Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Default Think on it!!!

I still would like to qualify our offensive lineman to be known as the mach-5. They have not yet been givin the chance to prove themselves,and i think have been unfairly judged already.A lot has to do with ,are you going to run,or pass the ball..If you chooose to run the ball,and you lose,where does that fall on the offensive line?What are your offensive lineman built up to be?Pass-blockers,or run blockers? Choose your poison. When they actually change the play calling,then i would have a basis of coming down on our offensive line.Until that point,i would say our line is set to make people wonder.I like that approach!!!
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Think on it!!!

i agree with you to a point. but when you have jerome bettis, dan kreider, jerame tuman, and mark bruener on the field as part of that running game, its like having 9 o-linemen on the field. so the 5 actual linemen are only half the story.

our line and philosophy was kinda built around a power back (jerome) plus a mobile, scrambling option qb (kordell) with plenty of gadget plays sprinkled in.

now we have a pure pocket passer (who is definitely mobile and can scramble) and a speedy, shifty, smallish back.

our offensive philosophy is definitely changing and we are in a transition period. its only natural we give up on the 60-40 run/ pass ratio and go to 50-50.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i agree with you to a point. but when you have jerome bettis, dan kreider, jerame tuman, and mark bruener on the field as part of that running game, its like having 9 o-linemen on the field. so the 5 actual linemen are only half the story.

our line and philosophy was kinda built around a power back (jerome) plus a mobile, scrambling option qb (kordell) with plenty of gadget plays sprinkled in.

now we have a pure pocket passer (who is definitely mobile and can scramble) and a speedy, shifty, smallish back.

our offensive philosophy is definitely changing and we are in a transition period. its only natural we give up on the 60-40 run/ pass ratio and go to 50-50.
couple in the fact that our o-lineman are geared for the run and not the pass,what do ya get. run............run.........run....pass
Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I really think you can find linemen that can both run block and pass protect. If we have to spend next years draft finding them, so be it.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I really think you can find linemen that can both run block and pass protect. If we have to spend next years draft finding them, so be it.
But when you can run the ball at will,the passing is a well deserved luxury!!! and easier on the lineman then,and good for 3rd and short situations.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I don't think that the passing game is a luxury anymore. I think you need to run and throw the ball. True you will always be better at one than the other but to say " lets just dwell on the running game and the passing game will take care of itself " just will not work anymore. The Steelers best years, I think, were when they were almost as good throwing the ball as running it.

I don't think its an either, or situation. I really do think that you can find linemen that can do both jobs. The Steelers have built that type on line in the past and can do it again. No I am not as down on our line as some are. I think that some of last years sacks do belong to Ben and so will some of this years sack, he is just the type of QB that is willing to chance a sack to make a big play. I think some of our line was playing out of position, at least out of their best position. I am bothered by the short term linemen, the guys that look like they may be gone soon, we need players ready to take their places. If we take players that can run block but look like street cops directing traffic on passing downs, we will be in trouble.

That is why I want them to take an O-lineman early this year, and a D-lineman for that matter. The line is where the play starts. If they mess things up there I don't care how good your RB, QB, or WRs are, the play has little chance of working, and in my opinion they should be able to run block, and pass protect to play on this team.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
jimmythebaker
Water Boy

Member Number: 8345

I agree with all the posts in part. Everyone could have played better but I think the coaching needs the bulk of the blame for those sacks. BA showed no originality at all in the play calling. Quick dumps? It was FWP between the tackles. ST wasn't any better. If you don't get some better coaching and play calling I don't care who you draft it is going to be a waste. The talent is there. It's just not getting a chance.
jimmythebaker is offline   Reply With Quote