Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

I love Goddell actually. He doesn't just sit on his butt like Tagliabue did alot of the time. I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules. I just got a ticket so I have to pay the fine and go to traffic school so I don't get any points on my license and my insurance does not increase. If I have to follow the rules in life, so do the Steelers and Pats, etc.

As for the Farve nonsense, I am GLAD Goodell is getting involved. It is about time someone tries to end this fiasco once and for all.

Credit: Spongebobglav for both avatar and signature
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,407 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedgehead View Post
I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules.
You realize that the horse track in Florida has been in the family since the early '70s, right? And all of a sudden, two years ago it became an issue due to the installation of slot machines? Right. Yeah, that really equates to 7+ years of a coach illegally taping opponents' signals, alright. Especially when said coach was given an out in the form of a memo from the league office and said coach still continued to break the rules. Oh, my bad, he still continued to "misinterpret" them. Comparing the Rooneys to Belicheat is a stretch - a very big stretch.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules.
it may be against the rules now, but how come the NFL allowed Art Rooney Sr. purchase the racetracks in the 1st place?

point being, there are younger Rooneys who believe they would have a strong case in court to be "grandfathered" in. after all, they are one of the original founding families of the NFL.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Hey - I'm all for Favre playing again this season, but I have to agree with you, Gary. This is a personnel matter between the Pack's FO and Favre - Goodell should butt out.

As far as respecting Goodell with regard to this situation, I lost all respect for the man during Cheat*gate.

Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league. Favre is good for the league. Easy decision on Goodell's part IMO. And for his stance with players like Pac Man, I mean Andrew , and Chris Henry I am a Goodell fan!!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league.
Butting into the personnel matters of individual teams is not in the best interest of the league, IMO.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Butting into the personnel matters of individual teams is not in the best interest of the league, IMO.

Does that include the suspensions of Pac-Man and Chris Henry?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,460 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league. Favre is good for the league. Easy decision on Goodell's part IMO. And for his stance with players like Pac Man, I mean Andrew , and Chris Henry I am a Goodell fan!!!
And that includes covering up for a worthless teams cheating over the last seven years. Maybe he should gather Favres contracts and burn them, problem sholved. Free and clear to go any where he wants.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
I love Goddell actually. He doesn't just sit on his butt like Tagliabue did alot of the time. I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules. I just got a ticket so I have to pay the fine and go to traffic school so I don't get any points on my license and my insurance does not increase. If I have to follow the rules in life, so do the Steelers and Pats, etc.

As for the Farve nonsense, I am GLAD Goodell is getting involved. It is about time someone tries to end this fiasco once and for all.
I understand any involvement of his in the selling of a team. That's part of the league responsibilities. Although I'm not happy about the process, it's still part of the rules of the NFL and as commissioner it is his job to ensure things happen. HOWEVER, to assume that he has the responsiblity for one team to take certain steps just because the player has been the face of the NFL for the last 10 years, oversteps his boundaries. If Favre were a lesser player this wouldn't even be in the headlines.

The issue is between player and team. And while it's going to get out in the media, it is not Roger's job to fix it. Let the team and player play it out and see what happens. Heck Favre hasn't even submitted his letter for reinstatement yet. Once he does, then see if he shows up to camp!

The Commissioner needs to go back inside Kraft's pocket for now.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
And that includes covering up for a worthless teams cheating over the last seven years. Maybe he should gather Favres contracts and burn them, problem sholved. Free and clear to go any where he wants.

Cover up? I thought Belichick was fined and they were relieved of their first round pick? Hmmm..... I like you idea of burning Favre's contracts, then he could definately go to Minnesota.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Does that include the suspensions of Pac-Man and Chris Henry?
No, one instance involves the legitimate discipline of players for breaking the law, the other of taking sides on behalf of a big-name player who has acted like a spoiled brat to try and get his way. Big difference.

Quote:
Cover up? I thought Belichick was fined and they were relieved of their first round pick?
Not to mention a good chunk of the evidence that led to said fine and stripping of a draft pick being destroyed. Nixon could have used a few lessons from Goodell in tape burning. Or do you think that situation was handled completely above board and on the up-and-up? If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-23-2008 at 02:10 PM.