Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
DuceOnTheLoose
Water Boy

Member Number: 830
Default Tough Loss

Well today was a heartbreaker. I got a chance to watch the game in the final 6 minutes of regulation time. Say here what the Steelers could have done better to win. I think they should have blocked better I mean cmon 7 sacks in a game? Way too many...
DuceOnTheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
SteelersFever
Founder

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Tough Loss

Not showed up.
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
AvoidLLoyd95
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 768

I agree. Everyone is crucifying Maddox for the loss, but the O-Line needs to at least block some. I think they got used to Ben being able to scramble and not the immobile Maddox back there. He didn't play terrible today. He had no time to throw it. I will say though, we need Ben back NOW!

95 ways to get your ass kicked!
AvoidLLoyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Tres Essex played okay, but he was in his first game. The O-line did an okay job considering that Baltimore overloaded the line almost every single play, and why not? It helps them against the run, and Maddox was just awful.

The defining play of the game for me was the 4th and 1 when the Steelers called the pass play and Tommy missed not just one, but TWO WIDE OPEN receivers and instead, through indecision, held the ball and took a sack.

If you have a QB who can't hit wide open receivers on a play that is designed to have two wide open receivers by surprise, you will not win your football game. It's almost like Tommy was surprised the receivers were open. That's not a good sign.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I was hoping Cowher would have put Randle El in at QB after half time.

There was probably a better chance of hitting the Mega-Million Lotto than that happening.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

The O-line did play bad, but when Tommy did get a chance to throw he made those same decisions that killed us against Jacksonville. I will admit he didn't play as bad as Jacksonville, but he still needs to go.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I agree that Tommy Maddox is certainly not starter quality in the NFL - I guess that is why he is back up.

How many other teams have decent options as their no.2 QB?

The answer is probably not many at all - look at the talent that is STARTING for the following teams-

Bears
Ravens
Bills
Dolphins
Cleveland

The QB's for these teams are barely back-up quality - but all these teams have managed to eek out some wins this year becasue they have been able to use their other talents to counter-act poor QB play.

For the last 4/5 weeks the Steelers have been walking a tightrope - and this week they fell off.

Instead of laying it all on Tommy maybe you should be looking at other areas of concern.

O-Line
D-Line
Opposition 3rd down and long conversions
Your own running game
Plodding, predictable coaching

Unless Staley comes back the Steelers running game is looking a little over-rated - Fast Willie is not a starter yet and Bettis looks out of gas.

As I said in the game thread - this win may well be a blessing in disguise and may lift the Steelers out of the rut they have fallen into.

I will be cheering you guys on against the Colts - even if that may be a bad thing for the Pats in the long run!

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Good post LITP. O-line definitely needs to step it up no doubt there. 3rd down defense seems like our worst thing. At times it seems like we just can't stop them. Running game wasn't impressive today, but our O-line wasn't as well. I think next year our running game will need a good look at with Bettis probably retiring and Staley being injury prone.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I agree that Tommy Maddox is certainly not starter quality in the NFL - I guess that is why he is back up.

How many other teams have decent options as their no.2 QB?

The answer is probably not many at all - look at the talent that is STARTING for the following teams-

Bears
Ravens
Bills
Dolphins
Cleveland

The QB's for these teams are barely back-up quality - but all these teams have managed to eek out some wins this year becasue they have been able to use their other talents to counter-act poor QB play.

For the last 4/5 weeks the Steelers have been walking a tightrope - and this week they fell off.

Instead of laying it all on Tommy maybe you should be looking at other areas of concern.

O-Line
D-Line
Opposition 3rd down and long conversions
Your own running game
Plodding, predictable coaching

Unless Staley comes back the Steelers running game is looking a little over-rated - Fast Willie is not a starter yet and Bettis looks out of gas.

As I said in the game thread - this win may well be a blessing in disguise and may lift the Steelers out of the rut they have fallen into.

I will be cheering you guys on against the Colts - even if that may be a bad thing for the Pats in the long run!

Cheers

NM
Pretty clear you didn't watch the game. Oline played okay, but Tommy held the ball too long. Dline will never be a problem, especially when they are making tackles. You may want to check the game stats before you make uncharacteristically wrong comments on this one (3rd and long make sure you remove the 2 phantom penalties)

3rd down conversions were down, especially when you eliminate the officiated oriented ones. As for the coaching, it was anything but plodding or predictable.

Sorry, Ian...your old standby's dont work anymore.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Pretty clear you didn't watch the game. Oline played okay, but Tommy held the ball too long. Dline will never be a problem, especially when they are making tackles. You may want to check the game stats before you make uncharacteristically wrong comments on this one (3rd and long make sure you remove the 2 phantom penalties)

3rd down conversions were down, especially when you eliminate the officiated oriented ones. As for the coaching, it was anything but plodding or predictable.

Sorry, Ian...your old standby's dont work anymore.
You are quite correct I didnt see the full Pittsburgh game today.

I dont see how the D-line can be playing well with all those 3rd and longs getting completed (over the seasons length) at potentially crucial times.

My comments were based on the performance of the team over the majority of the season - they have struggled to put poor teams away with any degree of confidence.

After the first 3 games Willie Parker has been MIA - which is to be expected - he is still learning the game but no-one else has consistently run the ball hard.

The O-Line has not been great - the Pats D-line looked like world beaters against them - it was only Bens excellent mobility that saved HIM from 7 sacks in that game.

The constant passing became just as predictable as the constant running of previous games - Cowher quite obviously decided to open up the pass (the unexpected) early and often - but when it was clearly failing and the line were unable to protect Maddox - he refused to change tack.

Regardless of how '3rd down conversions may be down' maybe we should look at the numbers in the context of the paucity of the oppositions offense - the Steelers have played some terrible offenses this year.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote