Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448
Default Offensive Line Power Struggle

Good Article from WPXI about Coach Tomlin's 2nd Camp...

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/17037714/detail.html

excerpt:
Quote:
According to right tackle Willie Colon, there was tension along the offensive line all season as All-Pro left guard Alan Faneca, now with the Jets, refused to implement some changes sought by new offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

Faneca's stubbornness created doubt among the younger linemen, who didn't know whether to follow a star player's lead or to do what was asked of them.

"Alan was a leader," Colon said. "Sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. We have to realize Alan is gone, coach Zierlein is the boss and that's how we have to approach it. ... It's a new year and a new ship and we have a lot of new guys on deck."
Interesting glimpse on an apparent power struggle last season between Coach Zeirlein and Alan Faneca. I guess now the line has got one plan, and one leader. Alan's the best lineman in the league, but I wonder if our line will actually play better without him.

One can only hope!
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Offensive Line Power Struggle

Alan is certainly a great player. I don't know if all his probowl appearences went to his head, but there seems to have been a real power struggle for coach Z.

His play will be hard to replace, but I think we will be better for it.

At least $40 million better anyway.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Once the season starts I think most will see that Alan gone from the line will be best for the team. I think he was unhappy before Tomlin came in. Faneca is a very good player and will be missed but yes I think he can be replaced and the Steelers will move on Like they did With other great guys like, Greg Loyd, Joey Porter, and others that could be named. I mentioned those guys because they did not have stellar careers after leaving the Steel City. Alan should fair much better but our O-line will improve much since he has departed. I actually wanted him to leave last year!!!
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

One Rotten Apple Spoils The Bunch.

He's a Jet now. I will pay attention to the guys that want to be playing Oline for the Steelers. Bottom line.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Again, it's an interesting dilemma:

Believe all the naysayers on a bunch of message boards that we are doomed because the FO failed to address a glaring weakness on a team that has traditionally almost always been right about it's offensive line, or trust the FO because they've traditionally been right about the offensive line and know 10,000 times more about the inner-workings of the team and it's OL than the entire fan base combined?

There was, and remains, too much talent, too much history and pedigree, too much of a proven track record to think that the OL is going to be anywhere near as awful as the "glass-half-fullers" would have us believe...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

The thing I find interesting is that alot of people are already counting us out of because, of last years oline play. Well that was last year we had alot of injuries and, as far as I'm concerned that was last year. This is a new year and, I'm not ready to crown the browns as afc champs. I still think the media who is clueless thinks if it looks good on paper it will come to be true. We all know just because, it looks good does not mean crap. I hope our whole team has a chip on it's shoulder the whole season. It seems when people doubt us the most we play the best.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I'm not counting the Steelers out...and I don't believe that all of the media pundits are counting them out either.

Yup, Browns fan said that.

However, kind of like our secondary has a lot to prove, so does your offensive line. Until it's shown consistent progress on the field, it's going to be talked down and brought up as a weak point. The fact that a weak offensive line is a stone-cold killer to an offense makes it much more difficult a flaw to overlook or compensate for. A weak secondary (particularly corners) can be covered better by scheme and a good passrush. At least, it's easier to compensate for a weak secondary than it is a weak O-line.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
I'm not counting the Steelers out...and I don't believe that all of the media pundits are counting them out either.

Yup, Browns fan said that.

However, kind of like our secondary has a lot to prove, so does your offensive line. Until it's shown consistent progress on the field, it's going to be talked down and brought up as a weak point. The fact that a weak offensive line is a stone-cold killer to an offense makes it much more difficult a flaw to overlook or compensate for. A weak secondary (particularly corners) can be covered better by scheme and a good passrush. At least, it's easier to compensate for a weak secondary than it is a weak O-line.
That is a fair assessment...

though I disagree about easier to compensate for a weak secondary.

In this league, ANY weak position will be murderous.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

A weak secondary exposes one portion of the defense. A good pass rush won't allow the QB to set his feet and make the throws and it doesn't have as much of an effect on run defense...though good rushing teams will still expose a one-dimensional defense.

A weak O-line exposes every aspect of the offense. That's the only reason why I give an edge to the weak secondary statement.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,951 Times in 4,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
A weak secondary exposes one portion of the defense. A good pass rush won't allow the QB to set his feet and make the throws and it doesn't have as much of an effect on run defense...though good rushing teams will still expose a one-dimensional defense.

A weak O-line exposes every aspect of the offense. That's the only reason why I give an edge to the weak secondary statement.
maybe a 'fair" assessment. but not a correct one.

saying the steelers offensive line is "weak" based soley on number of sacks given up, is like saying jerome bettis was weak based on his sub 4.0 YPC average.

whatever makes one feel better though...