Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > Fantasy Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Attn: SFNFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by katk9 View Post
I would like to know if the waiver time set at 7 days is correct?
I think it might actually be 3, but I would have to check.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Good stuff, Rev.

I made up these points last year based on another league I really enjoyed. I feel like these settings really open up other positions you can rely on. Generally, Fantasy Football is ruled by running backs. In this league, though, good running backs or good receivers or even a really good squad of individual defensive players, can be your breadwinners.

I know we have some newer players here so I'll just point out a few things.

All the veteran players know to study the points BEFORE the draft. I know it sounds simple, but seriously, people don't always do it. I participated in a league that had RIDICULOUS point settings for kick returners. The third best player in points behind Tomlinson and Brady was Joshua Cribbs. So, be sure to know what kind of guys you want before the draft. You can snag some good players in the late rounds that would normally be passed over.

You're right. Pass catching RBs are very valuable in this league. With that said, so are high reception receivers. A player having a mediocre performance in yards can still have a respectable outing if they have a few receptions.

Rev is right. The yardage was set like this to kind of level out the gap between RBs and WRs that you normally see. I've had reliable receivers carry my offense some weeks. Obviously, pass catching RBs become even more valuable because they earn receptions and any yardage they pick up counts as much as a run up the middle. Rushing yards are also 10:1.

As a few people have pointed out, "D" is a flex position. Remember to look at the point settings for individual defensive players. The way Yahoo works is that there a DL and DB. DL is anyone in the front seven (DTs, DEs, ILB, OLB, MLB, etc.). DB are your secondary, obviously. So you have 2 DLs, 2 DBs, and any combination of the 2 for the D. You can have 4 DL and 2 DB (my favorite), or 3 of each, and so on.

On defense, there are a lot of points to be cleaned up, if you pick the right personnel. Remember, just because they are a great player (how many tackles does Casey Hampton actually get?) does not mean they are a great fantasy player. Also, Solo tackles are worth a point. That's as much as ten yards for an RB. Like receivers, I've had 2 or 3 defenders put a game away for me. Perhaps even consider one that does kickoff duties, as well.

Some of this may seem obvious, but its good to actually HAVE a plan.
Thanks a lot Crush. That clears things up nicely.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Oh, and a word to the wise: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, USE YAHOO'S RANKS! They are awful! I think one year they had Chris Hope as the top rated defensive player in the whole league, based upon THEIR default scoring system. Do your own research if you want to be competitive.

And if you get stuck in autodraft without pre-ranking a few hundred players yourself here's how your draft will look:

QB
K
TE
DB
DL
RB
K
DB

I may be exaggerating a tad, but, I'm telling you, I'm not far off...it's awful.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Oh, and a word to the wise: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, USE YAHOO'S RANKS! They are awful! I think one year they had Chris Hope as the top rated defensive player in the whole league, based upon THEIR default scoring system. Do your own research if you want to be competitive.

And if you get stuck in autodraft without pre-ranking a few hundred players yourself here's how your draft will look:

QB
K
TE
DB
DL
RB
K
DB

I may be exaggerating a tad, but, I'm telling you, I'm not far off...it's awful.

Right. If you cannot make the draft, be sure to preset your own rankings. It is tedious, but the entire process won't take you all that much longer than the draft itself, unless you are VERY thorough.

As Rev mentioned, the individual defensive players rankings are absolutely HORRENDOUS. I am truly baffled that they have not resolved this very obvious flaw in the drafting system.

This means two things:
1.) You actually have to know what defenders you want, since you won't have the luxury of seeing the general consensus of "best available."
2.) If you do autodraft and DO NOT preset your individual defensive players it is hardly the end of the world. Defenders are one position where you can clean up on the waiver wire. Trust me, every year a handful of "tackle machines" come out of nowhere.

EDIT: Seriously, its bad. Last year I think the first defender off the board was Dan Klecko, followed by Larry Izzo. Look those guys up....
Old 07-31-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
katk9
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2584
Thumbs up Re: Attn: SFNFC

Quote:
I think it might actually be 3, but I would have to check.
Thanks Crushzilla for checking on this, I don't recall having a week elapse before picking up a player from the waiver wire last year, I could be wrong, if I am, my fault.

Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he should be.
katk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Yeah, Ryan, we should really set it to like 2 days, or Monday night at midnight...

I'm in a league where we do it manually, via the message board, last place to first, to keep the league balanced...meaning, whoever is in last manually submits their FA requests, then 2nd to last, all the way up to first.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Yeah, Ryan, we should really set it to like 2 days, or Monday night at midnight...

I'm in a league where we do it manually, via the message board, last place to first, to keep the league balanced...meaning, whoever is in last manually submits their FA requests, then 2nd to last, all the way up to first.
Hmm. I fear the logistics of the latter option may end up being tricky.

It turns out that the waiver period in the AFC is 2 days. Rev, is that what you have?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
katk9
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2584

Quote:

It turns out that the waiver period in the AFC is 2 days. Rev, is that what you have?
The NFC waiver period is set at 7 days.

Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he should be.
katk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:

Is that what we are going with? Makes sense to me...

Yeah, the logistics of the other league are tricky, but you have a certain time frame in which to respond, and then you lose your pick. It has it's ups and downs. We only do it through Wednesday and then the waiver wires are open. It's mostly done to help keep the lower teams competitive and interested, so they don't bail...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion Revs, I'm good.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote