Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
xfl2001fan
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 3,641
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How many Zeroes in a Billion?

How many zeros in a billion?

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.


A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu&nb sp;(D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D. C < HELLO! >

Are all your calculators broken??

Accounts Receivable Tax Building Permit Tax CDL License Tax Cigarette Tax Corporate Income Tax Dog License Tax Federal Income Tax Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) Fishing License Tax Food License Tax Fuel Permit Tax Gasoline Tax Hunting License Tax Inheritance Tax Inventory Tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax), IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax), Liquor Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage License Tax, Medicare Tax, Property Tax, Real Estate Tax, Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax (Truckers), Sales Taxes, Recreational Vehicle Tax, School Tax, State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA), Telephone Federal Excise Tax, Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax, Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax, Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax, Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax, Telephone State and Local Tax, Telephone Usage Charge Tax, Utility Tax, Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Watercraft Registration Tax, Well Permit Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?

Can you spell 'politicians! '

And I still have to 'press 1' for English.

***************Yeah, it was a chain letter, which I normally ignore by default, but it does present an interesting argument.********************
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,140
Member Number: 547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
How many zeros in a billion?

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.


A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu&nb sp;(D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D. C < HELLO! >

Are all your calculators broken??

Accounts Receivable Tax Building Permit Tax CDL License Tax Cigarette Tax Corporate Income Tax Dog License Tax Federal Income Tax Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) Fishing License Tax Food License Tax Fuel Permit Tax Gasoline Tax Hunting License Tax Inheritance Tax Inventory Tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax), IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax), Liquor Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage License Tax, Medicare Tax, Property Tax, Real Estate Tax, Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax (Truckers), Sales Taxes, Recreational Vehicle Tax, School Tax, State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA), Telephone Federal Excise Tax, Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax, Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax, Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax, Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax, Telephone State and Local Tax, Telephone Usage Charge Tax, Utility Tax, Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Watercraft Registration Tax, Well Permit Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?

Can you spell 'politicians! '

And I still have to 'press 1' for English.

***************Yeah, it was a chain letter, which I normally ignore by default, but it does present an interesting argument.********************
Not really an intersting argument--it has several false premises. First, NOLA is not the only place affected by Katrina. That package was intended for the entire disaster zone, which had roughly 3 million residents and was the geographical size of Minnesota. Second, it omitted the fact that Republican Senator David Vitter was also pushing the package (I'm sure it was an honest oversight...yeah right).

The $250B is too high for what the region needed, but there was a massive amount of damage to public infrastructure throughout the region, and the number includes restoration of the wetlands (which used to take the bullet for the populated areas and which were destroyed by idiotic federal policies).

As far as the tax argument, I hate taxes but 100 years ago we were not doing anywhere near as well as the chain letter claims. We weren't a serious player on the world stage, we did not have a large middle class, people worked in dangerous conditions for starvation wages, large segments of our population had little or no freedom...seriously, does ANYONE want to trade their current life for what life was like 100 years ago?
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Hmmmmmmmm....it's like Houdini.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
xfl2001fan
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 3,641
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Not really an intersting argument--it has several false premises. First, NOLA is not the only place affected by Katrina. That package was intended for the entire disaster zone, which had roughly 3 million residents and was the geographical size of Minnesota. Second, it omitted the fact that Republican Senator David Vitter was also pushing the package (I'm sure it was an honest oversight...yeah right).

The $250B is too high for what the region needed, but there was a massive amount of damage to public infrastructure throughout the region, and the number includes restoration of the wetlands (which used to take the bullet for the populated areas and which were destroyed by idiotic federal policies).

As far as the tax argument, I hate taxes but 100 years ago we were not doing anywhere near as well as the chain letter claims. We weren't a serious player on the world stage, we did not have a large middle class, people worked in dangerous conditions for starvation wages, large segments of our population had little or no freedom...seriously, does ANYONE want to trade their current life for what life was like 100 years ago?
I don't disagree with any of it. The biggest thing (for me) was how easy it is (now) to throw that word Billion around. Then again, with the way gas prices have been rising, I guess it really does show that you can get used to just about anything when you have no option.

I'm also looking at it as a "value of the dollar". It's dropped significantly. It worries me, I've got a long life ahead of me and I've not seen much in the past decade to give me a lot of hope. I made a few financial mistakes early on that killed my credit which makes it even harder.

Seeing a lot of the fraud, waste and misuse of our funds by government agencies doesn't make it any easier. Makes me wish I didn't have to pay all of those taxes so that I could just put my money towards (what I feel are) better causes.

I'm sure if we dug enough, we could find a larger list of names than the Rep. Senator that you named as well as the person named in the chain letter that would be guilty of pushing the package. I'd seen several other "political names" attached to the whole FEMA issue, which (to me) seemed to be a huge joke.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 13,858
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,441
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,620 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

oh...I thought this was about how many zero's the browns came up with wins against the Steelers in the last few years.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

And a billion seasons ago, the Browns won a championship.

That is pretty interesting, xfl. Thanks for posting it!

Quote:
And I still have to 'press 1' for English.
When using my ATM card at my bank, a screen pops up asking which language you prefer and English is 4th on the list!!! I fixed their hineys though. I called a branch across town and started complaining in French. Guess what? They hung up on me.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
xfl2001fan
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 3,641
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
And a billion seasons ago, the Browns won a championship.
I used to like you!
Quote:
When using my ATM card at my bank, a screen pops up asking which language you prefer and English is 4th on the list!!! I fixed their hineys though. I called a branch across town and started complaining in French. Guess what? They hung up on me.
I like you again!
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
I used to like you!


I like you again!
LOL!

This is the United States of America, not the United Arab Emirates.

No speaka da English? Get the fukka out.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,140
Member Number: 547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How many Zeroes in a Billion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
I don't disagree with any of it. The biggest thing (for me) was how easy it is (now) to throw that word Billion around. Then again, with the way gas prices have been rising, I guess it really does show that you can get used to just about anything when you have no option.

I'm also looking at it as a "value of the dollar". It's dropped significantly. It worries me, I've got a long life ahead of me and I've not seen much in the past decade to give me a lot of hope. I made a few financial mistakes early on that killed my credit which makes it even harder.

Seeing a lot of the fraud, waste and misuse of our funds by government agencies doesn't make it any easier. Makes me wish I didn't have to pay all of those taxes so that I could just put my money towards (what I feel are) better causes.

I'm sure if we dug enough, we could find a larger list of names than the Rep. Senator that you named as well as the person named in the chain letter that would be guilty of pushing the package. I'd seen several other "political names" attached to the whole FEMA issue, which (to me) seemed to be a huge joke.
Tubes Stevens and Sheets Byrd are the worst offenders. Remember that bridge to nowhere in Alaska a few years ago??

I'd like to see a system where individual taxpayers get a line-item veto. You only have to fund the programs you agree with--and you can take a tax deduction for the others.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts