Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default NZ judge backs girl over 'embarrassing' name

Quote:
A New Zealand judge has made a 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name can be changed from Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, the country's national news agency reported Thursday.

Family Court Judge Rob Murfitt listed a series of unusual names that New Zealand parents had given their children, and said he was concerned that such strange monikers would create hurdles for them as they grew up.

"It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap," the New Zealand Press Association quoted the judge as saying.

Among the names Murfitt cited: twins named Benson and Hedges -- after a brand of cigarettes; Violence; and Number 16 Bus Shelter.

Some parents had named children after six-cylinder Ford cars, the news agency reported. iReport.com: Do you have a unique name?

The Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages said in a statement that it had rejected names including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Stallion, Twisty Poi -- a staple food in Polynesian cuisine -- and Sex Fruit.

A lawyer for Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii said the girl is so embarrassed by her name that friends know her as "K."

Last month, a judge in the U.S. state of Illinois allowed a school bus driver to legally change his first name to "In God" and his last name to "We Trust."

But an appeals court in the state of New Mexico ruled against a man -- named Variable -- who wanted to change his name to a two-word phrase that contains a four-letter expletive and expresses opposition to censorship.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/as...mes/index.html
Thought it was funny. In my country, people used to give all kinds of names to the newborn children in the old days, but the reason is kinda like to protect them from bad omens or devilish force something like that, because they believed the kids are vulnerable to those kinds of things. You could still meet people with names like Broken pan, Bad dog, Who knew, Never knew, Nobody, Iron axe, Woman, & etc. in Mongolia.

But my favorite is TerbishDagva which means "That's-not-him-It's-Dagva"

Last edited by SteelersMongol; 07-26-2008 at 03:51 AM.
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274
Default Re: NZ judge backs girl over 'embarrassing' name

Oh my Lord, I cant even imagine naming a child something like what these people named their daughter. I thought it was bad to have my daughter named Peyton but seirousley what in the heck were these people thinking???

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

The spousal unit went to school with a girl named Merry Christmas,

Her Grandmother's name is Iona Butt and the kids thought her Aunts name was Rosey Butt, but it was actually Helen.

I bet I get in trouble for posting this one.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

i was gonna name my son Terry Bronto in honor of bradshaw and short for pterydactyl brontosaurus. either that or Terry Rex (T-Rex).

but i had a girl instead.