Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts
Default Re: Tough Loss

steelers running game over rated? steelers have been a top running team for 30+ years! no one has said theyre the best this year and last year they were (if youre counting rb's and not a running qb)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
You are quite correct I didnt see the full Pittsburgh game today.

I dont see how the D-line can be playing well with all those 3rd and longs getting completed (over the seasons length) at potentially crucial times.

My comments were based on the performance of the team over the majority of the season - they have struggled to put poor teams away with any degree of confidence.

After the first 3 games Willie Parker has been MIA - which is to be expected - he is still learning the game but no-one else has consistently run the ball hard.

The O-Line has not been great - the Pats D-line looked like world beaters against them - it was only Bens excellent mobility that saved HIM from 7 sacks in that game.

The constant passing became just as predictable as the constant running of previous games - Cowher quite obviously decided to open up the pass (the unexpected) early and often - but when it was clearly failing and the line were unable to protect Maddox - he refused to change tack.

Regardless of how '3rd down conversions may be down' maybe we should look at the numbers in the context of the paucity of the oppositions offense - the Steelers have played some terrible offenses this year.

Cheers

NM
Really...I should just walk away, but I can't.

Tommy is done and he lost this game just like he lost the Jacksonville game. We have 2 losses directly attributed to Maddox.

Ben has two losses in his entire career. Both are NE. I'd love to see Ben win a Super Bowl while laying waste to NE, Indy, and the Eagles..
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

This performance may not have been as bad, but still was mostly on him. He is making horrible pass choices and seems almost nervous back there.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #14
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Tommy played bad....period. He held the ball too long, made bad reads, made bad throws. Yes he didn't have a ton of time, but also didn't read his hot routes.....just bad play.

The 3rd down D played well today. LITP, I'm suprised you'd comment on that based on today's game, if you read the stats, it might have been one of their best games this season based on 3rd down stats.

Willy, I thought ran well.....when given the chance.

The O Line, IMO, takes the most blame here. They played awful, as a group. I'm not singling out Essex or Starks because we had multiple breakdowns indside with Faneca, Hartings, and Simmons...as a group, they played awful.

That being said....WHY didn't Cowher do something to negate that? El can avoid a rush.....Ben can avoid a rush.....gesh...why not even TRY something like that.

This was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched as a Steeler fan. To me, it was so noticeable what needed to be done...either negate their rush by holding more in, or get a freaking QB that can escape the pressure (which we had options)....sadly, we so neither today.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #15
Prosdo
Banned

Maddox seemed like he froze back there when he got a lot of pressure. I don't know I guess maybe I'm so use to Ben escaping it.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

We need to stay healthy and make a long run from here on out. This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams. Granted we are playing not at full strength but come on. 15-1 last year with injuries?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #17
Prosdo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid LLoyd1975
We need to stay healthy and make a long run from here on out. This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams. Granted we are playing not at full strength but come on. 15-1 last year with injuries?
I agree. We could have won this game and we actually had a good chance, but too many mistakes prevented that.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Trai Essex did OK today, but by no means did he do well. Both of the passes that were deflected and floated like a dead duck were from Tommy's blind side... Trai's side...

I don't see why people get on our D-Line, It's a 3-4 defense, the LB are supposed to make the plays, and each member of our DL came away with a sack today. We need Farrior back, Kriewaldt's no starter, and we need to start subbing in Harrison for Porter and Haggans cause he's the future of the Steeler's pass rush.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #19
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoid LLoyd1975
This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams.
Hey, don't forget, the Ravens were picked by many people to be division contendors. They don't have an awful team. They have a few injuries (Lewis and Reed) but still have a very stout defense, so give them a little bit of respect for playing their tails off against us!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #20
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
Trai Essex did OK today, but by no means did he do well. Both of the passes that were deflected and floated like a dead duck were from Tommy's blind side... Trai's side...

I don't see why people get on our D-Line, It's a 3-4 defense, the LB are supposed to make the plays, and each member of our DL came away with a sack today. We need Farrior back, Kriewaldt's no starter, and we need to start subbing in Harrison for Porter and Haggans cause he's the future of the Steeler's pass rush.
Dude, are you kidding me.....Kreidwalt played AWESOME today!!!! I love big Jim, but I don't see him making any difference in today's game, Clint played a helluva game!

Harrion did sub in for Porter, about every 3rd play actually. But, once he got that PF called on for roughing the passer, he didn't see much PT, which I thought was a really bad read on the steeler coaching staff. Although I thought Porter played a fairly good game (given his history with Ogden).