Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,741 Posts
Default Tomlin July 23 Press Conference Observations

The uncertain future of the ownership of the Steelers could become a distraction for the players, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

"Potentially," is how Tomlin put the chances of it affecting his ballclub. "Because there'll be questions that I'll have to answer in regards to that and there will be questions that potentially our team has to answer in regard to that.

"I don't have the answer to those questions and neither does our football team; I'm here to coach, they're here to play. Those questions will be answered by the Rooneys."

Tomlin reiterated Kevin Colbert's prediction that both unsigned rookies, top picks Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed, will have contracts by Sunday....

This camp will not be as physically difficult as his first because the 81-man roster is five fewer than last year. He will not conduct as many true two-a-days as he did in 2007.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08205/898936-66.stm

Surprised Tomlin did not simply say the sale of the team is something nobody other than the Rooneys will comment on and leave it at that. The coach and team do not have to answer something if you put it off limits from day one - why say you have to answer those questions then say you do not have to answer those questions?

Glad to read the camp will be less physical. IMO the push for a good preseason and tough camp left the team runnnig on fumes by Thanskgiving in 2007
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,033 Times in 4,566 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin July 23 Press Conference Observations

sweet. i love tomlins pressers. thanks dan.

perhaps tomlin is a bit too forthcoming and honest. sorta refreshing though.

the roster limit is really affecting all the teams in camp. there will probably be an increase next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

Quote:
Roster limit could alter ways of doing business in camp
there have already been alot of players put on the PUP list and pre season games are being predicted to be especially boring this year.

good to see tomlin is a quick learn and not stuck in his old ways. seems a little more flexible than cowher. hopefully the team responds. as professional as the players are, im sure they will.

im psyched. football season really starts for me with the pre camp press conference.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,390 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
perhaps tomlin is a bit too forthcoming and honest. sorta refreshing though.
He's not doing it the correct way. The correct way to respond to press conference questions is with monosyllabic grunts and groans while not really saying anything. Can't be divulging any important insider info.

NM

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
He's not doing it the correct way. The correct way to respond to press conference questions is with monosyllabic grunts and groans while not really saying anything. Can't be divulging any important insider info.

NM

If Tomlin starts showing up for press conferences in a gray hoodie with cut off sleeves we will know he is taking your advice.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The uncertain future of the ownership of the Steelers could become a distraction for the players, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

"Potentially," is how Tomlin put the chances of it affecting his ballclub. "Because there'll be questions that I'll have to answer in regards to that and there will be questions that potentially our team has to answer in regard to that.

"I don't have the answer to those questions and neither does our football team; I'm here to coach, they're here to play. Those questions will be answered by the Rooneys."

Tomlin reiterated Kevin Colbert's prediction that both unsigned rookies, top picks Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed, will have contracts by Sunday....

This camp will not be as physically difficult as his first because the 81-man roster is five fewer than last year. He will not conduct as many true two-a-days as he did in 2007.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08205/898936-66.stm

Surprised Tomlin did not simply say the sale of the team is something nobody other than the Rooneys will comment on and leave it at that. The coach and team do not have to answer something if you put it off limits from day one - why say you have to answer those questions then say you do not have to answer those questions?

Glad to read the camp will be less physical. IMO the push for a good preseason and tough camp left the team runnnig on fumes by Thanskgiving in 2007
I think you and I had a thread about that around that time.... didn't we?

I am very excited to hear that. I hope he also has learned not to put them in pads throughout the year in practice.

However, I think it was a smart move the first season. It established HIS way of doing things. Cowher is already the distant past when it comes to day in, day out work. Porter and Big Red being gone helped facilitate that as well.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

He should mumble out platitudes and say things like:

"It all goes back to the premise of your question" and "I think I have already answered that. "

Or he could pull a Bob Dylan and answer everything with a question.

I kind of like his honesty though.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Tomlin has not ceased to amaze me since we first heard of the guy. He's kinda got an Obama silver tongue with the press.

I'm very, very happy to see that Tomlin looks to have learned his lesson from last year in regards to pushin' in TC. Nothing wrong with fierce competition, but you're dealing with human bodies not machines. Football players take a pounding over three months, no need to make it harder.

Can't wait to see our boys in action soon!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

I totally agree that the camp took too much out of the team and that was evident late in the year. Live and learn. i think he will be a better coach. I hope so at least!!

...not that he did a bad job last year.....
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by redst3 View Post
I totally agree that the camp took too much out of the team and that was evident late in the year. Live and learn. i think he will be a better coach. I hope so at least!!

The camp did it some... but having the players in pads all the time did it as well.

Hopefully he learned from that too.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,639 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think last year was a learning curve for tomlin he learned alot last year and should be much better this year.