Farrior's situation is different from that of linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca, popular stars from the Super Bowl XL championship team whom the Steelers chose not to re-sign.

Unlike Porter and Faneca, who signed a record contract for guards with the Jets, Farrior said he isn't trying to break the bank with his next deal.

A starter with the Steelers since 2002, Farrior said he would share playing time with younger players such as Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick in 2007.

"The young guys are going to help our defense tremendously," Farrior said. "I look forward to working with them, no matter what capacity."

Farrior not only led the team with 111 tackles last season, but he also had six sacks and six passes defensed.

Asked how he would feel about not being an every-down linebacker, Farrior replied: "I don't really like to come off the field, but you never know. It might be something (where) those guys can give me a spell. If I have to come out, and the coaches want other players in there, that's what we'll do."

Farrior appeared in his only Pro Bowl following the 2004 season, when the Steelers finished 15-1 and missed the Super Bowl by one game. That year, he recorded 119 tackles, three sacks and four interceptions, and he defensed eight passes while finishing second to Baltimore's Ed Reed for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Farrior could have made a case for more Pro Bowls. He had 154 tackles in 2006, 127 stops in 2003 and a career-high 175 in 2001, when he was with the Jets.

"James Farrior made it to only one Pro Bowl because he's not a big mouth," Shaw said. "It's a shame that in order for him to get attention, he has to draw away from his team to put it on himself. James is never going to do that."

Farrior said the lack of Pro Bowl attention does not bother him.

"I'm used to it by now," he said. "There are a lot of great linebackers, especially in the AFC. Every year you're going to have to do well just to get your name mentioned. The guys I play with, they know the type of player I am. I think I have that respect from those guy. That's what's important."
Lets hope that his desire, passion and commitment to team translates to a reasonable contract for both parties, that will allow him to stay in black & gold.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Farrior wants to re-sign

Quote:
Starting inside linebacker James Farrior, 33, wants to finish his NFL career with the Steelers -- even if it means he has a reduced role in the years to come....while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.
I don't foresee a problem resigning Farrior, if he's willing to sign an extension that actually reflects his more-than-likely reduced role. The reason the Steelers have such a "bad track record" in resigning over-30 veterans is that the vast majority of them want to be overpaid based on past performance, and thankfully that's not the way the Steelers' FO rolls.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
And while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.

"I love the team
," Farrior said recently while training with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. "I love the organization. I feel like this is a good home for me, and I'd love to stay. But we all know how the business goes. We've had a lot of great players come through the system that had to leave. That's part of the game. That's what you've got to realize."
Hopefully it doesn't end like haggans who said almost the same things last year. he is way more valuable, so there should be no problem

Quote:
"James Farrior made it to only one Pro Bowl because he's not a big mouth," Shaw said. "It's a shame that in order for him to get attention, he has to draw away from his team to put it on himself. James is never going to do that."
so true

James teaching the young guys is also a positive. he needs to be back
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't foresee a problem resigning Farrior, if he's willing to sign an extension that actually reflects his more-than-likely reduced role.
If he signs a big contract somewhere else then that team will want to get blood out of that stone. By accepting a smaller role with the steelers realistically he could play another 3 years with the steelers and ultimately earn more money.

I dont know much about Farrior but his leadership skills and knowledge of LeBeau's defence could also translate into a coaching role down the line (eg Darren Perry).

I also think that by starting with the Jets and then coming to the Steelers Im guessing he can appreciate the differences that occur between organisations. Why change if you like and appreciate where you are. ( Better the devil you know)

Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 07-19-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Farrior has been one of my favorite players on the team ever since we got him. I'd so love for the Steelers to sign him for an extension, but like him, I see history as being a pretty good indicator of what will happen. I've liked a lot of defensive players who have been allowed to go once they are past 30. :(
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I have a feeling that he'll be back. He sounds like he's not too worried about the big cash deal, and I'm sure those looming Super Bowl rings are in the back of his mind too. I'd have to say if we didn't at least make it to a SB within 4 years, we've got something wrong.

Players make extra money during the playoffs, right? So, if we went to and won a Super Bowl, I think it might even itself out in the end.

But, we'll see.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i'd love to see him stay.. he has always been nice to the fans from what i saw when at training camp. he may end up being one of the most underrated steelers players of all time after he is done here. he had 141 tackles in 2003, he came in second for the defensive player of the year in 2004, was a leader on the super bowl winning team in 2005, and has arguably been the most consistent and productive linebacker since then. he just knows how to play linebacker.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

The more the Farrior the merrier ... atleast as far as ILB's go on our team. Boy I sure hope he takes a reduced role contract, he could be the Donnie Edwards of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Donnie played for like four years past his prime in SD, and even did good last year in KC.

Farrior's workout ethic and game smarts can easily make him a very solid starter for another 3-5.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing him resign with the team he should be good for another 3 years and could teach the young ones coming in and would add depth at the position.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

He has his head on straight and he knows what he is doing out there. A person like that who is willing to work for less so that he can hang it up as a Steeler is the kind of guy you want to keep. He sounds like future coaching material some where.