Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
I personally wasn't on the board back then.
My problem with Smith isn't his agressiveness. It's his lack of discipline and lack respect for DL. ( the TRUE defensive genius, not that pseudogenius beliprick ).
Smith has potential, but what good is potential if the kid isn't a team player?
People with his personality usually end up on the wrong side of the law at some point. It's just a matter of time.
I hope he gets his shyte together!

Undisciplined? Agreed. My point was that the kid didn't start catching stick about disrespecting LeBeau until AFTER he screwed the pooch in the Patriots game.

Nary a word about "disrespecting LeBeau" right after this happened, in fact, most of the blame for this seemed to land in Cowher's lap:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13352

Which underscores the larger point I was trying to make: attitudes in Steelers Nation toward Smith have done a complete 180 largely, if not wholly, due to the Patriots game last year.

As far as getting in trouble with the law, that's pretty presumptuous - IMO, the biggest locker room cancers/non-team players in the league are T.O. and Chad Johnson, and neither one of them have ever run afoul of the law to my knowledge.

Last edited by fansince'76; 08-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Undisciplined? Agreed. My point was that the kid didn't start catching stick about disrespecting LeBeau until AFTER he screwed the pooch in the Patriots game.

Nary a word about "disrespecting LeBeau" right after this happened, in fact, most of the blame for this seemed to land in Cowher's lap:

Which underscores the larger point I was trying to make: attitudes in Steelers Nation toward Smith have done a complete 180 largely, if not wholly, due to the Patriots game last year.

As far as getting in trouble with the law, that's pretty presumptuous - IMO, the biggest locker room cancers/non-team players in the league are T.O. and Chad Johnson, and neither one of them have ever run afoul of the law to my knowledge.
Oh COME ONE FS...

Don't skip THIS thread!
http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=greene

Just look at how these two are PRAISED in this thread, REGARDLESS of that fact that they KEPT disrespecting and COMPLETELY ignoring the HEAD COACH.

Talk about mercurial fans...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

panthers steve smith kicked the ass of yet another teammate today (bloodied his face and had him carted to the field). but hes a pro bowler. the fans love him.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
panthers steve smith kicked the ass of yet another teammate today (bloodied his face and had him carted to the field). but hes a pro bowler. the fans love him.
Amazing isn't it.

All I want from people is consistancy. Either A-Smith is wrong... and so was Greene and Lloyd and ALL were bad elements when it came to discipline...

Or they are all freight-train hitters who should be praised.

The rules don't change just because one of them mouthed off to the reporter before a game.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Anthony Smith is a young and talented player who still needs to learn some things...I'm not ready to say cut the guy...Its not like he is laying out Big Ben...lol....Waving off one of your coaches is a problem...But can we really say that he did....I wasn't there at practice....If he was that big of a problem I would think the Steelers brass wouldn't stand for it....

Ok say Smith is cut.......That leaves Tyrone Carter and Ryan Mundy as the backups at S.......I'm hoping Mundy beats out Carter...So cutting Smith would create a huge depth problem at the position...Especially if Troy is banged up again all year...Plus Ryan Clark is also coming back from serious injury....Cutting Smith wouldn't be a wise move at all....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

Can't remember if I lauded him or not. But I know this, anytime someone let's their mouths write checks their ass can't cash they will almost always lose respect. Especially if at the same time they are disrespecting their coaches wishes.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
Can't remember if I lauded him or not. But I know this, anytime someone let's their mouths write checks their ass can't cash they will almost always lose respect. Especially if at the same time they are disrespecting their coaches wishes.
That didn't happen however...

Please go back and watch or the the ACTUAL dialog between Smith and the Reporter.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he was just shooing away a bee.

he hates bees, wasps, and hornets.

"how can something so small hurt so bad? whats up with that?"

in fact he hates jerry seinfeld for starring in "the bee movie".
Oh, I heard he was just asking for a water break. Don't want to get cramps...

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool

I understand perfectly what Smith intended. But in today's game what is intended and what is perceived by the fans and media are two totally different things. So you get this situation we have now. Smith trying to prove he's a bad ass and going against the no contact rule. Which in turn is starting to have an ill effect on the fans.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
I understand perfectly what Smith intended. But in today's game what is intended and what is perceived by the fans and media are two totally different things. So you get this situation we have now. Smith trying to prove he's a bad ass and going against the no contact rule. Which in turn is starting to have an ill effect on the fans.
Which leads me back to the conclusion of my original comment in the thread....

Quote:
Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote