Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Mendenhall candid about life, past and present

Steelers' Mendenhall candid about life, past and present
By The Tribune-Review
Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rookie Rashard Mendenhall, the first running back selected by the Steelers in the first round of the NFL Draft in 19 years, sat down for a chat with the Trib's John Harris:
Q: What is the ideal number of carries for you to get in a game? How many is too many?

A: I'll take 10 with 150 yards -- 15 yards a carry. The least carries with the most yards. Not really (too many carries). Whatever the game permits.

Q: Three traits you'd love to borrow from other running backs?

A: The speed of 'Fast' Willie (Parker). LaDainian Tomlinson's feet. Brian Westbrook's elusiveness.
Q: On May 5, 2008, while walking in Chicago, you were robbed at gunpoint. Fortunately, you were not hurt. What did you learn from that incident?

A: I don't really think about it too much. I think that in itself, that was just a learning experience. You've got to be more conscious of where you are being in the NFL now. People don't see you as the same, so you've got to be conscious of what's going on.

Q: What criticism about you is most unfair?

A: I don't really trip on media criticism. The people around me, that's the thing I pay attention to and keep track of. Your coaches and players, what they say about you, that means something.

Q: You are not a big fan of (Illinois coach) Ron Zook. Why?

A: I don't have anything against him. That was just my experience in college. I don't have any problems with him.

Q: Your first two years at Illinois you didn't start. You thought about transferring but your brother, Walter, helped influence you to stay. What did he say, and are you glad you stayed?

A: I didn't think about transferring. I was at a point where I wasn't sure if I wanted to play or not. It wasn't like I couldn't handle anything, but with all the stuff that was going on, I felt like if this is what football is, I don't want to have a part of it, I don't want this to be my life if this is what it is.

Q: Walter then transferred to Illinois State from Illinois? Did you agree with his decision?

A: He was kind of pushed into it, but I thought he made a good decision.

Q: What was it like to reach the Rose Bowl?

A: It was cool. To be in California for a week with your teammates, everything like that, it was a fun time.

Q: What was recruiting like?

A: I didn't really go through too much of a recruiting process. I committed to Illinois before my junior season.

Q: What was your proudest moment as an athlete?

A: Probably in track at an indoor state meet my junior year in high school. They invited the top 12 guys in every event. I was there for the 50 and the 200, and I was slated at No. 12 in both of them. I won both of them, and I got MVP of the meet.

Q: What was your most bitter defeat?

A: My junior year in high school, our football team lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Q: You played high school basketball. If you concentrated only on basketball, how far would you have gone?

A: As far as high school basketball, that's about it. I wasn't going anywhere after that.

Q: Most annoying thing is?

A: People who aren't honest or straightforward.

Q: What was you most humbling experience?

A: It was in high school -- the first time I pulled my hamstring my junior year. Up until that point, I was the man. From my sophomore to junior year, I never lost a 100-yard race until that day. As soon as that happened, the next meet this guy on our team ran a fast time, and everybody completely forgot about me. After all I did, people completely forgot about me. From then on, I was like all this is short-lived. Whatever I do today, as soon as it's gone, it's not going to be like that. So that's been my attitude.

Q: Boyhood idol?

A: I didn't really have an idol coming up. Probably my brother.

Q: Best Christmas present?

A: Everybody had those little army men, the green and brown ones. I had the planes and tanks with it, that whole set-up.

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: Terry Crews -- he played Damon on 'Friday After Next.' I'd go to dinner with him and the creator of the Boondocks cartoon (Aaron McGruder). And probably Corinne Bailey Rae (English singer, songwriter and guitarist).

Q: Favorite new song?

A: That's tough. I listen to mostly older songs.

Q: Favorite old song?

A: Anything by the the Isley Brothers.

Q: Favorite book?

A: I just finished a book I really like -- Raising Fences by Michael Datcher. That was a real cool book. I write, and a lot of the book was poetry. Just the poetic feel of it.

Q: You have to move to a new house and buy all new stuff. What three things from your old house would you want to bring?

A: My PlayStation 3. My notebook where I write. And my CD collection. I write a lot of things. I write poems, the spoken word, I write songs. That's what I do outside of here is just relax.

Q: If you could get God to answer one question, what would it be?

A: Is he going to let me in heaven.

Q: Something people are surprised to learn about you?

A: My nature outside of football. I'm real chilled as far as writing, reading. I love learning, conversation, picking up anything I don't know. That's what I'm into.

Q: What question would you like to ask the media?

A: Do they ever feel bad about the stuff they say and write that they know isn't right?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_580831.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Rick97
Water Boy

Member Number: 2343
Default Re: Steelers' Mendenhall candid about life, past and present

Mendenhall being a first-round pick, I expected him to be an outstanding football player, but I didn't expect him to be somewhat of an intellectual (it's not like a lot of the powerhouse colleges put a strong emphasis on academics as far as their players go). It's refreshing to hear a great athlete be interested in poetry and having an eclectic taste in music. Notch up another solid character-pick by the Steelers.
Rick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,352 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nice read I like Mendenhall he seems like a down to earth guy.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

10 carries for 150 yards. That would be awesome
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

I really like this guy. His "Road to the NFL" on the Big Ten network was really good, he seems down to earth and intelligent.
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

He is going to be a powerhouse and will totally change our running game. He and Willie together are going to be an awesome combo. I'm excited about watching him progress.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

What I like... is that his feet seem firmly planted in the ground.

Sure, the guy is young. he is going to make mistakes based on immaturity.

BUt given the time and the space, this kid is going places.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,043 Times in 3,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

BUt given the time and the space, this kid is going places.
hopefully not india.

we wont have to worry about him thugging, but he does have a quiet, docile type of personality like (dare i say) rickey williams.

....without the chemical balance of course!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

"Q: Most annoying thing is?
A: People who aren't honest or straightforward.

Q: What was you most humbling experience?
A: It was in high school -- the first time I pulled my hamstring my junior year. Up until that point, I was the man. From my sophomore to junior year, I never lost a 100-yard race until that day. As soon as that happened, the next meet this guy on our team ran a fast time, and everybody completely forgot about me. After all I did, people completely forgot about me. From then on, I was like all this is short-lived. Whatever I do today, as soon as it's gone, it's not going to be like that. So that's been my attitude. "

Dishonesty and myopia. Both have reached epic and now historic proportions. And quite frankly, if possible, the language is not strong enough. Or the Sell signals.

So if Mendenhall isn't the next LT - and we don't need him to be for the pick to be a success - to know he is wired 'rightly' should give comfort to everyone when leaves the NFL.

Part of the solution. Not the problem. I'm looking forward to his first pubications.

P.S. Good Rose Bowl performance...you delivered some gashes. I liked the final score though too.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
MONTANA GRIZ
Water Boy

Member Number: 7369

The question where he asked what you would ask God was a wierd question.

I like RM, I get the feeling we won't be having any off the field issues with him. It does kind of scare me that he almost quit football, if he thought Illinois was cutthroat, the NFL is about 10 times more intense. Although, I don't know what the situation was, it just seems wierd he was ready to walk away from football.
MONTANA GRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote