Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
LambertIsGod58
Team President
 
LambertIsGod58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Posts: 2,421
Gender: Male
Member Number: 410
Thanks: 29
Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Butting into the personnel matters of individual teams is not in the best interest of the league, IMO.
Your quote doesn't specify which 'butting into' of teams was OK? That's why It was asked. So it's ok to suspend players that are a disgrace to the league, but it's not OK to ensure franchises are not railroading players who simply want to play the game? And as far as your Patriots reference, I don't have all the facts. Can you give me some kind of proof of your allegation? That Goodell covered it up and was involved of destroying tapes? And that's not sarcasm....I just haven't seen it.
__________________


"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,416
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 786 Times in 305 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
Your quote doesn't specify which 'butting into' of teams was OK? That's why It was asked. So it's ok to suspend players that are a disgrace to the league, but it's not OK to ensure franchises are not railroading players who simply want to play the game?
How is Favre being railroaded? Because he needs to earn his starting job back after retiring several months ago as opposed to having it handed back to him? Believe me, if Favre goes back to the Pack and Rodgers starts losing games, it won't be long before Favre is #1 on the depth chart again, and that's assuming he doesn't beat Rodgers out in camp. Ted Thompson can say all he wants about the #1 job being Rodgers' right now, but it's McCarthy's ass that will wind up in a sling before his if the Packers start losing because of poor QB play, and at the end of the day, who starts is his decision. The best player WILL start, period, at every position. There's no room for pettiness in player personnel decisions, especially when both a HC's and a GM's job security from one year to the next depends on winning games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
And as far as your Patriots reference, I don't have all the facts. Can you give me some kind of proof of your allegation? That Goodell covered it up and was involved of destroying tapes? And that's not sarcasm....I just haven't seen it.
Quote:
"I am very concerned about the underlying facts on the taping, the reasons for the judgment on the limited penalties and, most of all, on the inexplicable destruction of the tapes," Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., wrote Thursday in a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell....Goodell, in his previously scheduled news conference Friday in Phoenix, said, "I am more than willing to speak with the senator. There are very good explanations why the tapes were destroyed by our staff -- there was no purpose for them."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539

No purpose for the tapes - according to Goodell. No independent review or anything else. Just his say-so. Sorry, not good enough for this kid.

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-23-2008 at 01:57 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
LambertIsGod58
Team President
 
LambertIsGod58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Posts: 2,421
Gender: Male
Member Number: 410
Thanks: 29
Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
How is Favre being railroaded? Because he needs to earn his starting job back after retiring several months ago as opposed to having it handed back to him? Believe me, if Favre goes back to the Pack and Rodgers starts losing games, it won't be long before Favre is #1 on the depth chart again, and that's assuming he doesn't beat Rodgers out in camp. Ted Thompson can say all he wants about the #1 job being Rodgers' right now, but it's McCarthy's ass that will wind up in a sling before his if the Packers start losing because of poor QB play, and at the end of the day, who starts is his decision. The best player WILL start, period, at every position. There's no room for pettiness in player personnel decisions, especially when both a HC's and a GM's job security from one year to the next depends on winning games.




http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539
From what I heard and read, GB told Favre that he would NOT be competing for the starting job. Thus, his request to be released. And if they have no intentions of not letting him compete, which he would win hands down IMO, then I would call that railroading. The "we don't want you, but we don't anyone else to have you" would also qualify as the same. Move on with Roders....just let Favre play.
__________________


"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91

Last edited by fansince'76; 07-23-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Changed quoted post to reflect edit.
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #24
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,416
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 786 Times in 305 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
From what I heard and read, GB told Favre that he would NOT be competing for the starting job. Thus, his request to be released. And if they have no intentions of not letting him compete, which he would win hands down IMO, then I would call that railroading. The "we don't want you, but we don't anyone else to have you" would also qualify as the same. Move on with Roders....just let Favre play.
That's what they say now, but believe me, if McCarthy and Thompson value their jobs, they will let the better QB start. And IMO, the better QB is Favre.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #25
LambertIsGod58
Team President
 
LambertIsGod58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Posts: 2,421
Gender: Male
Member Number: 410
Thanks: 29
Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
That's what they say now, but believe me, if McCarthy and Thompson value their jobs, they will let the better QB start. And IMO, the better QB is Favre.
I'd agree with that...but I don't think Favre has the trust in Thompson or the rest of the front office to take that chance. Deserved or not. I totally agree that it's wrong how Favre flip flops back and forth like John Kerry on retiring. But to me he's great for the league. He's a throwback player. And just to deny him the chance to compete for the starting job b/c he didn't make up his mind when the GB front office deemed fit, I think is completely wrong. I think for what Favre did for the franchise, he deserves better than that.
__________________


"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #26
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Simply put....for all the good that the commish has done in regards to making players accountable for tarnishing the image of the NFL with their illegal and selfish off-field antics.....he has tarnished that image even more himself, by his coddling of the Patriots*, Belicheat, and "Kraft the Enabler".

It is next to impossible for me to take him seriously from this point on. As far as I am concerned he is a paradox of integrity..spoon feeding the media and fans whatever sound bytes, press releases, and information that fit his agenda. The prototypical "Man behind the Curtain" that we are supposed to ignore why he projects an image of the Great Oz for public consumption.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #27
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,416
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 786 Times in 305 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
I'd agree with that...but I don't think Favre has the trust in Thompson or the rest of the front office to take that chance. Deserved or not. I totally agree that it's wrong how Favre flip flops back and forth like John Kerry on retiring. But to me he's great for the league. He's a throwback player. And just to deny him the chance to compete for the starting job b/c he didn't make up his mind when the GB front office deemed fit, I think is completely wrong. I think for what Favre did for the franchise, he deserves better than that.
I can see your point as well - I find it hard to believe that a GM and HC would be stupid enough to let a personal vendetta and pettiness get in the way of putting the best team out on the field. Maybe they would be, though - I can understand why Favre may not want to chance that.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #28
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Big D's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: living in the field of dreams
Posts: 3,330
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58;415118]Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

What is with your man crush over brett favre. My god why dont you change your name to favreisgod4. How would you like if ben played these mind games with the steelers. NO PLAYER IS OVER HIS TEAM






.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
LambertIsGod58
Team President
 
LambertIsGod58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Posts: 2,421
Gender: Male
Member Number: 410
Thanks: 29
Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

[QUOTE=Big D;415283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

What is with your man crush over brett favre. My god why dont you change your name to favreisgod4. How would you like if ben played these mind games with the steelers. NO PLAYER IS OVER HIS TEAM






.
I honestly wouldn't care if Ben played these games. I'm not a huge Ben fan. I believe FanSince'76 can attest to that.
__________________


"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #30
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter
 
stlrtruck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,783
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

I understand his so-called "man crush" on Favre. He's an old school QB that played the game the way it was intended to be played. Favre left everything he had on the field every game day. I hope Ben takes notes on that mentality and continues to develop into that type of player.

However, Favre has been back and forth on this issue more than a politician. I understand that he thought he wanted to retire and now he's changed his mind. If he has truly changed his mind then come back to GB as the backup and earn your position. The team has moved on without you up to this point. So call their bluff to see if they are really going to pay 12 million for a backup.

On the other hand, the team needs to shite or get off the pot. Either release him, trade him, or let him know that he's definitely a packer and regardless of contract, he's going to be in a packer's uniform.

As for the commish, he has no business in team business. His job is to oversee the league, punish players that tarnish the leagues image (with the exception of previously mentioned team from the northeast), and other various activities like the agreements between owners and the player's union. What freakin' right does he have to intervene on negotiations between a player and a team? I mean what if this was Jake Long, would he intervene on behalf of the Dolphins or for Jake being he was the #1 pick?

Roger Good Deal has made a mockary of this league in his short tenure as commish. He needs to worry about his own image and the image of the league before he worries about the legacy of a player or a team for that matter. I mean really if he's worried about the legacy of a team, then why doesn't he change the NFL policy about owners having gambling sites? Maybe make it that minority owners can do things like that ot supplement incomes? Wouldn't that protect the legacy of the Steelers? OR maybe Good Deal wants to pick and choose what teams he protects and what is important to him, not the league!

All I know is enough is enough, in 4 more days players report and in 5 days - JOY!
__________________

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts