Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: The Coaches Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
If OSU beats USC it shouldn't be too long before OSU is ranked #1 yet again. OSU-USC will be a heck of a game as a possible BCS championship matchup and a highly likely Rose Bowl matchup.
Illinois certainly has the potential to falter and fail to duplicate the success unless their good players from last year wasn't just our 1st round steal.
Georgia will have to lose for that to happen. Who exactly do you see them losing to?
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Only teams I could see Georgia losing to is Florida or LSU. I just think that UGA will be the next SEC team to make the national championship game.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Here is the USA Today Coaches Poll for the upcoming season:

1. Georgia (22) 0-0 1,438
2. USC (14) 0-0 1,430
3. Ohio State (14) 0-0 1,392
4. Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1,329
5. Florida (5) 0-0 1,293
6. LSU (3) 0-0 1,163
7. Missouri 0-0 1,143
8. West Virginia 0-0 1,008
9. Clemson 0-0 999
10. Texas 0-0 979
11. Auburn 0-0 888
12. Wisconsin 0-0 747
13. Kansas 0-0 714
14. Texas Tech 0-0 644
15. Virginia Tech 0-0 568
16. Arizona State 0-0 560
17. Brigham Young 0-0 547
18. Tennessee 0-0 506
19. Illinois 0-0 422
20. Oregon 0-0 399
21. South Florida 0-0 350
22. Penn State 0-0 313
23. Wake Forest 0-0 203
24. Michigan 0-0 112
25. Fresno State 0-0 91
Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

Woohooo Georgia has won the championship.... all they have to do is remain undefeated... regardless of whether ANY of the other teams do the same.

I hate the college football system.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Only teams I could see Georgia losing to is Florida or LSU. I just think that UGA will be the next SEC team to make the national championship game.
Well since Georgia is a historic CHOKE artist...I could see them losing in the desert to Arizona State. If not, LSU, Florida and Auburn should all be tough wins. Remember, Florida is pssssed off about the touchdown celebration last season that Georgia pulled off when the entire team ran into the endzone and got 2 15yard penatlies...Florida has this game circled big time.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Preacher, I thinks we need a tournament!

Mild surprise to see my Wolverines ranked. HAppy to see my 1A Panthers getting some respect!

Michigan is going to be boom or bust this year... For some reason I can see them winning 3-4 games max, or something clicking and them winning about 8-9...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
Preacher, I thinks we need a tournament!

Mild surprise to see my Wolverines ranked. HAppy to see my 1A Panthers getting some respect!

Michigan is going to be boom or bust this year... For some reason I can see them winning 3-4 games max, or something clicking and them winning about 8-9...
Absolutely.

Every other sport has one. And I don't wanna hear about how much "tougher" football is. A four week tournament is exactly what is called for.. with the final game on New Years day... with all the other bowl games even.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Absolutely.

Every other sport has one. And I don't wanna hear about how much "tougher" football is. A four week tournament is exactly what is called for.. with the final game on New Years day... with all the other bowl games even.
If every other level in football can, so can D1
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Woohooo Georgia has won the championship.... all they have to do is remain undefeated... regardless of whether ANY of the other teams do the same.

I hate the college football system.
If Oklahoma and either USC/OSU goes undefeated crushing their competition, they could possibly pass up Georgia. Unlikely, because of the SEC hype...but possible.

However, they do need to figure out a tournament. Either a 4 or 8 team style tournament with the finals played at a neutral site. (Too man bowl games feature one of the teams basically having a home game.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Absolutely.

16-32 Teams is what I would call for. Sure people are going to say, oh it will take away from their study times. BALONEY! It's a fact, but again, it's no excuse. If you're going to say that about Division I College Football, you might as well say that about D I-AA, D II, D III, High School, etc. Basketball Players miss more class time then Football players do. Football teams only have 1 game a week(AND THEY HAPPEN ON WEEKENDS. Give me a number of college kids that actually would study on a weekend. I can probably tell you it would be pretty low). The average Basketball team has at least 2-3 games per week. Sometimes less, sometimes even more. (AND THEY HAVE GAMES ON ANY NIGHT OF THE WEEK).

How my own 16 team playoff format would work would be:

*Each of the major(ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big XII, Pac 10, SEC) conference's champion get an automatic birth
*The Conference Runners up of each conference mentioned above get in
*4 other teams would fight to be at larges
*Have each BCS bowl(Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta) act like a region.
*All Games at neutral sites

Under this format each team would have to play and win 4 games to win the National championship.

How a 32 team would work
*Each of the major(ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big XII, Pac 10, SEC) conference's champion get an automatic birth
*The Conference Runners up and 3rd Place team of each conference mentioned above get in
*14 At Larges after that are up for grabs
*Have each BCS Bowl Act as a region.
*All Games at Neutral Sites(EXCEPTION:First Round goes to campus sites)

Under this format each team would have to play and win 5 games to win the national championship.

Take some of the teams with winning records and have them play in bowl games like they do in D I-AA.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Georgia will lose a game this year: Bank it. And I can't say for certain it will even be against a top-tier team. They choke once a year like clockwork. But if they win out does anyone think they DON'T deserve to play for the NC? They are traveling to ASU (which isn't quite USC in LA) but it's nice to see SEC on the road against top 25 competition anyway.

I don't have any big problems with the rest of the rankings. It's a long season, and a couple of these teams will falter while a couple bubble teams will excel. That's what I love about College football...