Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Why Logic Sucks

It's an old math joke, but I hear too many people who want to use logic as a basis for argument.

Three businessmen are traveling home when a terrible storm suddenly appears. They stop off at the only motel in a small town in the middle of nowhere. When asking for rooms, the manager tells them that there is only 1 room available and it will cost 30 dollars.

Each man shells out 10 dollars and they take it, knowing the room will be crowded, but not willing to chance the storm.

About an hour goes by and the manager realizes that because it's Thursday, the room should only have been 25 dollars. So, he sends his assistant to the room with 5 dollars for a refund.

The assistant, not knowing how to split 5 dollars 3 ways evenly, decides to give each man 1 dollar in return and keeps 2 dollars for himself.

By giving each man 1 dollar back, they've now each paid 9 dollars.

3 men have paid a total of 27 dollars and the bellhop kept two. So, a total of 29 dollars was paid (logically).

What happened to the missing dollar?

This is why people who want to use the word logic, ought to be careful. Logic can lie. So can numbers.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Why Logic Sucks

I don't understand why this confuses you. You are mixing up paid money with refunded money; some of it has been added, some of it has been subtracted. The only money that counts is what has been paid; out of the $30 total, the innkeeper has $25, each of the men has $3 back, and the assistant has $2. The extra dollar has been mistakenly added to the wrong column, from assets to debits. And logic has nothing to do with it; the "answer" was worded incorrectly.

edit: Or better said, slippery men can make illogic appear to be logic, can twist words to sound like they make sense when they actually do not.

I like having you here, xfl2001fan. Your discussions have meat on them.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

No, here's why logic sucks...

A Steelers fan was reading a book on logic. His neighbor, a Browns fan, asked him about the book. The Steelers fan said it was a book about logic. The Browns fan asked, "What's logic?"

The Steelers fan pointed to the Browns fan's doghouse and said, "See that doghouse in your yard? That means you have a dog". The Browns fan answered, "Yeah, that's right." The Steelers fan said, "And I'm guessing you probably have kids too. Browns fan said, "Yep, sure do." The Steelers fan said, "That must mean you're straight." The Browns fan said, "Amazing."

So the Browns fan went across the street and peeked over another fence into the backyard. The other neighbor asked, "What are you doing?" Browns fan said, "Looking for your doghouse." The neighbor said, "I don't have a dog." The Browns fan asked, "Is you queer or something?"
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I don't understand why this confuses you. You are mixing up paid money with refunded money; some of it has been added, some of it has been subtracted. The only money that counts is what has been paid; out of the $30 total, the innkeeper has $25, each of the men has $3 back, and the assistant has $2. The extra dollar has been mistakenly added to the wrong column, from assets to debits. And logic has nothing to do with it; the "answer" was worded incorrectly.

edit: Or better said, slippery men can make illogic appear to be logic, can twist words to sound like they make sense when they actually do not.

I like having you here, xfl2001fan. Your discussions have meat on them.
But you see where the error in logic can exist.

It's very easy to assume there's a "missing dollar". The logic exists, however flawed it may be. Unfortunately, too many people fall into this trap. I have been guilty of this from time to time.

BTW, I love those articles from Ireland. Fantastic reads.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
No, here's why logic sucks...

A Steelers fan was reading a book on logic. His neighbor, a Browns fan, asked him about the book. The Steelers fan said it was a book about logic. The Browns fan asked, "What's logic?"

The Steelers fan pointed to the Browns fan's doghouse and said, "See that doghouse in your yard? That means you have a dog". The Browns fan answered, "Yeah, that's right." The Steelers fan said, "And I'm guessing you probably have kids too. Browns fan said, "Yep, sure do." The Steelers fan said, "That must mean you're straight." The Browns fan said, "Amazing."

So the Browns fan went across the street and peeked over another fence into the backyard. The other neighbor asked, "What are you doing?" Browns fan said, "Looking for your doghouse." The neighbor said, "I don't have a dog." The Browns fan asked, "Is you queer or something?"

Nice twist on another classic joke! I don't think it was about logic, but can't remember the proper terminology used.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

My favorite example of a lack of logic?

Assuming that Ben would be a lesser QB with a better line. That his stats would DECREASE if he had more time in the pocket.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Thank you for yet another insightful post revesfsreleets. /sarcasm
Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

It is what it is. You claimed that Ben was a poor pocket passer, asserting that he needed to be flushed from the pocket to be effective. You made the bed and now you have no choice but to lie in it.

I've yet to hear you address the assertion that both Brady and Manning would have had HORRIBLE years if they'd have had to play behind the Steelers line. You did slip in a couple diversions and an ad hominem attack or two, but nothing of any substance in way of rebuttal.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

You twisted everything I said to mean something else and continue to do so.

I have said that he's the most dangerous quarterback when on the move. He is easily better than Manning, Brady or anybody else. There have been faster guys lining up behind center (i.e. Vince Young and Michael Vick) but those guys aren't near the quarterback Ben is.

I didn't respond to the Brady/Manning issue because I wasn't going to argue those points. They benefit from having better lineplay. I can't attest to how "horrible" their stats would be. Manning in particular tends to get rid of the ball very quickly and is more likely to throw it away than to try to make a big play. He's also had the benefit of having some pretty good check down targets (James, Addai, Rhodes, Clark, Utecht).

Yes, Ben does make his big plays, but sometimes he makes them for the other team, which is where my biggest "dis" of him came from. Get rid of the ball quicker or throw it away. It's basic football fundamentals that I believe in.

I dont' recall ever saying that he needed to be flushed from the pocket to be effective. You chose to read more into what I've said than what is actually there. So you've made that bed and continue to try to make me lie in it.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I'll never stop either...as long as you are here talking football, I'll make it as difficult and challenging as I can for you. And, since this IS a STEELERS BB, that's EXACTLY how it should be.

Welcome to camp, rook.