Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Be all you can be????

well, he's gottta do what's he's gotta do

I feel bad for him, but it's service. all we can do is wish him the best and hope he accomplishes his dream

I'll be rooting for you campbell!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
The Army (and all of the other branches) answer to the DoD. DoD policy is that servicemembers will abide by their contracts. You can add to policy when you're further down the chain, but you can't take away.

The Army had no right to make that kind of promise.

It's like the NFL policy on filming. The New England Patriots had no right to do what they did. They tried to play by their own rules and the NFL over-ruled on it.

There is no standing firm in this issue. Flip-flopping was only necessary because the Army tried to break their higher headquarters standing policy.
Thanks for the explanation xfl. I have a better understanding of the whole situation now.

As Duke said, all we can do at this point is wish this young man well and pray for his safety as we pray for all of our servicemen and women.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

While I'm sure the guy is disappointed that it will be until 2010 before he can strap on a NFL uniform, I'm glad to see that he's being held accountable for his contract.

Who knows, maybe he'll be able to maintain some conditioning aspect while he's serving and come back to the Lions when he's eligible.

As for the rentention of soldiers, I'm sure it's not a problem. The majority are enlisted and probably don't care that this guy has to come back. I'm sure they'll be looking for him if they have a pickup game of football - but really I'm sure they could care less about his football career. They enlisted, they've honored their contracts, and they probably feel that officers should have to do the same...

but that's all my opinion - what the heck do I know sitting where I am.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Although I initially disagreed with the exception that was made for this kid (http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...610#post392610), I have to think that reversing the decision to let him pursue a NFL career now isn't exactly going to help recruitment and retention efforts for the Army. The Army should have stood firm from the get-go.

Hey buddy....we agree on something. I disagreed with the fact that they made an exception for this kid. For the simple reason that his blood is not any less red than anyone else headed to Iraq. He signed the contract knowing full well the consequences. However, it isn't right for the Army to say that he can pursue his dream, just to rip it away from him. But that's our government for ya.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

I do not have a problem with the kid having to fulfill his obligations to the Army. My problem is the Army's flip flopping and changing the rules in the middle of the game and yingyanging the kid. First they said he could participate and now they say, THE DAY BEFORE TRAINING CAMP, mind you, he can't. Bad PR for the Army, no matter how you slice it. The Army should have made one stance one way or the other and set one set of rules. I feel bad for the kid. Bad call by the Army. Sorry.

Credit: Spongebobglav for both avatar and signature
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

If I remember right, there IS a loophole for certain people coming out of the academies.

Again, if memory serves, David Robinson was released from service... but made HIS OWN DECISION.... that he would fulfill his contract.

I don't know what that loophole was, but I remember hearing about it.

Found this in a CBS sportswriter blog.

Quote:
David Robinson never complained upon graduating from the Naval Academy and serving two years of active duty before the military allowed him to leave early for the NBA.
http://www.eveningnews.com/stories/s...10907769.shtml

BTW... Read the blog.. it is pretty good on this subject.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

From what I understand the DoD has a policy in effect that let him leave after graduation to play in the NFL as long as he was on an NFL roster (if cut at all during training camp or the season, he would automatically be put into active duty) and would be a recruiter. Now they are changing this policy, and he's being forced into active duty. And this loophole was there for people of "special talents", not just football players.

I feel anyone released from active duty under this policy should have been grandfathered in, instead of being yanked out of whatever career path they found themselves in. In the end, this is going to make the military and the government look worse than they already do.

Also, the Navy and Air Force had the option of using this policy but decided against it. Now they are upset because the Army used it to their advantage. It was there for any branch of the military to use, but those two decided not to. Not the Army's fault.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Well I guess the only place xfl2001fan and I agree is outside football!

I am a former Marine who served in the big sandbox. No other soldier is given the oppurtunity to not go to war if there is a better offer. Sure the Army went sideways on this issue ( isn't the first and wont be the last time ) but bottom line is this kid swore an oath to defend his country, now his country is calling and he has to answer!

If the kid had enough talent to be drafted then his HS coaches should have told him to get a football scholarship at a university. He should have thought it through more, if the NFL was his dream he should have pursued it!

I wish him well. and hope he gets back to live out his dream.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
Well I guess the only place xfl2001fan and I agree is outside football!

I am a former Marine who served in the big sandbox. No other soldier is given the oppurtunity to not go to war if there is a better offer. Sure the Army went sideways on this issue ( isn't the first and wont be the last time ) but bottom line is this kid swore an oath to defend his country, now his country is calling and he has to answer!

If the kid had enough talent to be drafted then his HS coaches should have told him to get a football scholarship at a university. He should have thought it through more, if the NFL was his dream he should have pursued it!

I wish him well. and hope he gets back to live out his dream.

Nice thing is, from what I understand, he isn't saying a word about it.. except for yessir and nosir.

It is others who are making the flap...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,923 Times in 3,001 Posts

im sure the answer is "yes" and "yes" but did he sign a deal with detroit and does he get to keep his bonus? (probably around $50,000 or so)