Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

The Green Bay Packers have spoken to multiple teams to see what they would be willing to offer for Favre.

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images
Brett Favre's status for 2008 remains unclear.

Related:
Favre retirement timeline
Prez has 'full confidence' in GM
Vikings decline comment
Packers file tampering charges
Favre tempted to report to camp
Favre breaks silence
Packers won't release Favre

It is unknown exactly how many teams the Packers have spoken with, but what is known is that they have not relegated their exploratory calls strictly to AFC teams. Green Bay has called multiple teams in the NFC as well. The Packers declined comment.

One NFL executive speculated that the Packers simply are doing their dillegence and fielding any of the potential offers before deciding whether it would be worth trading Favre, who does want to play in 2008.

This hardly means the Packers will wind up dealing Favre. But at least they are debating the merits of it, reaching out to teams to inquire what Favre would bring in return.

By contacting other teams and fielding any potential offers, the Packers then can make a more informed decision about whether or not it is worth trading Favre.

Though it could happen, it still is hard to envision -– the Packers trading Favre.

Yet if Favre opted to play, and if the Packers were willing to trade him -– and those are two big ifs -- the NFC team that would make the most sense is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden is fascinated with quarterbacks and never has enough of them. During his time in Tampa, he also never has had the chance to work with a quarterback like Favre.

In fact, Favre would have to be willing to report to any team that strikes a deal with Green Bay; thus, Favre’s willingness to play for another team must be factored into any potential trade, and the quarterback’s overwhelming preference is to continue playing in Green Bay, not anywhere else.

Still, the Packers have not welcomed back Favre and have told him that he would be a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Before that would happen, Favre first must decide whether he is willing to play this season, even though he clearly wants to. If he does, he would have to send the NFL and the Packers a letter asking to be reinstated. Favre has not made any decisions about if or when to send such a letter.

But there now is another intriguing storyline to go along with any letter. With Jason Taylor in Washington, Jeremy Shockey in New York and big trades sweeping the NFL, the Packers are exploring the possibility of making the biggest of them all.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-23-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added link to article.
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480
Default Favre Trade Likely Within 48 Hours

Favre trade likely within next 48 hours
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3500610

Admin: I thought this merited a new thread because the old one deals with his "return." Sorry if I messed up!!

Otherwise the local monkees were talking about him going to the Bucs....
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

I don't see where in the first article that Goodell is even quoted on the situation.

Is this it?

Quote:
One NFL executive speculated that the Packers simply are doing their dillegence and fielding any of the potential offers before deciding whether it would be worth trading Favre, who does want to play in 2008.
If so, I fail to see how that is "having Favre's back."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't see where in the first article that Goodell is even quoted on the situation.

Is this it?

No, I added that from ESPN Radio this morning. Goodell suggested to the Packers to resolve this situation. And I got the impression that it wasn't to have Brett on the bench holding a clipboard.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:

Is this it?

Here you go.....Better now?

Home / Sports NFL notebook

Packers told to resolve Favre's status
Email|Print|Single Page| Text size + By
Associated Press / July 23, 2008
The Green Bay Packers got busy making phone calls yesterday to several teams after being encouraged by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to resolve the controversy surrounding quarterback Brett Favre before they begin training camp Sunday, ESPN.com reported.

The commissioner has been briefed by Packers general manager Ted Thompson on the status of the team's approach with Favre, who has said he wants to play again. Sources said Thompson reaffirmed to the commissioner that the organization wants to "move on" without Favre. Consequently, Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the website reported.

The commissioner made it clear to Thompson that Favre will be reinstated as an active player if he makes the request, a decision that is forthcoming by Favre. Although it's not known which teams the Packers have contacted, NFL.com reported that NFC teams as well as AFC teams are being considered.

Castillo gets extension
San Diego Chargers defensive end Luis Castillo agreed to a five-year contract extension worth about $43 million, including a guaranteed $17.5 million in signing and roster bonuses. The deal keeps him in San Diego through 2014. Castillo has 13 sacks in 36 career games, including 33 starts. He had only 2 1/2 sacks last year, when he missed six games with an ankle injury . . . Tony Dungy is certain Peyton Manning's left knee will be ready for the Colts' season opener. The Colts coach said he thinks Manning might even play during the preseason. Manning had surgery last week to remove an infected bursa sac, a procedure doctors said would require 4-6 weeks to heal . . . Offensive tackle Orlando Pace is close to returning from a shoulder injury, but will begin Rams training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Pace tore the labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder in the 2007 season opener.

Henry isn't welcome
Coach Marvin Lewis emphatically closed the door on the possibility of receiver Chris Henry rejoining the Bengals. Cincinnati released Henry in April after he was arrested for the fifth time, and the NFL suspended him indefinitely. His court case ended in a mistrial and prosecutors dropped the charges, prompting Henry to seek reinstatement . . . The Raiders agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former Chiefs safety Greg Wesley . . . Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher signed a one-year contract extension through 2012 that is worth $18 million . . . The Ravens waived former Boston College cornerback Lenny Walls . . . The Giants agreed to terms with first-round choice Kenny Phillips, and the Super Bowl champions will open training camp with all of their draft picks under contract. Phillips, a safety from Miami, will earn roughly $11 million over the next five years.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

So Goodell now has the authority to butt into teams' personnel matters? Gotta love the precedent that sets.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

Admin: Sorry about the screw up on the thread, I know that's a pain. I'm trying to become more active on the board.

Any way, Favre is a good fit for the Bucs if it happens, and I am not sure it will. Jeff Garcia is not the kind of guy who is going to get it done, so it makes sense for the Bucs. I am not sure it makes sense for Favre.

Godell needs to stay out of internal affairs, IMHO, when it comes to pushing teams to make a deal.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
So Goodell now has the authority to butt into teams' personnel matters? Gotta love the precedent that sets.
Hey - I'm all for Favre playing again this season, but I have to agree with you, Gary. This is a personnel matter between the Pack's FO and Favre - Goodell should butt out.

As far as respecting Goodell with regard to this situation, I lost all respect for the man during Cheat*gate.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'm not for the commish getting his hands on player situations with teams.

He can't handle some of his current responsibilties in regards to the integrity of the league - now he wants his hands in team's cookie jars!!

Stay the heck out of it R-O-G-E-R!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,275 Times in 2,880 Posts

Covered up Spygate and is forcing the Rooneys to sell the brothers interest in the Steelers - yeah, I'm a huge Goodell fan
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote