Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #361
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Lets go Pitt Football!

I can't believe I am the first post after the game. Great game. Pitt was truly the better team. I'll give ND credit for fighting back against a banged up Pitt secondary. Pitt should break the BCS top ten this week.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #362
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Great game! Beating ND is always a treat!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #363
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Was a great game and never should have gotten as close as it did at the end. Pitt Dominated for most of the game making ND look slow, confused and out matched. If it wasn't for Golden on their team, they wouldn't even be considered a worthy opponent.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #364
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
no Big East teams are ranked in the top 25, what a weak conference!
Too bad you got banned so early into the season you pole smoking idiot.

Cincy # 5 in the BCS
Pitt # 9 in the BCS

That's 2 in the Top 10

Suck the Egg jackhole. Suck it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #365
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Too bad you got banned so early into the season you pole smoking idiot.

Cincy # 5 in the BCS
Pitt # 9 in the BCS

That's 2 in the Top 10

Suck the Egg jackhole. Suck it.
.........nice
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #366
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Should have made some bets with him about that....oh, wait. It's Steel Head....nevermind....
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #367
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Pitt announces non-conference shedule for next four seasons
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pitt announced its non-conference football schedules for the next four years. The most significant development is that Florida International was added to fill in next year's schedule:

• 2010: New Hampshire (Sept. 4), at Utah (Sept. 11), Miami, Fla. (Sept. 25), Florida International (Oct. 2), at Notre Dame (Oct. 9).

• 2011: Buffalo (Sept. 3), Maine (Sept. 10), at Iowa (Sept. 17), Notre Dame (Sept. 24), Utah (Oct. 15)

• 2012: TBA (Sept. 1), Central Florida (Sept. 8), Virginia Tech (Sept. 15), at Buffalo (Oct. 6), at Notre Dame (Nov. 3).

• 2013: Villanova (Aug. 31), at Virginia Tech (Sept. 14), N.C. State (Sept. 21), at Navy (Oct. 26) and Notre Dame (Nov. 9).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328...#ixzz0Xnd4AIK8

I hate that they are playing Div II Schools...makes me sick to my stomach actually.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #368
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Pitt thrives with conventional offense
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328...#ixzz0XndIReJb

Pitt and West Virginia have vastly different offensive systems, with one team using a more mainstream offense and the other a more unconventional offense.

But the interesting thing about that is this -- although West Virginia's read-option spread is considered innovative and new, it is more popular. Spread offenses are more common in college football than Pitt's traditional pro-style, power-running offense.

So much so that Dave Wannstedt said that preparing for the spread offenses might be easier than preparing for pro-style offenses because the former is so prevalent and the latter is becoming extinct, almost like the wishbone.

"We're definitely in the minority with what we are doing here. We're dinosaurs," Wannstedt said. "There are very few college teams using a fullback like we use him. We're running a pro-style offense. That's one comment that we get after playing opponents, that their defensive coaches express to our coaches afterwards, that they don't see our offense week in and week out.

"It is different, playing against a power attack. It all sounds good, but very few people are committed to it like we are."

Wannstedt may be overstating the case of his offense being unconventional a little bit, but not by much, particularly the part about using a fullback the way the Panthers do.

Pitt fullback Henry Hynoski is clearly a throwback kind of player -- in every sense of the word -- and he is used often in the role of a traditional blocking back, which in these days of empty-set spread offenses and one-back sets is clearly an outdated position.

But it wasn't that long ago that the pro-style offense was the conventional offense and the spread offenses were gimmicks.

That changed in the early part of the decade, in part because of the success had by people such as former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez running spread offenses. A quick glance around the country suggests that the spread is no longer a gimmick.

Just look at the Big East -- West Virginia, Syracuse, South Florida and Cincinnati are all spread formation teams.

Connecticut is the only Big East team other than Pitt that uses a fullback often.

Taking a look at the top 10 -- No. 1 Florida, No. 3 Texas, No. 4 TCU, No. 5 Boise State and No. 8 Oregon are spread teams, No. 7 Georgia Tech is a triple-option team and No. 10 Ohio State is trying to figure out a system to fit Terrelle Pryor's abilities.

Only two teams in the top 10 -- Pitt and No. 2 Alabama -- are traditional, pro-style offenses built on power running.

Wannstedt said that is much different than the landscape 10 years ago, but it is clearly the way college football was headed once it became clear there were a lot more athletes available than pro-style quarterbacks.

He was asked why he has resisted the movement to the spread or one of the other versions of the offenses that abound in college football, and he said that he is comfortable with his philosophy. He also believes it helps in recruiting because players are getting trained in an NFL-style system.

"I believe in what we do," Wannstedt said. "I know that you can be successful doing what we are doing. We recruit players to fit into our system. We're going to go out and recruit great running backs, great receivers, great tight ends and quarterbacks that can throw the ball. I think it helps our defense, too.

"Our defense has to be tough. Going against our offense all training camp and in spring practice, it's not finesse."
Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #369
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

THE BACKYARD BRAWL!!!

Pitt Football: Panthers' '07 win triggered changes

Pitt's 13-9 upset victory against No. 2 West Virginia at the end of the 2007 regular season might be considered the game that changed the college football landscape.

A theory goes as follows: Had West Virginia won (and thus had gone to the national championship game instead of Louisiana State), Rich Rodriguez would still be the Mountaineers' coach, or, at the very least, would not have left for Michigan a few weeks after that game.

Instead, LSU coach Les Miles would have taken the Michigan job (hours before the Southeastern Conference championship game, he had to debunk a report that he had accepted the Michigan post) and his defensive coordinator, Bo Pelini, would be the head coach at LSU now and not at Nebraska. Several other dominoes would have fallen differently as well.

While there is no way to prove or disprove any of that, there is no disputing that game changed Pitt's fortunes in more ways than even its coach, Dave Wannstedt, could name.

Tonight, ninth-ranked Pitt (9-1, 5-0 Big East) and West Virginia (7-3, 3-2) will meet in the 102nd edition of the Backyard Brawl at the same venue -- Mountaineer Field -- where the Panthers, as 29-point underdogs, shocked the college football world two years ago.

Wannstedt said that victory clearly was a turning point in his program. It is hard to argue that point when considering this: Pitt, under Wannstedt, was 15-19 leading up to that game, but 18-5 since.

"I think that win, when you look back on it, it gave us life," Wannstedt said. "That would be the way that I would classify it. By that I mean we had so many recruits that were right on the bubble, and it gave us an opportunity to get one more shot at these guys and to say [to them] that it will happen and to believe in us. I think it was energizing for our players.

"Winning that game, I can remember the first day of the off-season program in January. We had as much enthusiasm, from a team standpoint, to get started and to try to build on that for the next year, which was last year, as any. I'm sure just for our fans it was a shot in the arm, a little bit of hope.

"I really think it helped our program in several areas that today we look back on and probably it was the turning point since I've been here, without a doubt."

Wannstedt said an immediate benefit of that victory was that the Panthers got about eight commitments within the next week or two and that included commitments from a few players who were at the game on official visits with West Virginia.

"I remember going out there for pregame warm-ups, and the recruits were all lined up on the sidelines and I looked over and could see all of these kids that we were recruiting and that they were recruiting," Wannstedt said. "Two or three of those kids that were right there [at the game] committed with us."

Wannstedt did not name the players he was referring to, but it has been well-documented that redshirt freshmen defensive end Shayne Hale and wide receiver Cameron Saddler, two Gateway High School graduates, were swayed by that game.

Saddler has told the story about how he was on an official visit to West Virginia that weekend but walked off the field with Pitt's players and went to their locker room. Pitt also picked up a commitment from receiver Mike Shanahan of Norwin -- who chose Pitt instead of West Virginia -- shortly after the game.

"That game put us on the map," said defensive tackle Mick Williams. "You can believe that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331...#ixzz0Y4bbaVSu

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331...#ixzz0Y4bXiKI5
Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #370
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Should be a great game tonight. Im not a Eer fan but do enjoy this game. Actually Ill be wearing my Pitt hoodie today. Its snowing and in the 30's Great football weather.