Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942
Default Re: Offensive Line Set?

well, you kinda gotta know who david blaine is ... I watched it, and it was pretty funny. but definitely stupid as well.

If you haven't seen D. Blaine or watched any of his shit, and all you've heard is "david blaine is really good at magic", then it probably would not be funny to you at all.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Hartwig at C, Mahan and Starks for depth (I think 7 million, while not ideal, for depth for one year isn't horrible...at least it's not long-term money) and Essex being able to play multiple positions, and Stapleton for insurance at C, I think even if we get hit with a minor injury bug, it won't be the end of the World.
Question now is who is our 9 that gets kept?? I cant see going 10 deep on the O line with a KR like Drummond probably being kept.

Smith, Colon, Starks, Hills at OT

Simmons, Kemo, Hartwig, Mahan, Essex....or Stapleton?? on the inside??

I think Essex, Stapleton, Hills, Capizzi are on the bubble and only 2 of those 4 make the team.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
well, you kinda gotta know who david blaine is ... I watched it, and it was pretty funny. but definitely stupid as well.

If you haven't seen D. Blaine or watched any of his shit, and all you've heard is "david blaine is really good at magic", then it probably would not be funny to you at all.
Have seen the D. Blaine street magic stuff and getting buried in a glass box stunt. I like stupid comedy like bad Will Ferrell stunts, Borat, even old school Steve Martin or "Friday's from the 80's". Still didnt find this funny..... I dont want my 2 min back, just wont get fooled again.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think Essex, Stapleton, Hills, Capizzi are on the bubble and only 2 of those 4 make the team.
Apparently Capizzi injured his foot and is no longer in the running. My guess is that Hills may not make the active roster and we'll have to chance losing him on the way to the practice squad. I haven't read anything positive about him yet. Seems that maybe he needs a year in the weight room before he can make the team.

Stapleton and maybe Essex have the "position flexibility" that Tomlin goes for.
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
Apparently Capizzi injured his foot and is no longer in the running. My guess is that Hills may not make the active roster and we'll have to chance losing him on the way to the practice squad. I haven't read anything positive about him yet. Seems that maybe he needs a year in the weight room before he can make the team.

I know, but that is why I was a fan of letting Starks walk. Then there is room for Hills who would be a 2nd year guy with value next season and I think the coaches think he has upside.

The other doubtful move is that Stapleton outperforms Mahan and then the backups at OG are Stapleton and Essex, with Essex also being able to backup at OT in a pinch.

Mahan being cut after 2 training camps???? Doubtful....but if the team truly doesnt take contract size into evaluations, like having Starks as a $7mil backup, then why not release Mahan if he is your #3 center and #4 OG?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Mahan being cut after 2 training camps???? Doubtful....but if the team truly doesnt take contract size into evaluations, like having Starks as a $7mil backup, then why not release Mahan if he is your #3 center and #4 OG?
Good point why have him around if that is the case.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #17
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Zierlein on the Steelers’ offensive line: “We’re pretty well set…”

Chalk this one up to the land of “WHAT?!?!”

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line coach, Larry Zierlein seems to think the offensive line is good to go. In a statement yesterday, he has declared that the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line is pretty much ready to go:

“We’re pretty well set,” Zierlein said. “We’ll see what happens with the center thing once we get into the preseason games. But I’d have to say we’re pretty well set.”

Larry Zierlein has to be charging up his troops. He has to be, because if he isn’t, I’ll be leading the charge to fire him.

Zeirlein alluded to a battle at the center position between Justin Hartwig, and Sean Mahan. I know I’ve said it before here, several times, but I’m going to say it one more time. Sean Mahan is horrible. This isn’t any revelation. Mahan gave up 6 1/2 sacks last season at center, which for those that don’t pay attention to the NFL, is a whole lot. Most centers are well under five sacks for the season, with the good ones not giving up any. Many fault Kendall Simmons for having a bad year. A good case could be made that it was Mahan’s fault.

The center position for the Steelers rarely requires a one-on-one blocking situation. Mahan proved that he couldn’t handle helping out, and got blasted if more than four rushed the quarterback. Teams had field days confusing the over-matched Steelers’ center. Larry Zierlein has decided that this is where the competition is.

Justin Hartwig is either horrid, or Larry Zierlein is living in a fantasy land.

It looks as though Max Starks has become a seven million dollar backup to both guard position. It looks as though Chris Kemoeatu has the job locked up, injury or not. Apparently, Kendall Simmons just had an ‘off year.’ Obviously they don’t think it was Mahan, so it must have been Simmons coming off of some injury issues. Marvel Smith is apparently a guarantee to be healthy again.

Colon has been getting manhandled by LaMarr Woodley during camp. Granted, Woodley may be about to blast into stardom, but that doesn’t bode well for a guy that many are describing as an animal. Woodley’s been spotted not only bulling over Colon, but going right around him. That doesn’t bode well for a right tackle position that appears ’set’ already. Combine that with Max Starks, who apparently has come into camp trim, and ready to reclaim his old job, and you really have a head scratcher. Colon took his frustration out on Keyaron Fox, as reports had the two going toe-to-toe.

Then you have Kemoeatu, who is as unproven as they come. I want him to be an all-pro, just like the rest, but I’m not sure I’m ready to give him the job before he’s even practiced!

Top it all off with rumblings that Alan Faneca didn’t listen to a thing that Zierlein said last year (and had some support from the other linemen) because he believed Russ Grimm’s techniques were much more sound, and you have the potential of a major unhinging of an already questionable offensive line. Of course, they are calling Zierlein the boss, for now.

To seemingly lock this thinking into place, the Steelers released offensive tackle Jason Capizzi, who had a foot injury that might require surgery and was keeping him from practicing. The Steelers reached an injury settlement with Capizzi, and was released to make room on the roster.

It’s distinctly possible that Larry Zierlein is making off-the-cuff statements three days into camp to fire up his offensive line, that has struggled for the past two seasons at keeping arguably their most prized possession, Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, off the turf. Of course, he’s yet to show the type of creativity to do any such thing.

Yes Steel Tradition readers, rest easy.

The Steelers offensive line is “…pretty well set…”

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/...etty-well-set/
Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Zierlein on the Steelers’ offensive line: “We’re pretty well set…”

Ehh, whatever.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post

Stress fracture in his foot. It will require surgery.
Apparently he had the injury in the spring and it has returned. According to the PG he reached an agreement for his release.

He seems like a good guy that has bounced around practice squads. Just can't seem to get over the hump. Now another set back.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,379 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Zierlein on the Steelers’ offensive line: “We’re pretty well set…”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Ehh, whatever.

Exactly. Gee, if I start a blog, will that make me an expert too?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote