Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617
Default Did Rush get this one right?

Quote:
Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head..........

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million. If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in act ion, the first
check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers. (Actually, soldiers are put in harms way by politicians and commanding
officers.)

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on
food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own US Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7,
they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.
I think he hit it right on the head.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Did Rush get this one right?

Did Rush get this one right? - on the issue of what we pay the troops being an obscenity - you betcha

On the "facts" upon which he based his arguments - probably not, which is typical for him

Rush - Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month

Facts - Congress has a pension plan ... It's a fairly nice one, too. Not extravagant, but nice.

Members are eligible to start collecting at age 62 if they have at least five years of service. If they have 20 years of service under their belt, they can retire at 50. With 25 years of service, they can retire any time.

What they get depends on a formula based on years of service and average pay(natch, right?).

So a congressman with 22 years of service and whose average salary for the top three years was $153,900 gets $84,645. A current congressman ending up with six years of service (it's two-year terms, after all) would get at least $16,503 (at age 62, of course).

In actuality, the average congressional pension payment ranges between $41,000 and $55,000, based on 2002 data from the Congressional Research Service.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/20/comm...tler/index.htm

Rush - They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system

Facts - Basically, the politicians chip in 8 percent of their salary split between the pension program (about 1.3-1.8 percent) and Social Security (contrary to various Internet rumors, Congress does pay Social Security taxes.)

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/20/comm...tler/index.htm

In other words, it's a nice pension but nowhere near what Rush misrepresents it to be

Rush - I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass

Fact - - leaving aside the fact that the 9-11 victims opted into the federal compensation system and waived their right to sue the airlines or the Feds, I fail to recall Rush rallying the dittoheads to write their Congressmen and oppose the payout system when it was proposed.

Even when Rush has a valid point he lies to make it.

Addendum - I apologize to Rush about the misstatements in the Congressional pension portion of the statement attributed to him. As for the 9-11 victim payouts, it was not a welfare check and Rush never opposed the program when it was enacted.

This is a variant of an emailed transcription of an actual radio monologue by Rush Limbaugh. However, the last three paragraphs were not part of the original and were added later by person(s) unknown. The apocryphal portion of the message appears to have come from another email flier circulating since 2000.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._limbaugh2.htm

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 07-27-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added correction on what Rush actually said
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I am not a fan of Rush in the least, as I think he speaketh with forked tongue a little too often, but I have to wholeheartedly agree with this statement:

Quote:
I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - illegals coming into this country are treated more humanely and given more from our government than our soldiers and Vets and it's dead wrong. Take care of those who have taken care of you, damn it.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Well, I'm not gonna spit out a bunch of numbers concerning what politician make money wise. What I will say is this..
I have 1st hand accounts of the pay our military recieves. I spent 4 years in the Marines living off it. Listen up folks, there are military families who have to collect foodstamps just to feed thier family! I personally didn't need to do so, but I served with 4 men who's family did not have enough money to buy groceries! These families were legitimately on the poverty line! Rush may be exagerating in regards to the politicians salary, but I guarantee they aren't drawing foodstamps!

It's an ass backwards fuct up system that leaves are soldiers twisting in the breeze!

I've said it in many a thread....... I HATE POLITICIANS!

I would not trade ONE soldier for a thousand politicians! Make that a million!

ARGH! I hope they all get asshole cancer!!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It's definitely a travesty that rappers get paid millions for talking fast, and politicians cash in for being elected, and there are celebrities who are multi-millionaires just for the sake of being famous, and a myriad of other injustices while soldiers get effed by the gov't every day due to over site and red tape and idiocy.

We should take some celebs like Brittany Spears and Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton and use them as human shields for our soldiers in Iraq. Taking a few rounds in the chest for a soldier will make up for all the misdirected and misguided admiration for untalented morons which seems to permeate our culture now. 12 year old girls will learn that the price of being a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter and singing badly isn't fame, but being a human version of kevlar.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

And what is just as sadly funny...

The hate in many parts of the third world... is a cultural hate. It isn't just about our military, our politics, our economics, it is about a bankrupt society that makes little girls into massive sex symbols, applauds them kissing another girl on a stage, and then is hypocritical enough to enjoy the schadenfreude when they fall off the stage into drugs, alcohol, and mental breakdowns.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,173 Times in 463 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

and lets not forget athelets i come on I love Ben but is he really worth 102 million dollars to play football
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

If you want a vignette of how certain individuals appear to be exorbitantly rewarded these days, this real estate note in the WSJ reflects the odd allocation of incomes, excessive rewards granted celebs, and real estate values in our times rather nicely:

Supermodel Gisele BŁndchen and quarterback Tom Brady have both re-listed their former Manhattan pads. Ms. BŁndchen is now asking $5.9 million for her West Village penthouse, a bit more than half of her original asking price last September. Her boyfriend, the New England Patriots quarterback, wants $18.29 million for his Time Warner Center condominium, roughly 10% more than he asked last year...

Ms. BŁndchen, 28, has had some trouble selling her apartment, which measures about 1,700 square feet over three floors connected by a spiral staircase. After first putting the two-bedroom unit on the market in September for $10.9 million, she lowered the price several times, down to $7.9 million. She finally took it off the market this spring.

Mr. Brady's former residence is located in midtown Manhattan in a glass-walled tower with services provided by the Mandarin Oriental hotel. The three-bedroom unit has views of Central Park. In early 2007, Mr. Brady, 30, first listed the roughly 3,000-square-foot home at $16.5 million, $2.5 million more than he had paid for it just months earlier in December 2006. He later took it off the market and has now re-listed it for $18.29 million, up about 30% from what he paid.

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/...794381793.html

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote