Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
entrobe
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20
Member Number: 7561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Steel Memories made at Latrobe

By Peter King

Do you know how rare it is to stand on the sideline of a football field and have to move your feet quickly to dodge a tackle in front of you? Do you know how often it happens that there's a fight five feet in front of you, and you have to have incredible peripheral vision to avoid the bodies flying into the fight? And do you know how rare it is to stand alongside the head coach of a National Football League team as he twirls his whistle, with cornstalks one long spiral behind him, as he prepares to start his team's afternoon practice?

Welcome to the best site to watch America's most popular sport. That's what I'd call St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., the camp of monks (really, there are cloistered monks here) and Steeler faithful an hour east of Pittsburgh in the rolling Laurel Highlands of west-central Pennsylvania.

I've watched the Steelers here over the years -- I actually interviewed Mike Webster in his dorm room in 1984, the first year of the camp, and showered alongside the players before their morning meetings in the same shower where St. Vincent freshman lathered up. My annual though is this must be what it was like to watch NFL teams before the days of fame and fortune and $700 Super Bowl tickets. "It doesn't get any better than this," former Steeler coach Bill Cowher told me in 2003 after one practice, as he looked out at the cornfields to the southwest of his practice field. "This is football, classic football. I know there's been a lot said recently about where teams practice, and some teams are going back to their facilities to have training camp. But look at this place. How can football get better than this? Four weeks of being together, no distractions, everything within walking distance? Fields all here. Nothing but football. Nothing. Just four weeks of you, your roommate and football. I think there's a lot to be said for how you start your season, and every year we feel like we get a great start to what we're going to be as a football team by being up here."

Come here around 8 in the morning some early August day. Watch the mist rise from the highlands. Sit on one of the hills surrounding the practice fields. Soak it all in. One of two or three things will happen. Joe Greene will stroll by, rolling an unlit cigar in his fingers, and say, "How are you today?'' Or a St. Vincent monk or priest will say hello and ask if you need anything. Or you'll see a player hustling to morning meetings--a player or maybe a coach, and you'll be pleasantly surprised that neither will ignore you.

It's the best training camp in the NFL, the best venue for watching real football in the NFL, and my favorite place to soak in what sports should be.
Honorable Mention

1. Fenway Park, Boston
On a sunny summer day, in any seat in the park, you've gone to heaven.

2. RFK Stadium, Washington
When the Redskins were hot, the stadium shook, I wish they still were there.

3. Coors Field, Denver
Sit 30 rows above the third-base dugout, look out ... The Rocky Mountains!

4. Cameron Indoor Stadium and Wrigley Field (tie)
What better place to have five afternoon Old Styles and fall out of the human race for a day?
entrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
msafford
Starter
 
msafford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Posts: 489
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2447
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrobe View Post
Steel Memories made at Latrobe

By Peter King

Do you know how rare it is to stand on the sideline of a football field and have to move your feet quickly to dodge a tackle in front of you? Do you know how often it happens that there's a fight five feet in front of you, and you have to have incredible peripheral vision to avoid the bodies flying into the fight? And do you know how rare it is to stand alongside the head coach of a National Football League team as he twirls his whistle, with cornstalks one long spiral behind him, as he prepares to start his team's afternoon practice?

Welcome to the best site to watch America's most popular sport. That's what I'd call St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., the camp of monks (really, there are cloistered monks here) and Steeler faithful an hour east of Pittsburgh in the rolling Laurel Highlands of west-central Pennsylvania.

I've watched the Steelers here over the years -- I actually interviewed Mike Webster in his dorm room in 1984, the first year of the camp, and showered alongside the players before their morning meetings in the same shower where St. Vincent freshman lathered up. My annual though is this must be what it was like to watch NFL teams before the days of fame and fortune and $700 Super Bowl tickets. "It doesn't get any better than this," former Steeler coach Bill Cowher told me in 2003 after one practice, as he looked out at the cornfields to the southwest of his practice field. "This is football, classic football. I know there's been a lot said recently about where teams practice, and some teams are going back to their facilities to have training camp. But look at this place. How can football get better than this? Four weeks of being together, no distractions, everything within walking distance? Fields all here. Nothing but football. Nothing. Just four weeks of you, your roommate and football. I think there's a lot to be said for how you start your season, and every year we feel like we get a great start to what we're going to be as a football team by being up here."

Come here around 8 in the morning some early August day. Watch the mist rise from the highlands. Sit on one of the hills surrounding the practice fields. Soak it all in. One of two or three things will happen. Joe Greene will stroll by, rolling an unlit cigar in his fingers, and say, "How are you today?'' Or a St. Vincent monk or priest will say hello and ask if you need anything. Or you'll see a player hustling to morning meetings--a player or maybe a coach, and you'll be pleasantly surprised that neither will ignore you.

It's the best training camp in the NFL, the best venue for watching real football in the NFL, and my favorite place to soak in what sports should be.
Honorable Mention

1. Fenway Park, Boston
On a sunny summer day, in any seat in the park, you've gone to heaven.

2. RFK Stadium, Washington
When the Redskins were hot, the stadium shook, I wish they still were there.

3. Coors Field, Denver
Sit 30 rows above the third-base dugout, look out ... The Rocky Mountains!

4. Cameron Indoor Stadium and Wrigley Field (tie)
What better place to have five afternoon Old Styles and fall out of the human race for a day?
Great article, although I could have done WITHOUT the line about Peter King showering.
__________________
msafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,137
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 6,209 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

and now for the obligatory "SI sucks. Peter King is a Steeler hating tool" post.

great article. i cant wait for his training camp tour articles coming soon. he's pretty damn good on his new gig with sirius radio too.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsafford View Post
Great article, although I could have done WITHOUT the line about Peter King showering.


You a visual thinker as well?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,417
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 792 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and now for the obligatory "SI sucks. Peter King is a Steeler hating tool" post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
OK. This isn't saying anything about the Steelers and their future, but


Peter King sucks.

That is all.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Forgive me mod but......




Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
msafford
Starter
 
msafford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Posts: 489
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2447
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post


You a visual thinker as well?
Sadly....yes.
__________________
msafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter
 
RoethlisBURGHer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Clowns Town,Ohio
Posts: 5,941
Member Number: 370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

I too could have done without the mental image of him in the shower...other than that it was an excellent article.

I hope by next summer's TC I will have saved the money to be able to go to Latrobe for a week and take in Steelers training camp.

I do go to Browns TC every year, decked out in Steelers gear.
__________________

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I too could have done without the mental image of him in the shower...other than that it was an excellent article.

I hope by next summer's TC I will have saved the money to be able to go to Latrobe for a week and take in Steelers training camp.

I do go to Browns TC every year, decked out in Steelers gear.
And you make it?

That is hilarious!

SPeaking of which... Raiders camp is right here in my town...........Hmmmmmmmmm
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend
 
stillers4me's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,670
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Peter King: Steel Memories made at Latrobe

Spending 2 days in Latrobe goes down as one of my favorite trips ever. I can still see those beautiful rolling hills in the distance as I sat up on that hill watching my Steelers getting hot and sweaty on those steamy August afternoons. Every Steelers fan needs to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their lifetime. I even got to see Dan Rooney....he walked right passed not once but twice! Good times, great memories!
__________________
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts