Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Such a sad Story

Soldier in famous photo never defeated 'demons'

Quote:
PINEHURST, N.C. - Officers had been to the white ranch house at 560 W. Longleaf many times before over the past year to respond to a "barricade situation." Each had ended uneventfully, with Joseph Dwyer coming out or telling police in a calm voice through the window that he was OK.

ADVERTISEMENT

But this time was different.

The Iraq War veteran had called a taxi service to take him to the emergency room. But when the driver arrived, Dwyer shouted that he was too weak to get up and open the door.

The officers asked Dwyer for permission to kick it in.

"Go ahead!" he yelled.

They found Dwyer lying on his back, his clothes soiled with urine and feces. Scattered on the floor around him were dozens of spent cans of Dust-Off, a refrigerant-based aerosol normally used to clean electrical equipment.

Dwyer told police Lt. Mike Wilson he'd been "huffing" the aerosol.

"Help me, please!" the former Army medic begged Wilson. "I'm dying. Help me. I can't breathe."

Unable to stand or even sit up, Dwyer was hoisted onto a stretcher. As paramedics prepared to load him into an ambulance, an officer noticed Dwyer's eyes had glassed over and were fixed.

A half hour later, he was dead.
Story continues in link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/military_the_enemy_within

Sad somehow doesn't seem like a strong enough word, but I think it is the most appropriate.

Rest in Peace PFC Dwyer

Here is the photo:

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-20-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Linked photo for poster.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Such a sad Story

War is hell. Though appearing unscathed, many have emotional scars that never heal. God bless are soldiers.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

This story strikes a nerve for me. I have been diagnosed by the VA with PTSD. The article is right, the VA and federal government do as little as possible to help vets. Fortunately for me I found a gentleman that did work voluntarily outside the VA program. He is the reason I'm still married and able to overcome and cope with my PTSD. My wife was at the end of her rope. During the day I was always "on edge" and ready blow a gasket for stupid shit. I never struck my wife and kids but I was always yelling. Night was a different story. I had and still occasionally have "night terrors". I act out in my sleep the combat and scenarios that I went through while I was at war. I have no knowlege of these the next day. It is a very helpless feeling not being in control like that. Thankfully I haven't had one in about 2 months and the ones I have now are much less intense. Sadly I , and every other soldier with PTSD have to live with this sickness. There is no cure, only the daily struggle to keep it from overwhelming your life. Every person with PTSD is effected differently, and everyone has thier own way of coping with it. I have developed a number of ways to focus my mind. This may sound stupid and hard to believe, but Steeler football has been a comfort to me since I returned home. My best friend and I were both over there and we both returned home the same time. We have essentually "given ourselves" to football. It is wonderful therapy.

I hope I haven't come across like I'm trying to take away from this story. I truely feel for this man and his family and I am saddened that his life was cut short by a disease that most people can't understand. May he rest in peace.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

HoG, as a current Soldier, I would like to thank you for your service! This country exists because of people like you and the subject in the article.

Unfortunately, PTSD is the hardest to diagnose and treat of all the "disabilities" that servicemembers come home with. I am glad that you were able to find some help. I know that my unit has a few people who were mobilized with the purpose of helping out Soldiers who came home for various medical reasons. One of them was the 1SGT and she still stays in touch with many of her "patients."

Unfortunately, she's one of the few. God wililng, I won't have ever have to experience anything that changes me in such a manner.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
HoG, as a current Soldier, I would like to thank you for your service! This country exists because of people like you and the subject in the article.

Unfortunately, PTSD is the hardest to diagnose and treat of all the "disabilities" that servicemembers come home with. I am glad that you were able to find some help. I know that my unit has a few people who were mobilized with the purpose of helping out Soldiers who came home for various medical reasons. One of them was the 1SGT and she still stays in touch with many of her "patients."

Unfortunately, she's one of the few. God wililng, I won't have ever have to experience anything that changes me in such a manner.
Thanks, How am I supposed to hate you now? LOL I take back my troll remarks in another thread. But boy you can really work a fella up!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
Thanks, How am I supposed to hate you now? LOL I take back my troll remarks in another thread. But boy you can really work a fella up!
At the end of the day, we're both still Soldiers!

You can hate the Browns fan in me all day long if you feel the need!
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
At the end of the day, we're both still Soldiers!

You can hate the Browns fan in me all day long if you feel the need!
If he doesn't want to, I'll hate the browns fan in you twice as much...

but I'll never turn my back on any soldier - past or present - regardless of the team's colors they wear on game day - because underneath it all they are Red, White, and Blue!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

What a sad and very tragic end to such a young life. You're finally home in heaven. RIP PFC Dwyer.

It pisses me off to no end that our government does not properly take care of our soldiers and our Vets, yet sends billions of dollars in aid overseas every year. Our government should be ashamed. Damn it - take care of your own FIRST!!!!

To Hammer, xflfan and every other soldier and Vet who has so unselfishly and proudly served this great country, you have my most sincere thanks and deepest respect, appreciation and gratitude. May God bless you and America!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
What a sad and very tragic end to such a young life. You're finally home in heaven. RIP PFC Dwyer.

It pisses me off to no end that our government does not properly take care of our soldiers and our Vets, yet sends billions of dollars in aid overseas every year. Our government should be ashamed. Damn it - take care of your own FIRST!!!!

To Hammer, xflfan and every other soldier and Vet who has so unselfishly and proudly served this great country, you have my most sincere thanks and deepest respect, appreciation and gratitude. May God bless you and America!
Absolutely.

Soldiers deserve all the respect in the world... and have mine. I still say they deserve to live tax free in this nation. Free from fed, state and local tax. Free from property tax. You fight for this country, we SHOULD give you something back.

Of course, a START would be taking care of the physical needs.... VA just doesn't do it.

What is fascinating, is how PTSD has cropped up so dramatically from vietnam and this war. I could be wrong, but I hear about it as much from the first Iraq war, nor from Korea or WWII.

I wonder if it is the type of fighting... always having to watch your back, etc. that does it.

In those other wars, there were some clearly defined lines. Not here.

Just a thought. May God bless our soldiers....
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

"No man outlives the grief of war though he outlives its wreck; Upon the memory a scar through all his years will ache."
-- William Souter, 'The Permanence of Young Men' (1940)