Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Coach Zierlein can finally coach?

I found this article surprising

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_580312.html

With Faneca gone, Zierlein takes charge

It's not that Larry Zierlein received a promotion this offseason. His job title remains offensive line coach of the Steelers.

But with a year under his belt in that capacity and with Alan Faneca having sold his services to the New York Jets, Zierlein can actually coach the unit he oversees this season.

That's gotta help a team that surrendered 47 sacks a season ago.

"Alan's gone ... Coach Zierlein is the boss now," offensive tackle Willie Colon said upon reporting to St. Vincent College this week.

The obvious inference was that Coach Zierlein was not the boss a year ago, a chain-of-command interpretation shared by offensive tackle Max Starks and, apparently, many among the rest of those responsible for Ben Roethlisberger's protection.

"Alan was the most tenured guy in our organization, so naturally you looked to him," Starks said. "Larry even looked to him. It was one of those things where Coach Zierlein came in and he was more like a moderator and kind of an intermediary guy. Alan was the one that kind of guided everybody.

"Now, he's gone, and it's Larry's entire offensive line."

Colon said he wasn't attempting to portray Faneca as some sort of "pirate captain."

And Starks insisted Zierlein "automatically had our respect because he was our position coach."

But in terms of actual coaching as it related to terminology and technique, Faneca, Starks said, was "kind of adamant" about still doing things the way he'd been doing them.

The veterans, thus, spoke Faneca-ese. The younger linemen listened to Zierlein's lingo. Lost in the translations at times was clarity regarding who should be blocked and how.

Now, the O-line is finally speaking what Starks defined as a "universal language," one that has "unified" and "simplified" the approach up front.

"It has nothing to do with any individual," Zierlein said. "It has to do with continuity and time.

"Alan Faneca is 100 percent pro. He did nothing but play his butt off and study. He did everything right. I think the world of the guy. I've known him for years. I recruited him (to LSU).

"Alan was the leader of the offensive line. We had a transition. There's always a transition. All I know is we were third in the league in rushing last year, and we gave up less sacks than they did the year before (49), so it's not like everything just went (downhill)."

Perhaps not, but with Faneca gone, there's reason to believe that's an inevitability this season.

Zierlein believes otherwise, and was confident enough on Wednesday to declare his starting unit "pretty well set," other than the competition at center, which will be decided between Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig during preseason games.

Colon's a believer, too. And now that the terminology has been solved, there's no fear of a car passing by five Steelers offensive linemen and being identified as "red" by three of them and as "blue" by the other two.

"We're all gonna say it's the same color," Colon said. "Hopefully, it doesn't hit us."
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Coach Zierlein can finally coach?

I guess we will see what Zierlein can do now with Faneca gone we will see if that was the problem so it was Fanecas fault that our line gave up all the sacks last year.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-Troy's-Hair View Post
Colon said. "Hopefully, it doesn't hit us."
Ah, hopefully it doesn't hit Ben.
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................. could explain alot.

Or not .
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
Ah, hopefully it doesn't hit Ben.
Indeed.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote