Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Biggest Steeler Offensive Decline?

I'll pick Willie to have a big decline this year.

Quote:
Which Steelers offensive player will most likely see a decline in 2008?

By James Pete | July 17th, 2008

It’s obvious most Steelers fans believe that Mike Tomlin is a good coach, or has the traits of a good coach. Nearly 1,200 Steel Tradition readers voted that yes, Tomlin was a good coach, while less than 200 said that no, he wasn’t. I’d say that 87% is a clear majority. Alright Tomlin, you have your mandate, no do something with it.

Today, we are going to look at the Steelers that are most likely to see a decline in their play this season. There are many factors involved in what could happen, including age, teammates, desire, and playing time. Could it be Big Ben, who may see his numbers decline because of a better run game, or a weaker offensive line? Could it be Willie Parker, who may split carried with Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore. Will it be Hines Ward, who’s just getting older and more injury prone? Is it Santonio Holmes, who has to fight a resurging Ward, and the new Sweed? Did Heath Miller have a stepping stone to greatness, or will Matt Spaeth take a chunk of catches?

Who is facing a down year in 2008?
http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...cline-in-2008/

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148
Default Re: Biggest Steeler Offensive Decline?

Personally I don't think anyone is going to "decline" so to speak. But I do believe that Hines and Willies numbers will drop do to the rooks coming in.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I'm with GBMB on this one. Willie Parker is a fine man. But I think he has peaked. I ABSOLUTELY hope I'm wrong; after all, I'm just some poor slob with a keyboard and an internet connection. However, he isn't a multidimensional threat; he isn't a TD threat in short yardage from either inside OR outside, he isn't much of a threat as a receiver, he is a below average pass blocker/swing back, and he doesn't do a lot to sustain drives.

What he does EXCEPTIONALLY well is give you huge chunks of yardage several times a game. But, you need to give him 25 carries to get that, so the rest of your game suffers as a result.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Marvel Smith. God hope I'm wrong.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I think your DE's see more of a decline. They aren' t getting younger and there is no depth behind them that can provide decent relief. With the schedule you guys face, it will be harder to pull them out in critical situations.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
I think your DE's see more of a decline. They aren' t getting younger and there is no depth behind them that can provide decent relief. With the schedule you guys face, it will be harder to pull them out in critical situations.
offensive!

and why should our DE's have a tough time, they have proven year in and year out they can get the job done, a harder schedule is no reason for that to change.

I'd worry about your DE's though
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
offensive!

and why should our DE's have a tough time, they have proven year in and year out they can get the job done, a harder schedule is no reason for that to change.

I'd worry about your DE's though

Sorry, should have added that your DE's are likely to see more of a decline than anyone on your offense. Your lack of depth last year is something that hurt you last year (this is information from Steelers fans on this site, not just me.)

The reason why your DE's could have a tough time is the lack of depth and a few injuries last year. They're now one year older and will have just a little harder time overcoming any kind of injury they might face. Considering they're 3-4 DEs, they're subject to greater punishment than your standard DE would from a 4-3 defense.

The schedule you'll face this year is chock filled with better offensive lines. Some you've faced last year, but not near as many like what you'll see this year.

I am concerned with my D-line as a whole. They've proven nothing towards this season and they will be crucial the Browns organization if we have any hope of a turnaround. I'm well aware of how important the lines are to consistent success. We haven't really had either til last season. Now we have real hope, because we did see real results.

The thing is, we need to have a repeat performance from our O-line and steady improvement from our D-line in order to really turn this program around.

***********EDIT ADDITION**********
Until your O-line proves it's improved over last year, I'd say it's FWP who's the most likely offensive candidate to "decline." Assuming Mendenhall is as good as advertised, he'll take a lot of his playing time (particularly inside the redzone, 3rd downs and short yardage situations.)
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would have to say parker he is coming off of that injury and with the addition of Mendenhall and Moore I would say he is going to start seeing fewer carries and less yard then what he has been seeing in the past.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Am I the only one who thinks willie is going to actually be better this season?

sure, it's hard, but we're talking about Willie parker here, the undrafted free agent that kept fighting his way into the league and is now one of the top backs.

he is always fighting for a roster spot, his words, and he never gives up. now he is coming from his 1st mayor injury, which isn't really that mayor. the guy is gonna want to prove something, more than ever in his life

how will he do it? yeah, the steelers drafted mendenhall, beware willie!! but imo this will actually help willie. he was way over worked last season, now with rashard helping on some carries willie will be fresh throughout the game

his YPC last season was nothing special, primarily because of so many carries. now his got some actual help and will contribute even more to the offense

I'm not saying he will be competing for the rushing title again( but who knows, it's willie) but his offensive contribution will actually increase, yards and tds aside
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote