Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter
 
RoethlisBURGHer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Clowns Town,Ohio
Posts: 5,941
Member Number: 370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

I'll admit, last year I liked the fact that he did it. Last year he was trying to impress the new boss and last year Tomlin held a tough training camp. Tomlin asked for it to be more physical last year.

This year however, I have read that Tomlin isn't going to be as much of a hardass. He'll still want a physical camp, but no contact means no contact. I am pretty sure he laid this out to the players before the started practicing. Smith however, seems to not care about what the coaches want.

Also, my biggest problem with this is him waiving off LeBeau. If he keeps doing this, he'll find himself in the doghouse or cut. I don't remember reading about him waiving off his coaches last year...if he did I wouldn't have liked it then when I was higher on him.

IMHO, he regressed this past season from his rookie year. Instead if being in nickel and dime packages, he was asked to be a starter and he wasn't up to it.
__________________

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter
 
43Hitman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 5,912
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1251
Thanks: 3,012
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Which leads me back to the conclusion of my original comment in the thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76
Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."




I agree that would be a wise idea. Hopefully he learned something from it.
__________________


"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #23
OneForTheToe
Living Legend
 
OneForTheToe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Steeler Nation
Posts: 3,360
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

I don't think you cut A Smith. However, I do think he has to start showing some majority on and off the field (not a choir boy just progress) if he is to be in the long-term plans of the Steelers. Yes, the guy can hit. But at this point, I wouldn't trust him with the game on the line to either make the smart play, or to not take the unnecessary shot at the opponent costing the Steelers 15 yards at a crucial moment.

As for comparing Greene and Lloyd to Smith, I don't think that gets us anywhere. In a perfect world the same standards would apply to every player. However, that is not how things work. Greene and Lloyd (and Porter) were Pro Bowl caliber players. You get more leeway when you have already proven yourself as opposed to only having one int and a couple of big hits on your resume. Porter and Lloyd often opened their yaps but their collective butts covered the check their mouths wrote most of the time. I'm sorry, ... I haven't given up on the kid, but thus far, IMO, Anthony Smith hasn't earned the right to have an attitude about himself.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I'll admit, last year I liked the fact that he did it. Last year he was trying to impress the new boss and last year Tomlin held a tough training camp. Tomlin asked for it to be more physical last year.

This year however, I have read that Tomlin isn't going to be as much of a hardass. He'll still want a physical camp, but no contact means no contact. I am pretty sure he laid this out to the players before the started practicing. Smith however, seems to not care about what the coaches want.

Also, my biggest problem with this is him waiving off LeBeau. If he keeps doing this, he'll find himself in the doghouse or cut. I don't remember reading about him waiving off his coaches last year...if he did I wouldn't have liked it then when I was higher on him.

IMHO, he regressed this past season from his rookie year. Instead if being in nickel and dime packages, he was asked to be a starter and he wasn't up to it.
I am not sure if he regressed...

He just got caught in typical mistakes... Read the run play faster than he did hte first year, so he comes up to stop it... and opens himself up for a play-action.

Not regression, his reads are faster, now he needs the experience to not always trust his first read.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #25
Mill Write
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Member Number: 8844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Direct and correct unswer---dunno---but doesnt't look like it. Forget about cutting him--he's a player and gots potential. Good press outta "Cuse, got early attention with highlite hits.

HOWEVER, Since that post-interception hotdogging, when LeBeau got in his face, rightfully, for conduct unbecoming a Stiller, he got on my radar in a negative way. Subsequent mistakes and mis-steps--more hotdogging, blown plays, penalties--began to attract my attention in that negative light.

Thus, when Ryun Clark went down, two things bothered me. 1. There was virtually no concern expressed for him on the boards personally or team-wise. 2. There was near elation at the prospect of Anthony starting permanently.

I expressed my skepticism concerning the kid on a dearly departed board, expressing the opinion that he appeared to have a case of "knuckleheaditis". Sadly, my appraisal has been confirmed.

Yes, he was misquoted/setup by the reporter. But, as the saying goes, "It was not his fault, but still his responsibility." The Patriot game? Yes, unfortunate kid-like mistake, but it had to be dealt with.

Now, the latest, opening of Camp incident with Reid? Yes, not that bigga deal. The sport is tough and aggressiveness a premium. Like a previous poster said "It wasn't Ben---lol" HOWEVER, What if it was Ben? Or, more realistically, blowing Santonio's ACL, hurting an older more brittle Hines in a hundred different ways, or breaking Heath Millers hand?

Bottom line, I like the kid's hitting and potential. But it's on him to start showing he's not a kid, specifically by showing he can learn from mistakes and be a man.

Hines was a man when he was about six. Ben was a man the night he stepped under center in a Miami hurricane. Troy? Wille Parker? Dare I say, even Ike? Look how these guys have dealt with development, and then both prosperity and adversity.

It ain't the end of the world, but I'd love for Anthony Smith to show me something. He ain't done it yet. As far as I'm concerned, he's on double-secret probation. Pleased as punch that Clark is back.
Mill Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
I don't think so many people have judged him by one bad gaem , but his oppurtunity to play came the end of last year and he showed he is alot of talk and not much of a safety. He tackles strong, but fails in coverage, which defines alot of safeties in the league.
Fails in coverage? Really? DId you forget all the passes he broke up the year before?

He had a couple bad games, at a time when the rest of the team was also breaking down.

I am starting to think the Steeler-national past-time is who can flush the entire team down the toilet first... one player at a time.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #27
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,650
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 284
Thanked 1,381 Times in 500 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill Write View Post
Direct and correct unswer---dunno---but doesnt't look like it. Forget about cutting him--he's a player and gots potential. Good press outta "Cuse, got early attention with highlite hits.

HOWEVER, Since that post-interception hotdogging, when LeBeau got in his face, rightfully, for conduct unbecoming a Stiller, he got on my radar in a negative way. Subsequent mistakes and mis-steps--more hotdogging, blown plays, penalties--began to attract my attention in that negative light.

Thus, when Ryun Clark went down, two things bothered me. 1. There was virtually no concern expressed for him on the boards personally or team-wise. 2. There was near elation at the prospect of Anthony starting permanently.

I expressed my skepticism concerning the kid on a dearly departed board, expressing the opinion that he appeared to have a case of "knuckleheaditis". Sadly, my appraisal has been confirmed.

Yes, he was misquoted/setup by the reporter. But, as the saying goes, "It was not his fault, but still his responsibility." The Patriot game? Yes, unfortunate kid-like mistake, but it had to be dealt with.

Now, the latest, opening of Camp incident with Reid? Yes, not that bigga deal. The sport is tough and aggressiveness a premium. Like a previous poster said "It wasn't Ben---lol" HOWEVER, What if it was Ben? Or, more realistically, blowing Santonio's ACL, hurting an older more brittle Hines in a hundred different ways, or breaking Heath Millers hand?

Bottom line, I like the kid's hitting and potential. But it's on him to start showing he's not a kid, specifically by showing he can learn from mistakes and be a man.

Hines was a man when he was about six. Ben was a man the night he stepped under center in a Miami hurricane. Troy? Wille Parker? Dare I say, even Ike? Look how these guys have dealt with development, and then both prosperity and adversity.

It ain't the end of the world, but I'd love for Anthony Smith to show me something. He ain't done it yet. As far as I'm concerned, he's on double-secret probation. Pleased as punch that Clark is back.
Finally, a critique I can agree with. One that doesn't sugarcoat the flaws that exist in Smith's game, but one that doesn't throw him completely under the bus either. Welcome to the board!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Finally, a critique I can agree with. One that doesn't sugarcoat the flaws that exist in Smith's game, but one that doesn't throw him completely under the bus either. Welcome to the board!

Sure is nice to hear someone think through the criticism instead of just overreaction and overgeneralizing.

Unlike some of these jewels we have heard around here about some players.... He sucks... trade him... cut him... Why? Cause he looked at me wrong! Cause he said my nephew didn't have the proper female body parts (censored) because he said blah blah blah.....
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #29
9-5
Banned
 
9-5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cleveland part 2 aka Columbus OH-IO!!!
Posts: 119
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

Anthony Smith is a dirty, arrogant, punk. You don't just "wave off" a hall of fame coordinator like he did. I got news for you, Dick LeBeau is way better then you will ever be, dude. Not to mention he has been in the league since before you were born. Show some respect!!!
9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
ricksteelers55
Team Captain
 
ricksteelers55's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 826
Member Number: 3104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith maturing?

I will tell you this...A-Smith is not as bad as a lot of people say he is.The reason why we say he isnt playin well is because of his attitude problem and like a lot of you said earlier,he doesnt deserve to have an attitude when you're not a Pro Bowler,hell I'd even say he doesnt deserve to have an attitude when you wear black n gold.

But honestly,do we really cut Smith before Carter? I think I'd put Jeff Reed in before Carter if it was a close game.

Let's say this....Smith has to bring his game to another level this year or his first contract might be his last with the steelers.

Still have some faith in the guy just want him to realize that he has the tools to be something but he also has to be a team player not only a selfplayer
__________________
Decent Steelers Tickets on ebay: 300 $
Going to Pittsburgh for a Steelers Game: 8 hours
Cheering for the world's champion: Priceless
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts